Trailer brakes issues. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jaybmiller3
Block Heater

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Trailer brakes issues.

I own a 2004 Lb7 Sierra, with a Curt triflex trailer brake controller on it and a 18ft custom equipment hauler with tandem 7k Dexter axles on it that I use to haul around materials, 2 lawn mowers, and a mid sized tractor. About a month ago, my brake stopped fluctuating between the number I had set the brake for and remained at 0.5 all the time. Adjusting the limit doesn't do anything, with just the mowers are on there it doesn't seem to notice, but hauling around the tractor or a few tons of materials has pushed me a little farther than I'd like for brake pressure. I've googled the brand and getting stuck at .5 but found nothing. I haven't serviced the trailer since I bought it about a year ago, and I planned on repacking/replacing bearings and such relatively soon, but I've never done anything to the brakes on the trailer and not really sure what I should be looking for while I got the tire off. anyone got an idea or suggestion for the cause, where to check, or what to fix? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

To me, that sounds like either the TBC has failed, or it's in a some kind of failure mode (as in, it thinks something is wrong and is perhaps trying to display an error code?).

I would first try to determine if the truck is the problem or the trailer, by hooking up to another trailer with brakes and seeing if the TBC works or not. And maybe contact Curt directly and see what they say about the TBC staying at .5.

As for working on the brakes, I also bought a 18'/dual 6K axle trailer last year, and finally looked at the brakes this spring (should have done it last year, but I also don't haul heavy stuff, just needed a larger platform to haul equipment around), and they are pretty straightforward drum brakes. One side worked fine, the other side didn't work, as the P.O./manufacturer ran the wiring through the axles, and the wiring had worn through rubbing where it came out. I ripped it out and replaced it with new paired wiring strapped to the outside of the axle.

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2019, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Page 17 shows bench test for unit
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1556915673331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
cptdondo
Self Ignition

First things first. Get some battery terminal cleaner and spray the connector. Clean it out really well. Then, if you have it get some Deoxit and coat the terminals. If you don’t have deoxit get some dielectric grease and do the same. It may just be a bad connection. Also make sure that you have a good ground; too many trailers are grounded through the ball and that’s not a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in