LMM: Air Bags or not .. that is the question - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2018, 11:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
carhauler
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

A good set of the new 7500LB bags by airlift or riderite ( firestone) along with a continuous duty cycle Viair compressor or better with something like Airlift Smart Air leveling system is good, you will spend a little more than the bare bones minimum but will be happier , you can get rid of the overloads and set the air to just hit the bags empty and get a improved ride, a 2" lowering shackle will work with the overloads on a 3500 (just remove pads and then easy to put back) if 3/4 ton I don't think they have a top overload. I ran a system like this for hundreds of thousands of miles with 0 problems and it is a "set and forget" system with just a little maintenance. If you put a tank on it with a air chuck in the bed you have onboard air for inflating tires ect as well which is really nice. I also ran 2 trucks with Bags only and never had a problem, I would do that again without thought if they made a kit like I had but there is not one out there I like and also I don't want to raise the truck at all as it does not work for me. If you look in my garage there are some pictures. Done right air is the way to go!!!

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 12:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
oldschoolbowtie
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntrlCalDmax View Post
Run them if you have a reason to. I lowered the rear and removed the overloads so I run bags to replace the removed overloads and to maintain the same height loaded or unloaded. Like hauler said, auto leveling is the way to go.

With a 10K trailer I'm surprised you're 3500 is sagging.
not really sagging but with the leveling kit for unloaded ride it sits funny little low in rear with trailer loaded

2007.5 3500HD Silverado LTZ
Kennedy Custom Tune Banks Intake and 4 " exhaust, Air Dog 150, Leveled front end, aftermarket upper control arms, tie rod end sleeves, bypass oil filter, Pusher 3" "hot side" charger tube, aFe Turbo inlet pipe, PPE deep Trans Pan with temp gage, 2 low mod for front differential disable, PACBRAKE 5000# Air Bags with remote on board air...otherwise stock

1953 Chevy truck 496 2 NOS kits ...otherwise stock

1927 Roadster 383 2 NOS kits chassis car (street legal)// otherwise stock
Old 03-02-2018, 11:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
oldschoolbowtie
Diesel Nut

Is it normal

My enclose car hauler puts the truck down to overloads

Is this Normal??

Trailer usually runs about 10-11k with a big car in it is rated for that so the trailer is not overloaded its just heavy

it pulls good and tracks and stops good but I watched today and when you load it it goes right to overloads

2007.5 3500HD Silverado LTZ
Kennedy Custom Tune Banks Intake and 4 " exhaust, Air Dog 150, Leveled front end, aftermarket upper control arms, tie rod end sleeves, bypass oil filter, Pusher 3" "hot side" charger tube, aFe Turbo inlet pipe, PPE deep Trans Pan with temp gage, 2 low mod for front differential disable, PACBRAKE 5000# Air Bags with remote on board air...otherwise stock

1953 Chevy truck 496 2 NOS kits ...otherwise stock

1927 Roadster 383 2 NOS kits chassis car (street legal)// otherwise stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
steakman
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Well, I've pulled 32' bumper pulls and used a Weight Distributing set up - Reese Anti Sway. It was ok but the rear did sag a bit. I now have a 26' older 5th wheel and a set of air bags - I simply love the bags...I know i'm not overweight but it sure improves the stance and the ride. I don't have on board air...(am thinking about it though!!), but a simple bicycle foot pumps works just fine to get them up to 25psi...its all I need.

Theo
355,090 miles (571,465km)..
Orig: Injectors/cp3
HG's - ARP Studs: Sep '15..

Pulling a 2003 Canadian Built - Citation 26RKS 5th Wheel

Alberta Coal Roller Member Numero Uno

Old 06-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
6686L
Diesel Starter

I find this "thread" puzzling.

My 2005 3500 crew cab "dulie" and its replacement, also our "new" 2013 3500 crew cab "dualie" had the same problem for us - we occasionaly use it as a "back-up 2nd car" (its prime use is to haul either of our 11,000 lb. trailers.

So in either case we are talking about at least an 1,100 lb. tounge load on our "bumper pull".

We dispensed with the "forward rake" by having a shop remove one leaf from the (rear, obviously) main "spring pack". This reduced (but did not eliminate) the wild "forward rake". It also gave us a significant improvement in ride (bone stock these things will shake your innards out on rough roads).

Yes - with the "bumper pull" loads we now impose on the rear suspension, the chassis is now low enough to that the truck's "spring limit" platforms just barely touch the "over-load" spring ends.

