oem hitch sucks - Page 4 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #31 (permalink)
dnewton3
Diesel Prodigy

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
Comes complete with rusting to crap in 5 years as well as twisting and what ever else it does. Curt or even Reese Class 5 will get you all fixed up. Only problem is cutting of the 7 pin connector. You can get it welded to the new hitch if you like.
Not sure which Curt hitch you are referring to. I could not find one for my direct application; they only referenced the cab/chassis when I put in my truck info. Also, the two they did offer, while very beefy, were needing to have the truck frame drilled; pita and not necessary. So I excluded Curt for these reasons. I'm not saying it's a bad hitch; to the contrary it looks very robust. But why risk a mis-match and/or extra work when other brands offer more for less?

Also, like I said, B&W has a good product too. Simple bolt-on and very good ratings. But it was more than the DT I bought. Why pay more for the same features and capacity?

So I bought the Draw-Tite #41944.

BTW, Reese and Draw-Tite are the same company; offer the same stuff with different brand names but same parent company. (Think of GMC and Chevy trucks ... both same GM design with different cosmetic items).
Draw-Tite
Reese
Heck, even the websites are identical, except for some name branding. They both refer to the same catalog!

Here is the DT webpage for my application:
Draw-Tite - Class V Trailer Hitch
Here is the Reese webpage for my application:
http://www.reeseprod.com/products/tr...UeVGgCtjJ4lhFW
Note how the webpages start from different sites but end on the same product! Reese/DT are the same product. I got hitch #41944 from their "Ultra-Frame" series. Class V rated at 16k pounds; far more than I'd tow and more than the truck is "rated" for anyway.

As for the electrical connector, I emailed them and asked if it was OK to weld the mount to the hitch frame and they said it would void the lifetime warranty. Rather, I just cut the bracket off the OEM GM hitch, welded that to some angle iron, and then bolted that above the new hitch in the existing OEM bumper holes. Viola!

Fumoto drain valve / Power Steering Cooler added / Inverted Tranny Cooler / Autometer pyrometer / home-made diff cover / upgraded x-fer case skid plate

Member #2 of the "OIL is OIL" association
I used to use dino oil because I didn't know any better.
Then, I used synthetics because I thought they were "best".
Now, I use dino, because I know the truth!

Last edited by dnewton3; 03-01-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #32 (permalink)
c20elephant
Gone but not forgotten member

Longbeds and shortbeds have a different bolt patterns for the hitch, so be sure which one you purchase otherwise you might be drilling some holes....

Last edited by c20elephant; 03-01-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #33 (permalink)
phat rat
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Funny how only cc comes up on Curts website. I have their class V on my truck and if you go to Etrailer site they show them for your truck.
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Trailer Hitch Curt Class V 2 Inch Hitch | etrailer.com

1941 Ford cpe 454/700R4

1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd

34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front

Dually Club #912
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
badbowtie1
Diesel Fanatic

I did replace the hitch with the curt 15312 16k hitch and sure is nice heavy duty hitch.

SOLD 2003 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Dually, Edge cts, Lincoln diesel Specialties Injectors at 177K
5" magnaflow exhaust, ppe stage 4 trans kit
1955 Belair 4.8L with gt45 turbo with built 4l80e transmission
2010 Harley Super Glide Custom
Old 03-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
Razerface
Diesel Rookie

I put the curt 15703 commercial hitch on mine last week. Makes the stock hitch look like a toy. 18,000 lb with no wieght disb needed. Bolted on in 20 minutes.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #36 (permalink)
Razerface
Diesel Rookie

Forgot to say the stock hitch on mine was a class 5 and used the 2.5 square. A reducer sleeve came with the hitch.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:29 PM   #37 (permalink)
Art4med
Glow Plug

Any tips on drilling the frame for the Curt Class 5?

No, I don't have a lift! It'll be done in my driveway... if that's possible: upside down and thru-bolted.

Would a benchtop drillpress be useful if inverted? Carbide tipped bit suggested?
1996 Chevrolet K3500 6.5L turbodiesel, VIN"F", DS4, dually 4x4 cab/chassis on 31403 frame with Wheeled Coach TypeI Ambulance module; 4L80-E trans on 3.73:1 rear, widetrack; 53K mi; GVWR:12k, HD front suspension. Work and replaced: Dorman PMD @9ohms relocated to grille, oil cooler, oil coolant lines and fittings, both 105A alternators, fusibles, starter, CDV (washed), serpentine belt and idler, coolant flush, ignition relay, rear shoes and front discs, pintle seal, added grounds (cleaned all); R/R: WSS, VSS, TISS, TOSS, OPS, xover ECTS, dual thermo’s, TOYO tires; AmbuModule is a WIP (lots to go!)
Proven: “You can only afford this vehicle if its worked-on yourself”, a labor of love that is best-attended with the help gratefully-found only here at DP!

3500 Dually Club member #1100

Last edited by Art4med; 10-31-2018 at 10:31 PM. Reason: completeness
Old 11-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #38 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art4med View Post
Any tips on drilling the frame for the Curt Class 5?

No, I don't have a lift! It'll be done in my driveway... if that's possible: upside down and thru-bolted.

Would a benchtop drillpress be useful if inverted? Carbide tipped bit suggested?
I didn't have to drill any holes when I installed my Curt Commercial Class 5 Hitch. I used existing holes in the frame.
2007 Chevy Tahoe with Ranch Hand 240k Miles
2010 Chevy Suburban LTZ 75th Diamond Edition, 106k Miles
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
You haven’t lived ‘til you’ve almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.(MACV-SOG)
'A man will reveal his character through his actions, not his skin color.'
Romans 10:13 For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be Saved.
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
Old 11-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #39 (permalink)
redlinerobert
Diesel Starter

I'd like to replace my hitch with a USA made Class 5 that has a 3" square. Any recomendations?
3500 Dually Club Member #1150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in