Trailer hardware maintenance - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OkDually

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
frysl
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Trailer hardware maintenance

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had an idea on what a good lube for protecting undercarriage hardware would be.
I'd like to occasionally spray something on my trailer undercarriage hardware, like the spring shackle bolts, to keep the rust at bay. I've tried WD 40 but it doesn't leave a very thick film.
Thanks
Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frysl View Post
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had an idea on what a good lube for protecting undercarriage hardware would be.
I'd like to occasionally spray something on my trailer undercarriage hardware, like the spring shackle bolts, to keep the rust at bay. I've tried WD 40 but it doesn't leave a very thick film.
Thanks
Steve
Get Fluid Film

Stuff works great Fluid FilmĀ® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2016, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

^^^Yup^^^ WD40 is worthless for pretty much everything.
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
frysl
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkDually View Post
...and according to their website, it's sold at Lowe's!
Thanks!
Old 07-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

The WD in WD-40 stands for water displacement, and it works great for that. The other 99% of the things it's used for have better alternatives. And for the sake of trivia, the 40 stands for the 40th trial combination they tried, similar to Hoppe's #9 being the 9th and final combination (well until the EPA made them remove the most active ingredient).

Fluid film works well and won't trap dirt like grease would. Speaking of grease, don't forget to check your trailer wheel bearings. Besides flats, it's the #1 cause you see trailers parked along side the road. That and people who thing a trailer that's designed to go 50 mph is OK to pull at 75 mph.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 07-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
frysl
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post

Fluid film works well and won't trap dirt like grease would. Speaking of grease, don't forget to check your trailer wheel bearings. Besides flats, it's the #1 cause you see trailers parked along side the road. That and people who thing a trailer that's designed to go 50 mph is OK to pull at 75 mph.
Agree. All freshly repacked last weekend!
Old 07-13-2016, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
ka0ies
Diesel Head

One of, if not the main ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil. It was developed to protect rockets from corroding in the salt air and it will cling to the metal up to a certain air speed. Then it starts falling off the back of the rocket.

Why didn't they just paint the rockets? Paint weighs pounds when put on large surfaces and thus the WD-40 didn't cause as much loss of performance on the older rockets.

That is also the reason some airlines don't paint solid colors on some of their aircraft. The paint would reduce payload and or range. Instead just enough paint for the logo and the livery to keep the name of the company prominent and then polish the rest of the air craft. Weighs less, flashy coming into the airport and more noticeable to the public.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCLB 4WD LBZ ?????? miles, I have replaced a/c condenser, two rubber fuel lines, rebuilt the filter head. The fuel line by the transmission is the one replaced, during the winter. Replaced belt, idler pulleys and tensioner. Whoever designed the front of this thing needs to change the belt on every one of the bloody things! U-joints

Also have replaced speakers in the doors. All in all a good truck. Going to get a seat cover from a friend that is selling their 2001 GMC gasser. Unfortunately the box has been pushed in on passenger side. My fault.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
rdminter
Diesel Nut

Wd40 is often used by fisherman as a lure and bait spray, and acts as a fish attractant.
Prodigy wireless brake controller. Iridium Sat phone, pcv reroute, boost guage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in