Question: Factory Installed 5th Wheel Prep Package - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel_Dean
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Factory Installed 5th Wheel Prep Package

I have just ordered a 2017 3500HD. I will be pulling a 5th wheel trailer for the first time, after 20 years of pulling bumper pull travel trailers. I did not order my truck with the factory installed 5th wheel prep package, and I'm now having second thoughts that maybe I should have ordered it.

Does anyone have any experience with this GM installed prep package? If so, do you still have to buy a 5th wheel hitch, or is that also included? Who makes the best 5th wheel hitch and what brands should I avoid?

Appreciate your input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

If it has towing package, then all you need is a fifth wheel hitch

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

This thread talks about it a bit. 2016 Factory 5th Wheel Hitch Prep - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

And, post 4 here https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-...ese-holes.html links to the instructions if you don't get the Z6A.

Search "Z6A Silverado" for more, on Google.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
wild1
Diesel Starter

Mine came with the harness for the 5th wheel but not the plug installed. It was easy to install. Drill the hole, cut the zip ties holding the harness above the spare tire, run the harness up to the hole and wire to the plug. For the 5th wheel install I used above bed rails with the chev custom brackets. They bolt up to the frame, you drill the holes through the bed and bolt down the rails. It is easy if you drop the spare tire. I didn't until I was near the end and kicked myself for not dropping it.

Now if you have the puck system you just need to get the correct 5th wheel and drop it into place. Very easy. All depends on which prep package you bought.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Champ

My '16 came with the fifth wheel prep package, and the trailering package.

There are five holes in the floor of the box that have pop off covers. Four of the holes hold the cam lock pockets that the PURCHASED fifth wheel hitch can anchor into. The hitch I bought can have the head removed from the pedestal so that it is a one man removal/install. Mine also came with the goose neck ball for the fifth hole, and the safety chain anchors that use two of the pockets.

Along with both packages, the in box trailer power cord receptacle is in the left rear upper corner of the box so the cord doesn't hang over the box to the bumper receptacle.

All except the hitch was factory installed options. I bought mine from a rural dealer that sells to farmers. The city dealers don't seem to think of those things.

I haven't pulled a trailer yet. But I would insist on those packages for any truck I purchased. In fact I walked away from Denelies that didn't have those options.

'16 Chev 2500HD LTZ Z71, CC, Duramax, Allsion, 4wd, new Sept 2016, has factory fifth wheel prep so added a Curt hitch.

Traded off-'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05, sold at 179,400 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner reset to stock and retained, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, kept the"AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color

Last edited by turnpike; 11-03-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
ColoradoTJ
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dean View Post
I have just ordered a 2017 3500HD. I will be pulling a 5th wheel trailer for the first time, after 20 years of pulling bumper pull travel trailers. I did not order my truck with the factory installed 5th wheel prep package, and I'm now having second thoughts that maybe I should have ordered it.

Does anyone have any experience with this GM installed prep package? If so, do you still have to buy a 5th wheel hitch, or is that also included? Who makes the best 5th wheel hitch and what brands should I avoid?

Appreciate your input.
I was thinking the same thing on my 16 3500, and then seen some videos on the factory setups, and then changed my mind.

This first video is why I changed my mind. I really do not like putting the chain cleats and greasy ball in my cab or someplace that is under lock and key (you know these would be theft items). I personally will go with a B&W Turnover ball hitch.

https://youtu.be/rEalyR4Zl4c

https://youtu.be/-gbjukDBxWU

https://youtu.be/WxBPvkB0eXc
Old 11-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
ColoradoTJ
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTJ View Post
I was thinking the same thing on my 16 3500, and then seen some videos on the factory setups, and then changed my mind.

This first video is why I changed my mind. I really do not like putting the chain cleats and greasy ball in my cab or someplace that is under lock and key (you know these would be theft items). I personally will go with a B&W Turnover ball hitch.

On the first video, skip to 13:15-19:40

Old 11-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTJ View Post
Snipped.....then changed my mind.

I really do not like putting the chain cleats and greasy ball in my cab or someplace that is under lock and key (you know these would be theft items). I personally will go with a B&W Turnover ball hitch.

The GM ball and chain cleats come in a plastic case. You can keep the greasy mess inside the case under the rear seat when not in use.

'16 Chev 2500HD LTZ Z71, CC, Duramax, Allsion, 4wd, new Sept 2016, has factory fifth wheel prep so added a Curt hitch.

Traded off-'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05, sold at 179,400 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner reset to stock and retained, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, kept the"AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color
Old 11-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
ColoradoTJ
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnpike View Post
The GM ball and chain cleats come in a plastic case. You can keep the greasy mess inside the case under the rear seat when not in use.
Yep, well aware of that. I looked at that case, and it is not sealed. I would think a greasy ball odor could be present. A few things I can't stand smelling: grease and gear lube. Weird, I know.

To each their own. I voiced why my mind was swayed from using this design. For most people it would be just fine. I just like the rating, turnover design, and the safety chain u-bolts better.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
jettech
Diesel Champ

I've got a pullrite superglide 5th wheel hitch, with the newer designs on the 5th wheel trailers a sliding hitch probably not necessary. It's pricy but I love it, wouldn't buy any other personally.

2006 Silverado 2500HD ec/sb, 6.6L LBZ, BD exhaust manifold, SD manifold, Airdog 100, S&B cold air kit, MBRP 304 catback exhaust, Tony's PCV reroute, Autometer boost & Pyro on a-pillar, Diablo Predator, 43 gal. Titan fuel tank, Rhino-liner, Retrax cover, TracRac system, Lund Trident bug shield, Schefenacker TTT tow mirrors, Duraflaps, Cobra 29 LX CB, Pioneer AVIC-X910BT head unit, Allison deep pan & filter & Suncoast filter lock with Transynd fluid, MA pump rub fix, upgraded Setrab Transmission cooler, Raptor 5" oval step bars, 16k pullrite superglide 5th wheel hitch, MaxBrake trailer brake controller, CX1042 air horn behind grille, Viair 20007 air source in bed

2006 32ft Forest River Cherokee 285B+ 5th wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in