I am having trouble imagining how a "bone stock" 3500 could get enough load to make it level, even with one leaf removed. Help me out here.

In both cases, the trucks came "bone stock" with an incredible 'forward rake" - the 2013
2013 Chev. 3500 Duramax/Allison crew cab pick up 80K miles at purchase. ( June 2018 ) White in color. Bone-stock except for air shocks in rear (to compensate for removing one rear spring from the spring-pack to give a decent ride on those occasions when not towing heavy loads ! ). Added small winch in pick-up bed to help load our jet ski up its ramp. Normal use is towing approx. 11,000 lb. trailers ( our Bayliner on its 3 axle, or my '38 Packard V-12 in its "box" trailer. Air box modified to accept a cabin air filter the system was obviously originally designed for!
Old 06-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolbowtie View Post
I have 3500HD LWB SRW and I pull a 30ft enclosed trailer off the class 5 hitch

the trailer is around 10K and I am thinking that air bags might be a good idea to level the truck. It would also give me on board air also.

I know its not required as I have towed without them but I think it would help with stability if I can get the truck to sit level and it will keep me off the overloads on bumps.

agree? if no please educate me

Thanks
Years ago....

My boss called and complained to me that his 3500 4x4 LLY Dually (and later his LBZ of same) would bounce when empty going down the San Diego freeways. So I took them to a 4x4 shop and had the rear springs changed to a lower capacity Deaver spring. Softer ride w no bounce accomplished. BUT, to get back the weight carrying capacity WHEN NEEDED, I had a big rig truck shop install in-cab adjustable air bags. A perfect set-up. The nice air compressor allowed for the train horns he also wanted and onboard air as needed for whatever. He used most often to fill kid's toys. I drove those two trucks all over the country. Empty and loaded. And could set the perfect ride no matter what.

If I had the money, need or issue, I'd replicate what I did back then to any ride. Zero complaints.

The ONLY issue I ever had was keeping the Michigan salt from rusting the components. I suggest you take the extra steps of sealing / rustproofing it better than the shops will.

Additionally, I replaced his stock shocks all the way around with in-cab adjustable Rancho 9000s. This really was a perfect set-up for all occasions.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Old 06-05-2018, 02:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

No need to screw with the springs and loosing the carring capacity, then have to add airbags just to bring it back up, but still not what it was built for.

Sulastic Rubber Shackles on the rear softens the ride when empty and you still have the carring capacity, then add airbags to help even more.
Way less labor doesn't take away from anything, only makes it better.
There's no way I would lighten up my suspension from what the truck was made for, when something like this helps a lot with the ride when running solo.

This one is for my truck, wife approved.
Sulastic. Leaf Spring Shackle
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-route
AirDog 4G100

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned
Old 06-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Joey D
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
Years ago....

My boss called and complained to me that his 3500 4x4 LLY Dually (and later his LBZ of same) would bounce when empty going down the San Diego freeways. So I took them to a 4x4 shop and had the rear springs changed to a lower capacity Deaver spring. Softer ride w no bounce accomplished. BUT, to get back the weight carrying capacity WHEN NEEDED, I had a big rig truck shop install in-cab adjustable air bags. A perfect set-up. The nice air compressor allowed for the train horns he also wanted and onboard air as needed for whatever. He used most often to fill kid's toys. I drove those two trucks all over the country. Empty and loaded. And could set the perfect ride no matter what.

If I had the money, need or issue, I'd replicate what I did back then to any ride. Zero complaints.

The ONLY issue I ever had was keeping the Michigan salt from rusting the components. I suggest you take the extra steps of sealing / rustproofing it better than the shops will.

Additionally, I replaced his stock shocks all the way around with in-cab adjustable Rancho 9000s. This really was a perfect set-up for all occasions.
For a dual purpose truck, empty commuting and towing or hauling heavy Id do the same. If it was a truck that only hauled Id just beef up the leafs.
NRA Member, GOAL member
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
chetly
Freeze Plug

I have a 2007 2500hd and i pull a 24ft TPD enclosed trailer. It has tandem 7000lbs axles, a/c on the roof, 3000 watt generator and a 20ft awning. I have a 2950lbs C5 Corvette that goes inside. Even with my load distribution hitch the truck sags a little. Ill be honest, i don't know what the tongue weight is. I do have the car back almost to the rear door so i know its lighter than it could be if i had the car further forward. Ive been thinking about getting some airbags for the truck as well. Just not sure what system i want to go with.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
chetly
Freeze Plug

Photo of said truck and trailer

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170623_200445331_HDR_1530489201961.jpg (52.0 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in