oem hitch sucks - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
mannytranny
Diesel Ninja

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I don't know why they can't harden the metal around the pin. If you're a cheap bastard you might run some weld in there and grind it round using the pin as a guide. I did that. Wasn't too bad of a job if you are quick with the stick.

James Madison

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Soggybottomboy
Self Ignition

Made in USA.

SBB

4" exhaust

Duramax: "Where do you want to go today?"
Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
TheBac
Bac To The Future

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Many, many of us have gone thru the whole "OEM hitch isnt class 5" thing. I bent mine sledpulling one year. Meh.
Bent, broke, rusted, not heavy duty enough....whatever.....just replace it with a better one (I personally have a Curt) and be on your merry way.

"BBT" -- 2003 GMC 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 - 12.14 @ 111.15
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom
You're missed both at home and on the piano

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Reality is a matter of perspective.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
dnewton3
Diesel Prodigy

I am going to resurrect this thread rather than start a new one ... forgive me, but this old thread has merit still ...

My factory hitch is rusted badly. I looked into fixing it (media blasting and then powder-coating) but it's going to be $160 for this route, with me doing the "upgrades" of adding strength. I was going to have it blasted, then I'd take it home to weld up weak areas and add gussets, and then take it for p-paint. Upside to this that I know I'll do a good job in the work and the local powder-paint place is well respected. The quality should be good overall.

Options:

Curt (#15400)
only lists "cab and chassis" hitches for my rig currently on their site. I'm not sure this is the correct frame because my truck is not cab/chassis version. Additionally, their two hitches must be drilled to mount. Didn't really want that extra work. Plus this will hang down pretty far, as it looks from pix; a bit gawdy.

Draw-Tite/Reese/HiddenHitch, etc (#41944)
All owned by same company
They do offer a couple of true bolt on units, with 16k tow and 1.6k tw. Powder-coated at factory. Not bad. Can be had for $150 on ebay includes shipping. They don't have a provision for the electrical harness socket mount, as best I can tell. Fully welded. Decent brands that are well known.

B&W (#HDRH25189)
Also offers a bolt on rig; same 16k tow / 1.6k tw ratings. Powder-coated. The kit does include an accessory mount for the electrical socket for the harness. It bolts together, but does have the same rating. Well known brand.
Also on Ebay for $150 including shipping.

I do not tow super heavy; probably the most I'll pull would be 10k pounds with my trailer/Kubota load. My RV weighs less than that. The truck gross trailer limit is 12k pounds, so the DT and B&W are well over-rated for my application at 16k tow / 1.6 tw.

Also, the OEM GM hitch uses the bumper as an integral load carrying point, whereas the aftermarket units simply use the frame only. Can anyone thinks of a pro/con either way here? I don't know that it really matters overall.

Anyone use either the Reese/DT or B&W brands? Looking for input. How's the quality in the real world; do they measure up to their advertising?

Any other brands to consider?
Fumoto drain valve / Power Steering Cooler added / Inverted Tranny Cooler / Autometer pyrometer / home-made diff cover / upgraded x-fer case skid plate

Member #2 of the "OIL is OIL" association
I used to use dino oil because I didn't know any better.
Then, I used synthetics because I thought they were "best".
Now, I use dino, because I know the truth!

Last edited by dnewton3; 02-16-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rich1961
Freeze Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewton3 View Post
I am going to resurrect this thread rather than start a new one ... forgive me, but this old thread has merit still ...

My factory hitch is rusted badly. I looked into fixing it (media blasting and then powder-coating) but it's going to be $160 for this route, with me doing the "upgrades" of adding strength. I was going to have it blasted, then I'd take it home to weld up weak areas and add gussets, and then take it for p-paint. Upside to this that I know I'll do a good job in the work and the local powder-paint place is well respected. The quality should be good overall.

Options:

Curt (#15400)
only lists "cab and chassis" hitches for my rig currently on their site. I'm not sure this is the correct frame because my truck is not cab/chassis version. Additionally, their two hitches must be drilled to mount. Didn't really want that extra work. Plus this will hang down pretty far, as it looks from pix; a bit gawdy.

