Question: AirLift 57338 vs Firestone 2596 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Icutmetl
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

AirLift 57338 vs Firestone 2596

Considering adding airbags to my new 2018 2500HD SLT All Terrain Duramax. Torn between the Firestone & AirLift systems; the AirLift is cheaper. My truck has the factory 5th wheel kit installed, so it appears that for the AirLift kit, I would need to drill into my frame and use the included 3/8” self tapping bolts. I don’t really want to do the compressor system at this time, and will probably tie the air lines together. The truck is not a daily driver, and I’m just looking for extra stability for occasional heavier loads, such as a pair of snowmobiles on a sled deck. I guess the only thing keeping me from the cheaper AirLift kit is the whole “drilling into my frame on a new truck” thing.

Also; if I were to install a 1”-2” lift block in the future, is it easy to adjust the mounting of either airbag system to compensate?

Thanks for your guys’ input!

Last edited by OkDually; 12-08-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
dangerfield69
Clutch

Timbrens

Old 12-09-2018, 04:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Icutmetl
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfield69 View Post
Timbrens[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/thumb.gif[/IMG]
I’ve been considering those as well!
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Superstar

I tried the Timbrens, too rough with a load. I have Firestone now, very happy with it, lines tied together. I carry a small compressor that I plug into the RV plug, takes about 30 seconds to get the pump, plug it in, air up the bags, and put it back.
265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Duramax.com tow tune w/turbo brake
PPE Dual Fueler (P0087 cure)
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges/Edge CTS
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Merchant remanufactured transfer case 748,000
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
Suncoast trans and 1700 stall converter @ 748,000
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Oregonnovaguy
Diesel Pro

Very happy with my AirLifts, but I have a 2007.5. Easy, no-drill installation. I like the adjustability. Never had Firestones so I can't compare.

2007.5 Silverado LTZ / Z-71, 4x4, Crew Cab SB, Silver Birch/ Ebony Leather, , 150k + miles, , etc. Gearbox Z, Air Lifts
Montana High Country 310RE
My Other other Car: 70 Nova SS 350, 4 speed, posi, Fathom Blue, frame-off resto, original owner!
Previous Trucks: '03 Silverado CC gasser 4x4, '99 Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4, '77 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4, '76 Datsun 620.

Read the DISCLAIMER in my garage.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Icutmetl
Clutch

I ended up picking up a set of SumoSprings SSR-206-47 off of their website; got 25% off & free shipping. Figured they were worth a shot for a hair under $138. They should ride softer than Timbrens, although they have less capacity. I figure at that price, I’m not out a lot if they don’t work, and can always pony up for Timbrens or bags in the future. Firestone bags are the only no-drill installation for my truck, since it has the factory gooseneck prep kit. The AirLift kit would require a pair of 3/8” self tapping bolts in the upper frame rail.

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssr-207-47/
Old 12-11-2018, 04:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Icutmetl
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO1320 View Post
I tried the Timbrens, too rough with a load. I have Firestone now, very happy with it, lines tied together. I carry a small compressor that I plug into the RV plug, takes about 30 seconds to get the pump, plug it in, air up the bags, and put it back.
That’s exactly what I’d do, too. A small compressor underneath the rear seat. Would be more than fine for how often I’d have to use them.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
gmc502
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO1320 View Post
I run 2 separate lines to my license plate mounting holes and carry a ryobi battery air compressor(https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...6159256).super simple
SoCal 5-6 speed conversion

2016 Denali Dmax white w/ black leather,leveled,stock for now
Old 12-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
LikeABoss
Gear Grinder

I have Firestone. They work great. I also just use a portable Viair compressor. I would suggest the Daystar cradles if you go airbags. You don’t need to bolt to the axle and they won’t affect your ride at all when not aired up. It will be very easy to add the lift spacer then if you end up needing to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rusty Scupper
Diesel Starter

Had firestones with a manual fill. They worked flawlessly. Just a pain to fill up, then if you unhook release the air then have to fill back up. I didn't have a portable compressor.

On my 2011, went with load lifter 5000 with internal jounce and the wireless air. Predrilled for the screws and snapped a couple off. Couldn't drill it out, so moved compressor so more holes. I continually had leaks in the T hose connectors. I replaced all the connectors, new tubing, still had issues with leaks. In theory this would have been a slick setup. Sold the 2011 2500 for a 2016 3500. No more air bags for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in