Tow rating question 2011 and newer - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MTU alum
  • 1 Post By MTU alum
  • 2 Post By MTU alum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
mikeinga
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Tow rating question 2011 and newer

I was wondering if anyone can tell me why on the 2500hd the towing capacity drops over 2000 lbs when its a 4x4 vs 2x4 but on the 3500hd capacity only drops a 200lbs or so?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Hitch classes. Gvwr. Gcvwr.

Google.

Legal limits by drivers license(in the US... Canada and other counties I have notta clue);
C=0-13,000LBS
B=13,001-26,000LBS
A=26,001-80,000LBS (over 80 legal only on logging rds... things of that nature)

So your 2500hd fits within the class c limits.

hope this helps

Last edited by jnlperformance; 11-14-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Oregonnovaguy
Diesel Pro

On my 2007.5 2500, there is only 200# difference between the 4x2 and the 4x4, since that is roughly the weight of the TC, front diff, and related gear. All the parts are identical between the 2500 and 3500 with the exception of the addition of rear overload springs on the 3500. Too much voodoo around towing and hauling capacity, especially since they adopted the SAE methodology. My guess is the lawyers have way too much influence on these ratings.

2007.5 Silverado LTZ / Z-71, 4x4, Crew Cab SB, Silver Birch/ Ebony Leather, , 150k + miles, , etc. Gearbox Z, Air Lifts
Montana High Country 310RE
My Other other Car: 70 Nova SS 350, 4 speed, posi, Fathom Blue, frame-off resto, original owner!
Previous Trucks: '03 Silverado CC gasser 4x4, '99 Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4, '77 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4, '76 Datsun 620.

Read the DISCLAIMER in my garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
mikeinga
Gear Grinder

That is what I thought from my understanding all the drive train is the same just heavier springs. What is weird is some years show that big discrepancy and other years don't
Old 11-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
MTU alum
Diesel Pro

The difference is likely in difference in EPA curb weights between the two models chosen. The SAE procedure requires you use your EPA vehicle mass as your curb weight. EPA mass must include any option that has a take rate over 33%. A lot of the 4wd models use a Denali or high country as EPA model whereas a similar 2wd model may use work model. That is how there can be a large towing difference.

Ultimately to find your particular vehicle max gooseneck/fifth wheel trailer rating, you need to weigh your vehicle with cargo that you have in weigh in vehicle. Subtract this number from GCW and you can tow this amount if you don't exceed the Rgawr and GVW of the truck with trailer attached. You need to be below GCW, GVW, and RGAWR to meet the specs of the truck.

SOLD:
2003 LB7 ECSB 4X4
Tuxedo cover
LT265/75R16 Michelin MS2

Senior Development Engineer
Vehicle Dynamics
General Motors Milford Proving Grounds
Old 11-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
MTU alum
Diesel Pro

According to SAE:

Tow Vehicle Trailering Weight is base vehicle curb weight plus one 68.0 kg (150 lb) driver and one 68.0 kg (150 lb) front seat passenger plus 45.4 kg (100 lb) of optional equipment split evenly between front and rear axles plus the tow available trailering package and/or any required trailering content and representative aftermarket trailering equipment as specified in 5.2.

SOLD:
2003 LB7 ECSB 4X4
Tuxedo cover
LT265/75R16 Michelin MS2

Vehicle Dynamics
Old 11-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
MTU alum
Diesel Pro

I was actually incorrect. For vehicles over 8600 lbs GVW, you use the base curb weight plus two passengers (300 lbs), 100 lbs cargo, hitch weight.

Vehicles under 8600 lbs GVW use EPA mass.

In general, this is for advertising only. Each truck will have its max trailer weight based on your cargo minus GCW.

SOLD:
2003 LB7 ECSB 4X4
Tuxedo cover
LT265/75R16 Michelin MS2

Vehicle Dynamics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in