Towing 20' Containers - Advice Needed - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By wild1
  • 1 Post By IGO1320
  • 1 Post By KaTruck

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
KaTruck
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Towing 20' Containers - Advice Needed

Hey folks. I'm in need of some recommendations from some experienced "towers'".

Currently in the process of opening a storage facility which units are built out of shipping containers. I need to transport 300 containers about 1 hour from the container pickup site, to the location of the facility.

The companies selling containers offer shipping, but that's generally about $300 to $400 each. I'm confident I may be able to outsource this to a couple of tow companies for approximately $150 to $200 each, or maybe even slightly cheaper via some bids on uship (??). The initial bid of $400 x 300 units adds a lot to the overall cost of the project. I could purchase a truck, do many of the pickups myself, and outsource a bit, and come in under that.

I'm in need of a truck for the facility (just shy of 20 acres), and will need the truck to initially bring containers to the site now, and in the future. The plan is to start with 300 containers and grow to 600 within a couple of years, so we will basically be picking up a lot of them up front, and then steadily picking them up as we go...so will need to be able to pick up as needed.

Additionally, we will offer a large area of car, boat, RV, and heavy equipment parking, and will need to be able to plow the lot and handle any other needs that might arise for the business.

I'm looking for some advice on the options I've come up with.

Option #1 - Purchase something similar to a Ford F350 setup for a 5th wheel along with a gooseneck trailer. The container facility will load the container onto the trailer, and we will have a forklift to unload at our site. The F350 would have many uses around the site.

Option #2 - Purchase a flat bed / roll back tow truck, something similar to an F550 in size. (I don't see anything online regarding folks towing with their roll backs, but we would need to be able to put a plow on it and plow our lot. I don't see this being an issue but need to be sure that works).

Option #3 - ??

Since we need to purchase a vehicle for the facility, I would like to purchase something that can handle transporting containers so we have the flexibility to always go grab one as needed. Need to keep it under-CDL weight. The containers will always be transported empty.

I'm looking at option 1 or 2 plus also outsourcing some of the loads to local tow companies as we would like to get all 300 containers on site within 2 months, and it's going to be a lot of back and forth.

Thoughts or any other options I might consider?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
nsdtk
Diesel Nut

Theres a local company here that uses containers for storage, they use a pickup and a couple semis. They have Landol style trailers for each truck they use to haul the containers on.

1994 Chevy C3500 6.5L NV4500 ,Outrider by Unique Conversion.Dually club # 1077, DE exhaust, Pressure Referenced Wastegate, LED upgrade in progress, In cab Dorman PMD, optical sensor filter removed ( shocked when i saw it was in there). LP Relay mod. Ate a valve, 117,900 Miles. RIP Engine #1,now 2016 GEP Optimizer powered and QuadStar tuned.
1995 GMC C1500 non turbo 6.5L 4L60E xVDOT truck. High Idle mod. Grey PMD on a FSD sync #9 resistor. Vaccum pump removed. No more EGR. Air intake opened up. 3 inch exaust on a high flow muffler. New push rods, Rockers arms at 246k. Was over10,000ths wear on the rocker arms.1998 style High Flow oil pump installed. Spins tires with little throttle again. 6.2 Injectors.Back running 80mph @ 21mpg. All this and now it won't roll black smoke at all. Just acts like a rocket ship 2004 Leather bucket seats from a Tahoe installed. That was a engineering fiasco glad that's over. Dorman PMD now, Grey one died. Tried number 5 resister again went back to a 9 just a dog with out it.OPS sensor rewired to remove load , fuel pump totally rewired as well. Now QuadStar tuned.
I do not recommend headlights made by Winjet.
OSOB member 330
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
wild1
Diesel Starter

IMO you should have more then one truck. If you rely too much on one vehicle and that vehicle goes down you are screwed. Buy a new truck to haul and a back up truck that can plow or pick up containers if needed. If they are 20' you should be able to buy a big enough trailer to haul two at once. What about delivery? Are you delivering them someone as well? You need to be able to unload elsewhere without a forklift if so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
KaTruck
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsdtk View Post
Theres a local company here that uses containers for storage, they use a pickup and a couple semis. They have Landol style trailers for each truck they use to haul the containers on.
Thanks for the info. Where are you located? Do you know the name of that local company? Interested to check out their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1 View Post
IMO you should have more then one truck. If you rely too much on one vehicle and that vehicle goes down you are screwed. Buy a new truck to haul and a back up truck that can plow or pick up containers if needed. If they are 20' you should be able to buy a big enough trailer to haul two at once. What about delivery? Are you delivering them someone as well? You need to be able to unload elsewhere without a forklift if so.
Good point, thanks. Our intention is to purchase one brand new truck (to be able to own it from the beginning, and maintain it properly). We definitely want hassle free up front and for some time. Having a 2nd used one is a great tip. I do currently own a newer F150, and I've been able to find one company that sells 20' specific container trailers that could be hauled with the F150. Wind resistance might really be an issue though from what I'm reading. However...I don't think hauling 50 miles one way should be too much of an issue. That might a good way to have a 2nd truck and trailer without actually having a 2nd truck...though I like the idea of having an older 2nd truck at the site, just in case.

I've looked at trailers that could haul two 20' containers, and the 350 and I believe 250 would be more than capable of pulling them...though I believe that would put me over the CDL limit.

I've got a good friend with a 2500 who could bumper pull (no 5th wheel capability on his truck). So could help pull a single container on the weekends.

Ultimately we need at least 1 truck at the site, so I would like to buy equipment we could use to save money on the delivery of the containers, around the site for work, and ultimately to continue to bring containers to the site as needed.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
packratt
Diesel Head

I just got a 40' delivered. Company used a 40' gooseneck with hydraulic tilt bed pulled by a 1 ton dually.

1998 Chevy K3500 Dually Silverado extended cab, 4x4, Tangiers Orange (soon to be another color when I can find the money) w/grey interior, 6.5 TD ("F" code engine), Heath Turbomaster, NV4500 through G80 4.10 rear, ZOOM High Performance Clutch, Bilstein shocks, apprx. 260,000 miles 215/85R16

Proud member #427 of the 3500 Dually Club
Old 01-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
KaTruck
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by packratt View Post
I just got a 40' delivered. Company used a 40' gooseneck with hydraulic tilt bed pulled by a 1 ton dually.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Was hoping to keep it under CDL (and could with an F250 size and pulling one 20' container), but thinking I might need to get non-air brake CDL to be able to do an F350 size truck with a 40' gooseneck pulling two 20' containers.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

I would recommend a one ton and trailer for the 20'. Sub contract as needed for initial amount. If you can, get a 7 ft plow for your F-150

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Member #1063 3500 Dually Club
Old 01-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Superstar

Anything you put behind a new "F350" rated truck is going to require the need of a CDL. Total GVWR of the two vehicles will be over 26,001 pounds. Doesn't matter that the actual weight is less.
265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Duramax.com tow tune w/turbo brake
PPE Dual Fueler (P0087 cure)
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges/Edge CTS
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Merchant remanufactured transfer case 748,000
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
Suncoast trans and 1700 stall converter @ 748,000
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????
Old 01-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
KaTruck
Gear Grinder

Correct.

After speaking with our State Police, it was clearly determined that the F350 is out.

F150 or F250 it's going to have to be. Both will fit within the weight limits below CDL, and both will pull one container fine (2 for the F250).

They did mention that I do not need DOT#s in IL for this setup, but I do need to speak with the Illinois Commerce Commission regarding what they feel about me pulling my own containers from where I buy them to my site, and what regulations they think would apply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in