LMM: Temps when towing - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailRiderHD View Post
Anyone? I had the clutch fan changes and coolant flushed and it was even worse on the tow home got up to 233 and i let off because i was scared of overheating? Is this normal? I thought fan kicked on at 228
One thing you need to understand is that the lockup on the fan clutch is not DIRECTLY tied to the coolant temperature. There is no direct/electrical link between the two. When the fan clutch gets hot enough, it will lock up, but not until then. Cleaning the cooling stack, particularly that area directly in front of the fan clutch, so that air passing thru to the fan clutch is the best way for the air to hit your fan clutch at ~the same temp as the radiator.

I just came home to Kansas from a trip to the mountains of Colorado with the Arctic Fox in tow. I-70 goes up to 11,158 at the Eisenhower Tunnel and my temp gauge was at about the 2PM position for part of that uphill pull. I reduced speed from 60 to 50. Fan did turn on, engine temps came down to 12PM position on the temp gauge. I'd tell you what temp my CTS said, but it burned up about a month ago.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers

Last edited by Ron Nielson; 07-09-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
oldschoolbowtie
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailRiderHD View Post
Anyone? I had the clutch fan changes and coolant flushed and it was even worse on the tow home got up to 233 and i let off because i was scared of overheating? Is this normal? I thought fan kicked on at 228
This is why GM built a "buffer" into the factory temp indication on dash. The truck is a monster and when towing some variation in temperature is normal. I watched the CTS 2 go from 205 to 225 and factory needle didn't move but say a millimeter or so. 230 on a grade or running hard aint gonna hurt as long as it comes back when you let off.

The clutch fan is not a precision instrumented piece of gear.

The other issue is there is a lot of hot coolant in the ole Duramax so it takes a minute to turn it back

when its cool make sure its got all the air vented out and is full

I am not thinking you have an issue especially if ambient temps are warm and you run hard or have a tune

make sure the stack is clean

2007.5 3500HD Silverado LTZ
Kennedy Custom Tune Banks Intake and 4 " exhaust, Air Dog 150, Leveled front end, aftermarket upper control arms, tie rod end sleeves, bypass oil filter, Pusher 3" "hot side" charger tube, aFe Turbo inlet pipe, PPE deep Trans Pan with temp gage, 2 low mod for front differential disable, PACBRAKE 5000# Air Bags with remote on board air...otherwise stock

1953 Chevy truck 496 2 NOS kits ...otherwise stock

1927 Roadster 383 2 NOS kits chassis car (street legal)// otherwise stock

Last edited by oldschoolbowtie; 07-23-2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: sp-1
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in