towing mpg - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
mccr
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

towing mpg

Curious what kind of mpg people are getting towing a trailer and what the trailer weighs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
rocken robin
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Towing 20 ft toy hauler 6k pounds @ 75mph from kingman az to barstow ca in light wind 8.1 mpg.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
gbhrps
Self Ignition

Tow a 40' 5th wheel RV at 95 kmh/58 mph weighing in at 13 800 lbs. The info center states 11.3 mpg with the Banks 6 Gun Tuner set at stage 2/towing.

I have never done the mileage math by hand ... simply because it is what it is when you tow something this size.
Banks Six Gun Tuner, Banks Intercooler.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Champ

Running an LLY, towing the pictured 5er at about 13,000 lbs. I would not state a flat MPG because there are so many variables to consider.

Generally...... on the flat long haul over 500 miles per day, with no wind and reasonable speed (60 - 65 MPH), I may get 11.5 to 12 miles per US gallon. BUT, I have been down to 6 MPG in a hard pull against a corner wind (worse than head on wind), and as high as 16 MPG with a tail wind. Winter fuel burns 10% more fuel. And the road runs up hill against the wind both ways, eh know.

If you want to go, you pay to play. Newer trucks maybe better, but not enough to pay the mortgage on the new truck unless you run it over 40 hours a week.

'16 Chev 2500HD LTZ Z71, CC, Duramax, Allsion, 4wd, new Sept 2016, has factory fifth wheel prep so added a Curt hitch.

Traded off-'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05, sold at 179,400 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner reset to stock and retained, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, kept the"AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color
Old 06-21-2016, 12:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
terryk
Diesel Champ

12-13 towing 11k lbs on flat ground at 60mph.
E837 HD Radiator w/EOC + E837 Secondary Cooling Radiator w/fan, factory air dam
Earl's trans cooler, Longs Power Steering Cooler
GM Severe Duty brake rotors (SD suffix)
NuWa Hitchhiker II LS 29.5LKTG 5th Wheel (11klbs)
Old 06-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

If you want accurate data, you really need to specify type of trailer, it's weight and terrain towed in by percent, flat vs hilly vs mountains. You also need to specify truck, especially single rear wheel vs dually and crew cab vs extended. Year of truck and 4wd vs 2WD will also cause variations. As the question is currently stated, the responses won't be very meaningful.

Also moved to towing where it belongs.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown

Last edited by Tom S.; 06-21-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
If you want accurate data, you really need to specify type of trailer, it's weight and terrain towed in by percent, flat vs hilly vs mountains. You also need to specify truck, especially single rear wheel vs dually and crew cab vs extended. Year of truck and 4wd vs 2WD will also cause variations. As the question is currently stated, the responses won't be very meaningful.

Also moved to towing where it belongs.
Yep, all of the towing I do is boats. I have three different boats that I have towed 1200 miles one way and the LIGHTEST of the 3 gives me the least mileage.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Old 06-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
mccr
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Sorry for posting in the wrong place. Truck is in my sig, 2005 3500 dually 4x4 crew cab 6.6 auto. The trailer is a 16000 lb [weighs 4200 lbs empty]tilt deck 5th wheel and will be hauling varying loads. The roads around here are hilly , I would say 40 to 50 % flat. I wonder why the lightest of the boats gives the least mpg, maybe driving harder or faster with the lighter load?
Old 06-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccr View Post
Sorry for posting in the wrong place. Truck is in my sig, 2005 3500 dually 4x4 crew cab 6.6 auto. The trailer is a 16000 lb [weighs 4200 lbs empty]tilt deck 5th wheel and will be hauling varying loads. The roads around here are hilly , I would say 40 to 50 % flat. I wonder why the lightest of the boats gives the least mpg, maybe driving harder or faster with the lighter load?
Based on my 06 SRW crew cab 4x4, towing about 3k less, my guess would be yours will average between 8.5 and 9.5 mpg. This will vary with weather conditions and driving techniques. Tire inflation is a mixed issue. For maximum mileage, you want the tires at their maximum pressure for minimum rolling resistance, but doing this will also cause the tires to center wear prematurely. With this weight, you might want to consider adding air bags to level the rear of the truck.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 06-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

My LBZ towing my buddies 21 foot Searay ski boat (guessing 8000 lbs.) with the AC on full blast during 100 degree temps, hilly curvy roads to the lake doing 50 to 60 mpg gets about 12 to 13mpg.

In comparison I average 18 hwy, 16 city empty.

I don't want to brag... but this is like the 5th "End of the World" I've survived.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in