Trailering mirrors - trouble with view - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
tettruck
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Trailering mirrors - trouble with view

I just bought a new 2018 LTZ 2500HD.... relunctantly, because my old 2006 HD was doing just fine. It was my left knee that ain't doing so well, and the '06 is a Duramax stick.

Anyway, I trailer a lot. Never had any issue with my '06 which has STANDARD mirrors, backing a trailer into weird and tight spaces, turns, across traffic, etc. But I cannot see well at all out the passenger mirror of the 2018. It's a huge mirror, but the field of view is too small to capture the scene around the trailer so that I can adjust my steering inputs. Backing straight is no issue. It's turns using the passenger side that is a real issue for me. Also making it more frustrating is the electronic mirror controls on the driver armrest. I click it to the passenger mirror to adjust it, and a few seconds later, it's off. I have to fumble around to select it again before I can adjust the mirror.

The '06 just had a mechanical switch that left the mirror side selection set. Way better, IMO. I would just keep one finger on the adjuster and move the mirror as needed on the fly. Anyway, I may get used to this, but the field of view of the passenger side mirror just seems wrong.

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions are appreciated!

TT

- - - -

Soon to be for sale:

2006 LLY ZF-6 manual - factory ordered
Blue Granite Metallic
Bilstein shocks
Frederico Racing Front & Rear Sway Bars
Bridgestone Revos 265's
- - - -
1989 F150 XLT 4WD 5-speed manual gasser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
rdminter
Diesel Nut

Check out the Kodiak mirrors, they are great for towing. I dont know if they share the same wiring controls for changing the angle.

Prodigy wireless brake controller. Iridium Sat phone, pcv reroute, boost guage.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Your needs are why this was an available option https://www.gm-navigation.com/shop/2...towing-system/

I know of no other solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
tettruck
Glow Plug

I'll look into the above suggestions. Thanks. But tonight, I had to back my 25 ft 10K trailer off a typical residential street 90 degrees into my long driveway, in the dark and rain. Thank goodness I installed 2000 lumens of aux reverse lighting. Even tho, those damn mirrors.... the buttons are not intuitively placed, and I invariably hit the center button which folds in the mirrors. WRONG. Then, I have to wait almost 10 seconds before "the switch" will allow me to make another selection - right or left mirror. I'm sorry GM, but this is just plain stupid.

- - - -

Soon to be for sale:

Blue Granite Metallic
Bilstein shocks
Bridgestone Revos 265's
- - - -
Old 02-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
SAYWHAT
Diesel Boss

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

GM just keeps making improvements that are not so good. Love the factory towing mi
rrors on my 07. Work like a charm empty or towing!
2007 Classic GMC D/A Ext. cab,s.b.,built 11-2006,Di*Priol boost and pyro gauges,GT3794VA turbo, Edge Insight CTS,Garmin GPS,MBRP catback exhaust,300* hose permanent fix tranny cooling lines,M/A pump rub kit,Prodigy bc,Reese 16,000 lb. slider 4-way tilt hitch.Luverne SS side steps,Truxedo bed cover, Duraflaps all 4 corners, Michelin LTX M/S 2 tires and Bilstein shocks.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
SaguaroKid
Forum King

Can you leave your seat in the normal position then move the mirror to the second pos. you want then hit the memory seat to pos. 2?

" I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Unknown

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2019 Chevy 3500 SRW CC Duramax/Alli LTZ. Stock.

Last edited by SaguaroKid; 03-02-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
tettruck
Glow Plug

After several more experiences backing up the trailer into my drive, it is just SOooo frustrating. What took me 5 minutes in my 2006 w/o trailer mirrors took me at least 15 minutes last night. Just can't friggin see enough of the trailer and the nearby surroundings to read the angle/path of the trailer. That, combined with the brightness of the nav screen with the (useless) backup camera makes it harder to see the passenger side mirror. I have to throw a shirt over the screen. And then the mirror controls... ARrrrGH !!

The biggest problem is the field of view of the main/big part of the passenger mirror. It's really just plain/flat field, like the driver's side which doesn't capture enough view and requires constant adjustment/fiddling of the darn mirror controls.

GM really goofed on this. I can't even think of a fix right now. I hate the thought of living with this.

GM ....you listening ????? I've had GM 2500 trucks since 1984, and, well...

- - - -

Soon to be for sale:

Blue Granite Metallic
Bilstein shocks
Bridgestone Revos 265's
- - - -
Old 03-31-2019, 10:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Head

Convert the 2006 to an automatic?

Maybe an aftermarket mirror for the 18?

1998 K3500 CrewCab 4x4 DRW Turbo Diesel SOLD

#1162 Dually Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in