New to 5th wheel. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
SS Duramax
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SS Duramax

New to 5th wheel.

When I bought my truck it came with a 5th wheel hitch, a pullrite superglide 16k. I don't know why a long bed truck has a superglide, but whatever. I haven't had a need for it, but I'm getting a gooseneck car hauler built so I had them put a 5th wheel coupler on it, since I've heard they tow a little better than a gooseneck and I'm already set up for it. I don't know how the superglide works, but will it slide with my trailer? Do I need the special capture plate and if so is there anyway to lock it out so it doesn't move? I don't know exactly what 5th wheel coupler they are going to put on it. The hitch never came with any instructions, so I have no idea whats going on. I've attached some pics. I just don't want to show up to bring the trailer home and have it not attach or mess up my truck/trailer/hitch as I'll be driving cross country early the next day with it loaded up with a 8000lb hummer.

Any tips. What grease should I lube the plate with? Is there a recommended 5th wheel lock, what keeps people from taking the coupler out and stealing the trailer?

1999 Hummer H16.5L TD, Ron Davis Aluminum radiator, HD water pump, Airraid air filter, 37" tires and locker stock

1996 Z28 SS clone.GMMG,KBDDSFC's,Spohn Adj TA w/DS loop,SJM chromemoly adj LCA's and PHB,Strano 1 lowering springs & swaybars,Spohn Road Race K-member with adj upper and lower A-arms,Strange 12 bolt with 4.11's,Pro Race 4L60E with 2800 stall,strange chromemoly driveshaft. 9.2:1 383 TC78(10psi) 600hp 600ft/lbs

Last edited by SS Duramax; 06-19-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
15Chevy2500
Diesel Newbie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Not sure how that hitch slides but in regards to grease, I would buy a Teflon gasket that is designed for a fifth wheel instead of using grease. it will be round and have a hole in the center to put on the king pin of the trailer.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
SS Duramax
Diesel Apprentice

Would this one be fine?
https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe.../dp/B000778LCU

1999 Hummer H16.5L TD, Ron Davis Aluminum radiator, HD water pump, Airraid air filter, 37" tires and locker stock

1996 Z28 SS clone.GMMG,KBDDSFC's,Spohn Adj TA w/DS loop,SJM chromemoly adj LCA's and PHB,Strano 1 lowering springs & swaybars,Spohn Road Race K-member with adj upper and lower A-arms,Strange 12 bolt with 4.11's,Pro Race 4L60E with 2800 stall,strange chromemoly driveshaft. 9.2:1 383 TC78(10psi) 600hp 600ft/lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Champ

That or similar.
Most RV dealers sell then. Cleaner than grease.
You should be able to get the model numbers off the hitch and look up on the net for some instructions. I have never used an automatic slider and I don't know if you can lock it or not.

'16 Chev 2500HD LTZ Z71, CC, Duramax, Allsion, 4wd, new Sept 2016, has factory fifth wheel prep so added a Curt hitch.

Traded off-'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05, sold at 179,400 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner reset to stock and retained, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, kept the"AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color

Last edited by turnpike; 06-20-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
bruceklas
Diesel Newbie

You will need a capture plate, they make weld on or ones that just bolt on with a few bolts. SuperGlide Quick Connect Capture Plates | PullRite Hitches

https://www.amazon.com/PullRite-3366...ite+superglide

you could use these with your setup and just let the hitch automatically slide even with the long bed.

I have heard of a metal block that stops the hitch from sliding, with that setup you would not need the capture plate. I looked but could not find a example.

I had a pullrite on my short bed truck and loved it. With a short bed I would not use any other hitch.

Looking at that hitch, just my opinion, that hitch looks well used. I would have just gone with the gooseneck for the trailer and installed a gooseneck for the truck.

You could sell the slider hitch on craigs list.

You could also use this with your pullrite mounting brackets.Traditional Series SuperGlide Gooseneck Plate | PullRite Hitches
Edge CTS
3500 Dually club member # 1075
Transferflow fuel tank
Old 06-20-2016, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
SS Duramax
Diesel Apprentice

Should the slider rails be greased? I emailed superglide and they say 3317 is the universal capture plate part#.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
SS Duramax
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceklas View Post
You will need a capture plate, they make weld on or ones that just bolt on with a few bolts.
So can I use it without the capture plate, wouldn't it just acts as a regular hitch then? Its my understanding that the capture plate is what makes the slider move, by applying pressure to the top plate instead of just having the king pin move around freely inside the jaws. Obviously I don't need it to slide since its a longbed plus the fact that its a gooseneck.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
bruceklas
Diesel Newbie

I used to use a thin layer of white grease on the rails.

You have to use the capture plate or the hitch would slide back and forth as you accelerate or decelerate.

I have seen where someone made a steel "block" that keeps the hitch from sliding.
I will keep trying to see if I can find the info.
Edge CTS
3500 Dually club member # 1075
Transferflow fuel tank
Old 06-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
SS Duramax
Diesel Apprentice

I have ordered one of pullrites universal capture plates #3317 and will use that. If all else fails I'll order one of their gooseneck adapters that bolts to my rails.

For anyone else searching later, pullrite makes a 5th wheel coupler with the capture plate built in, its part #4424, but order it way ahead of time, because apparently nobody stocks them anymore and they take 6 weeks to build.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
ka0ies
Diesel Head

The white plastic disc around the king pin is a nice cleaner solution over the grease on the plate of the 5th wheel. You still need to grease the kingpin and the hitch jaws though. So there is still some goopiness to the trailer and plate even though it is much reduced.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCLB 4WD LBZ ?????? miles, I have replaced a/c condenser, two rubber fuel lines, rebuilt the filter head. The fuel line by the transmission is the one replaced, during the winter. Replaced belt, idler pulleys and tensioner. Whoever designed the front of this thing needs to change the belt on every one of the bloody things! U-joints

Also have replaced speakers in the doors. All in all a good truck. Going to get a seat cover from a friend that is selling their 2001 GMC gasser. Unfortunately the box has been pushed in on passenger side. My fault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in