Replacing 2007.5 Factory Towing Harness - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
tomsdmax
Diesel Student

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Replacing 2007.5 Factory Towing Harness

Has anyone here done this?
My factory harness was spliced-poorly by the PO and I keep getting the service trailer brake message, especially over bumpy roads, etc.

The dealer quoted $300 for a new harness, curious if anyone knows of a good source to get one.

I will be there again on Tuesday for a recall and will get the part number.

Also- is it reasonable that they charge $100 for the programming update?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

I wouldn't opt to replace the wiring harness unless they GUARANTEED that the problem would be solved. And I' am baffled at why there would be a programming update. I've never heard that replacing wiring would require an ECU update. Get the part number(s) so we can understand what they suggest is the fix.

Where in the harness is the wiring poorly spliced? If they know the wiring is bad, I would think they could easily tape or insulate any problem wires.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
tomsdmax
Diesel Student

I should have clarified, I requested the pricing for the harness because there are a bunch of spliced on it that I don't like and may not be easily be repaired. There are a couple like an inch from the TBCM connector! The problem I get is that if I hit a good bump the service TB message comes up and stays on for a while. Sometimes it doesn't recognize the trailer either.

As far as the programming update, I believe mine is up to date as they didn't ask for money to update it yesterday.

The part number I got was 25843770, they are at $399 and online I can find it for $310. it's the whole friggen thing:
HARNESS. Chassis Wiring. WIRING HARNESS/CHASSIS for Chevrolet. #25917637

I tried finding one used by calling around and they don't want anything to do with it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Nomad Elvis
Diesel Apprentice

Have you tried disassembly and cleaning of the connectors yet? (Inspecting for corrosion on the pins at the same time)

One other alternative would be to get the pins that fit that connector (either from a dealer* or from a place like Digikey) and rebuild the wiring harness you have, replacing all the spliced wires with new ones. Your problem is probably being caused by ONE faulty splice or connection that's affecting the voltage, but the problem is, you don't know which one. replacing wires one at a time allows you to troubleshoot that. Intermittent problems like that are the worst kind because they usually don't last long enough to check for them with a multimeter.

As far as finding a harness at a junkyard, it sounds like you've had a similar experience to mine when calling most junkyards (they act like they don't want to be bothered with little stuff, like they're rather scrap it out). Keep calling until you find a different type of junkyard, maybe out in a rural area, that is easier to work with, and will let you pull the part you need. Not sure where you live, but if it's an urban area, that could be part of the problem. There are a few larger yards that work this way too, like Pick-n-Pull, but most self-serve yards have mostly older vehicles.

* the pins may not have a normal part number, but there's a thread about enabling exhaust brake that describes how ECM connector pins can be bought, a process that should work for the pins you need.

Last edited by Nomad Elvis; 06-14-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in