looking for advice on towing - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By D.Camilleri
  • 2 Post By Sturgeon-Phish
  • 2 Post By Dooner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
chadhd
Sparkplug Hunter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

looking for advice on towing

Hello Im new here and looking for advice.

I have a 2006 gmc crew cab lb 2500hd duramax. Bone stock.

I need to get it ready to tow my toy hauler which is a 2013 voltage 3200.

From reading I gather I need about a 20k 5th wheel hitch, air bags (firestone), and possibly a tuner (efi live).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I want to be able to tow saftly with my set up.

What brands and what gear is recommended for my setup?

Also any good mechanice that can do the work in the los angeles area?
Thanks in advanced for your help

Chad

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

A tune is probably not necessary, but a quality hitch is of utmost importance. Curt, B&W both make good ones. You'll most likely also want air bags. Get one that you can inflate from onboard.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Member #1063 3500 Dually Club
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

just add the 5th wheel hitch,then load the trailer and try it,,i hauled aa 40' 2 car open trailer weighing 20k+ with a stock truck and it did fine
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

Pay attention to your rear axle weights and make sure your tires aren't overloaded. Hook up to the trailer fill with water and camping supplies plus your toys and go find a scale. Measure each axle weight.
2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sturgeon-Phish
Diesel Boss

An added leaf to the overload set would increase the capacity without affecting ride unloaded.
Ensure your tires are the correct load rating.
How often / how far do you plan to tow the camper?
If you have a smaller fuel tank you may want to consider an additional fuel tank but that will reduce available volume of an already small bed.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually LB7 NF2 Federal. Onyx Black, Dark Tint & De-badged, Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; Pace Edwards power tonneau. Isspro EGT & Boost. PPE Boost Valve. Mich. LTX A/T2 LT215/85R16. CTS Insight with backup camera, Air Box mod, Stock exhaust no muffler, Fumato drain valve. B&W turnover with Companion 5th wheel platform, Line-X. Hi/Low Beam light mod. 80 watt LED backup lights . Kennedy Single Pump & Fuel Pre-filter (Thanks John). Weather Tech mats. MA Pump Upgrade with new T case rear half. LDS injectors (Thanks Brent). High Idle mod (Thanks Eric) Hopkins Easylift. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel. Member #1078 3500 Dually Club
Old 05-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dooner
Diesel Nut

These trucks pull amazing in stock form. Tuner not needed. I run only 15 psi in my airbags, and the truck barely squats below level with my 33' 5th wheel toyhauler...and thats with a 1/2 bed of firewood and about 30gal of fuel & misc. stuff in the bed. I went with a 20k hitch for that added peace of mind, even though a 16-18k would've sufficed. Gearing is stock, and gotta love cruise control...just set it and forget it.
'06 Silverado LBZ 2500HD LT CC/LB 4X4, EGR Blocked & Fingered, PCV Reroute, Pro Fab downpipe, Magnaflow High Performance Diesel Cat, 4" MBRP downpipe back system (no muffler) w/5" tip, Fuel Filter Bleeder Valve, Fumoto Valve, Leveled Tow Mirrors, Custom Fabricated Grill Guard with (2) 20" Cree LED Light bars, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Leveling Kit, Air Ride Air Bags, Reese Pro-Series 20K 5th Wheel Hitch, Bilstein 5100's, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/70R17's on chromed H2 rims

2006 Weekend Warrior FS2600 Billet Edition Toyhauler (Sold 1/10/17)
2007 Attitude MKS33 5th Wheel Toyhauler
'19 Can-Am Maverick X3 Max XRS Turbo R
'06 Suzuki LTR450 (Sold)
'07 Suzuki LTZ400 (Sold)
'04 Yamaha Raptor 660 (Sold)
GOT SAND?
Old 05-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Superstar

I agree with airbags, I like the truck to run at unloaded height then the lights are always aimed correctly. If you are going to tow in the mountains a tub tune with a turbo brake is good.
265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Duramax.com tow tune w/turbo brake
PPE Dual Fueler (P0087 cure)
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges/Edge CTS
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Merchant remanufactured transfer case 748,000
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
Suncoast trans and 1700 stall converter @ 748,000
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????
Old 05-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
dnewton3
Diesel Prodigy

Being that he's got a 2500HD I'd have to agree that perhaps airbags are a decent consideration here. The bags should be used to help balance the suspension system within it's capabilities. Don't use the bags as a justification to overload the truck.

I'll take the OP at his word here; that being safety is key. Obvious thing is to make sure all the mechanical items are in good shape. I also have a 2006. Brake lines are a must-do in terms of assuring no corrosion, etc. (I had my brake lines burst open when towing my Kubota and it was a bit scary to say the least). Make sure the brakes are fully functional and not having the pads stick in the brackets, etc. Make sure your wheel bearings (Front and Rear) are in decent shape for the increased loads. Tie rod ends need to be checked. Etc etc ...

I don't know that a tune is really what you'll need. While a tune does help put out more power, that power still has to go through the same drive-line, etc. I'm not a big fan of greater power for the sake of winning an uphill drag race pulling a 5ver. I do understand why some guys like them; I'm just not a fan. It's not like I'm right and they are wrong; personal preference plays a big role here. The LBZ has plenty of grunt to get up any hill with a big load. It may take an extra few seconds in stock form, but it will do the job nicely. To each their own in this regard. Just realize that if you use a tuner, and then don't also upgrade things like your TC and such, you're just moving the stress downstream to some other components. It's like the chain analogy; there will be a weak link somewhere and if you increase power, you're going to make something else fail sooner if you abuse it. The TC and stock C3 clutches are known weak points when a lot of power is added. There are people who use tuners wisely and have no big issues; there are others who are foolish and cannot manage the power increase well. My point is that the stock powertrain is fairly well balanced. Adding a tuner does cause concerns in the long term if not managed as a total system.

As for the turbo brake, in the LBZ trucks there is a factory brake function already in the ECM; he just needs to put in a dash switch and use it. That's what I did and it works great.
Fumoto drain valve / Power Steering Cooler added / Inverted Tranny Cooler / Autometer pyrometer / home-made diff cover / upgraded x-fer case skid plate

Member #2 of the "OIL is OIL" association
I used to use dino oil because I didn't know any better.
Then, I used synthetics because I thought they were "best".
Now, I use dino, because I know the truth!

Last edited by dnewton3; 05-08-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
wild1
Diesel Starter

How heavy is the trailer?
Old 05-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
dangerfield69
Self Ignition

Troll!!! Probably Stuey with his gutless 2016 again lol

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in