Question: Trailer Paint & Primer - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos_Ride

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
GTO_Gregory
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Icon7 Trailer Paint & Primer

I need to paint my steel 20-foot open car trailer. I'll sand blast off the old epoxy paint, then primer and paint it to end up metallic silver.

The old epoxy didn't hold up well to light chain and cable rubs.

What suggestions are out there for paints, primers and sealers for trailers?

2006 Quicksilver 6-speed GTO ERL LS3-430, All-Pro 285cc heads, 262/273 .758/.742 116+3 cam, Sheet-metal Intake, 70lb Siemens injectors, SLP, GMM Ripshifter, QA1 Coil-overs front and rear, nylon suspension bushings, Hotchkis, RPM Trans, SPEC twin clutch, SpinTech, Kooks 1 7/8 -2.0", BMR drive train, Kaaz 3.91, Lingenfelter CAI, Baer brakes, mini-tubs, E85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
dangerfield69
Self Ignition

I've had all my trailers repainted with Endura

Old 01-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Nut

I've been thinking about redoing my sloan rollback car trailer as the deck paint is cracked and has some rust spots.

To be honest on the steel bed, I've been thinking about prepping it for a bedliner type coating and just use a good epoxy paint on the frame rails etc.

My biggest problem is trying to figure out how I want to strip my steel bed.

With the rollback trailer I'm not sure any type of media blasting is advised - I should contact the manufacturer - but the bearings and everything would be problematic.

1998 K3500 CrewCab 4x4 DRW Turbo Diesel SOLD

#1162 Dually Club
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

why not paint stripper?
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Old 01-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
why not paint stripper?
Yep - an option, but a really really really messy one!

I don't want to hijack this thread...

When I was 18 I was having some work done on my 1968 Chevelle and just hanging out b.s'ing with the owner one day when he asked if I wanted to go to work for him and learn how to do bodywork.

I jumped at the chance, and of course started by sweeping floors etc.

To advance and learn to do bodywork - I had to do it on my own car, between keeping the shop clean etc.

The deal was that he would charge me the same price he'd charge any customer - BUT - I would be doing the work and getting paid to work on it at my hr. wage (not journeyman wages by any means)

Anyway..long story short...I chemically stripped my 1968 chevelle, door jambs, under the hood etc.

I vowed I'd never do a complete car like that again!

And some 37 years later I still haven't

I'd do it only if its the best option for my trailer..but only the deck!

#1162 Dually Club
Old 01-07-2018, 12:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
rdminter
Diesel Nut

Any one have experience removing the decals off an rv? I am getting ready to have my trailer and truck custom painted and wanted to do the prep work myself. I have to remove all the decals and buff out the sides to even out the base color prior to the custom muralist starting his work.
Prodigy wireless brake controller. Iridium Sat phone, pcv reroute, boost guage.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdminter View Post
Any one have experience removing the decals off an rv? I am getting ready to have my trailer and truck custom painted and wanted to do the prep work myself. I have to remove all the decals and buff out the sides to even out the base color prior to the custom muralist starting his work.
Heat Gun to get the decals off.

Sprayable adhesive remover plus a rubber adhesive remover wheel (fits on a drill) for the stubborn spots.

Get ALL the adhesive (and any tar) off before trying to do any buffing.

I'd use a mild abrasive compound to buff..something like a Meguiars #2.. you shouldn't need anything aggressive.

You might also ask your painter what he'd like to see it cleaned with.

Oh yeah...and lotsa patience and elbow-grease... got friends who owe you favors? Kids? Grandkids? Have a party!

#1162 Dually Club

Last edited by Rambos_Ride; 01-07-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

For all the trailers that I’ve built, rebuilt, and refurbished I’ve used Valspar Supreme Primer and Valspar Supreme Acrylic Enamel paint. That paint has held up real well and I haven’t had any complaints from customers about the paint. Like anything, it’s all in the prep. I also use Valspar’s Metal Surface Cleaner on all surfaces before primer which really seems to aid in good adhesion.
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Old 01-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
GTO_Gregory
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfield69 View Post
I've had all my trailers repainted with Endura
I'll give the Endura people a phone call. I looked their web site and most of the colors are solids with the exception of a pearl. They are polyurethane and epoxy coatings.

The trailer currently has an epoxy paint on it and it rusted after one snowy and salty winter trip to upper New York. So, I'm unsure about epoxy paint.

The Ironworks Challenger trailer is eleven years old.
2006 Quicksilver 6-speed GTO ERL LS3-430, All-Pro 285cc heads, 262/273 .758/.742 116+3 cam, Sheet-metal Intake, 70lb Siemens injectors, SLP, GMM Ripshifter, QA1 Coil-overs front and rear, nylon suspension bushings, Hotchkis, RPM Trans, SPEC twin clutch, SpinTech, Kooks 1 7/8 -2.0", BMR drive train, Kaaz 3.91, Lingenfelter CAI, Baer brakes, mini-tubs, E85.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
GTO_Gregory
Diesel Fanatic

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
why not paint stripper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambos_Ride View Post
Yep - an option, but a really really really messy one!

I don't want to hijack this thread...

When I was 18 I was having some work done on my 1968 Chevelle and just hanging out b.s'ing with the owner one day when he asked if I wanted to go to work for him and learn how to do bodywork.

I jumped at the chance, and of course started by sweeping floors etc.

To advance and learn to do bodywork - I had to do it on my own car, between keeping the shop clean etc.

The deal was that he would charge me the same price he'd charge any customer - BUT - I would be doing the work and getting paid to work on it at my hr. wage (not journeyman wages by any means)

Anyway..long story short...I chemically stripped my 1968 chevelle, door jambs, under the hood etc.

I vowed I'd never do a complete car like that again!

And some 37 years later I still haven't

I'd do it only if its the best option for my trailer..but only the deck!
I worked at an Auto Body shop for a couple years and we never chemically stripped paint. That stuff is messy. Given the deck of the trailer is diamond plate I would likely need to wire wheel all the little crevasses.

Thus, I'll lift the trailer on each side with an engine hoist and sand blast it underneath and ontop.

I probably should replace the wheel bearings just to be safe, but I'm confident they'll stay clean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in