Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Towing (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/222-towing/)
-   -   oem hitch sucks (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/222-towing/814634-oem-hitch-sucks.html)

badbowtie1 03-02-2016 06:15 AM

oem hitch sucks

I have a 2003 3500 crew cab dually and called yesterday to reserve a excavator for this weekend and they asked which unit I want I told them which one and they said okay it and trailer weight about 9500-10000 I said okay no problem. They said do you have a truck that is rated for that I said yea they said okay what is it I told them they said okay truck is fine know did gm screw me on a hitch I said I don't know. They asked me to go read the tow sticker on hitch so I did and go figure only rated at 7500 with out bars and 14000 with. So know they will not let me use it. I have never looked at the hitch I know it was the factory hitch and I have pulled 14k several times of hitch and pulled 12-18K of the goose neck several times all different loads. So I called my dad which has a 07 f250 and of course his is worse 6600 with out bars and 10k with. So cant use his truck I just can't believe I am being told know with this truck. I do understand the whole safety thing but get real. I always remember about 8 years ago when I had a half ton and was always told I couldn't rent this or that because I had to have a 3/4 ton or larger and just got fed up so figured but this 1 ton crew cab dually diesel and will not have to hear that ever again and here we are again. Just wanted to vent I hate all this safety rules do to stupidity.

LB-7 03-02-2016 06:36 AM

I agree with you. I never understood why GM makes a truck that is capable of pulling a mobile home but the weakest link is the hitch.

phat rat 03-02-2016 09:40 AM

I agree with you about the hitch. But I don't agree with you on the rules. If they didn't have them some clown would want to haul something like that with an S-10 or such

davester 03-02-2016 03:24 PM

If the ball fits, it's safe to tow!

badbowtie1 03-02-2016 03:34 PM

I understand the rules but what happened to years ago it was just common sense know it seems the whole country has no common sense so they have to have all these jacked up rules. Trust me I understand what to tow and not to tow. I have been towing for years anything from 4x8 trailers to 37' bumper pull camper and 36' foot gooseneck car haulers and 42' horse trailer. I also have been down the road 80K plus with steel on the deck driving semi trucks. I just wish it could just be common sense anymore.

davester 03-02-2016 03:41 PM

What's not common sense? The hitch is rated for 7500 and the trailer is over 9500. That's not a little bit, that's a ton over.

It probably was stupid/cheap for GM [or whoever installed the hitch] to put on that one, but that's what it is. If you want to tow bigger, get a better hitch.

badbowtie1 03-02-2016 04:29 PM

Yea I understand I need to buy a different hitch but really it is still a class 5 and everything I have seen class 5 was always rated for 10k but whatever I will buy another hitch when the extra time and 300 allow for it. But right know I will just use my trailer and will not borrow there trailer. Since I need the excavator in two days and dont have time to order one online and have it in time. I will probably just end up buying the curt 16k with out bars and 17k with bars hitch. In the next week or two.

Post wasnt ment to start a **** match just venting that I can't believe the crappy hitch they have installed.

jhplak325 03-02-2016 06:38 PM

I didn't think GM started using the Class V hitches until 2007.5. Your truck being a 2003, they were still Class III/IV.

Hey Pap 03-02-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badbowtie1 (Post 8164826)
Yea I understand I need to buy a different hitch but really it is still a class 5 and everything I have seen class 5 was always rated for 10k but whatever I will buy another hitch when the extra time and 300 allow for it. But right know I will just use my trailer and will not borrow there trailer. Since I need the excavator in two days and dont have time to order one online and have it in time. I will probably just end up buying the curt 16k with out bars and 17k with bars hitch. In the next week or two.

Post wasnt ment to start a **** match just venting that I can't believe the crappy hitch they have installed.

I replaced my factory crap with the Curt you are mentioning and really am happy with it. Easy install and way heavier duty... You'll be pleased.

badbowtie1 03-02-2016 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the one I have and says v-5 assume that is class 5

Yea everything I have read on reviews today on the curt has been positive so figured that is the way to go.