Draw-Tite/Reese/HiddenHitch, etc (#41944)
All owned by same company
They do offer a couple of true bolt on units, with 16k tow and 1.6k tw. Powder-coated at factory. Not bad. Can be had for $150 on ebay includes shipping. They don't have a provision for the electrical harness socket mount, as best I can tell. Fully welded. Decent brands that are well known.

B&W (#HDRH25189)
Also offers a bolt on rig; same 16k tow / 1.6k tw ratings. Powder-coated. The kit does include an accessory mount for the electrical socket for the harness. It bolts together, but does have the same rating. Well known brand.
Also on Ebay for $150 including shipping.

I do not tow super heavy; probably the most I'll pull would be 10k pounds with my trailer/Kubota load. My RV weighs less than that. The truck gross trailer limit is 12k pounds, so the DT and B&W are well over-rated for my application at 16k tow / 1.6 tw.

Also, the OEM GM hitch uses the bumper as an integral load carrying point, whereas the aftermarket units simply use the frame only. Can anyone thinks of a pro/con either way here? I don't know that it really matters overall.

Anyone use either the Reese/DT or B&W brands? Looking for input. How's the quality in the real world; do they measure up to their advertising?

Any other brands to consider?
Check out the TorkLift SuperHitch. Very heavy duty, but more expensive also. Used by many truck camper owners that have hitch extensions to clear the back of the large slide in campers.

Rich
Old 02-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
dnewton3
Diesel Prodigy

Torklift is $593 on ebay. Don't think so; that's ridiculous.

I took the OEM hitch to the sand-blaster today and we looked it over together. The general feeling we both have is that there is too much risk repairing this one. If he blasts it enough to get a thorough cleaning job, there are many areas that may be at risk of being too thin. What a total POS. However that is right in line with all the other crap on this truck that has rusted to a point of needing replacement (brake lines, tranny lines, fuel lines and cooler ...).

I am trying to decide between the B&M and the Draw-Tite.
Anyone got direct ownership or know someone who does?
Fumoto drain valve / Power Steering Cooler added / Inverted Tranny Cooler / Autometer pyrometer / home-made diff cover / upgraded x-fer case skid plate

Last edited by dnewton3; 02-16-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
64bawagon
Glow Plug

I replaced mine so long ago that I honestly don't recall what brand it is. Other than the increased weight rating the aftermarket hitch had a better finish on it. It was decidedly heavier gauge steel and did not use the bumper as a structural component. The side plates that bolt to the frame were thicker, wider and extended further forward than the stock hitch, this reduced flexing when the weight distributing bars were torqued down and actually gave a better ride with the trailer since the weight that transferred to the front wheels was more consistent because the hitch wasn't twisting as the load changed. I know I bought it on Etrailer and my recollection is that it wasn't much over $200
Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
dnewton3
Diesel Prodigy

I just bought one at ... WALMART!

I got the Draw-Tite #41944 for $133+tax
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Draw-Tite...-inch/35530111
I narrowed it down to the B&W and DrawTite. Both were available at W/M, but the D-T was cheaper. I watched some 'tube vidoes on the installations and they both seemed well made and far better than the OEM unit.

For reference, the B&W was $154+tax, so the DrawTite was about $24 cheaper, for a hitch with the same haul and tongue ratings! (16k and 1.6k) It's a good unit too, but why spend the extra money for exact same load ratings?

I just cannot beat that W/M price, and the shipping is free to the store! Store is right on my way home. Actually cheaper at W/M with free pick-up ($142 with tax) than Ebay with free shipping ($149).

I recently bought my AC/Delco replacement tranny lines from Walmart also; best price and free shipping to store. Got a replacement GM door speaker also. It's getting too darn easy to shop Wally-world online and pick up stuff with no shipping costs!

Last edited by dnewton3; 02-16-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Coolbreeze
Diesel Champ

Comes complete with rusting to crap in 5 years as well as twisting and what ever else it does. Curt or even Reese Class 5 will get you all fixed up. Only problem is cutting of the 7 pin connector. You can get it welded to the new hitch if you like.

'06 LBZ Silverado 2500HD, CC/SB, LT2 SOLD
Never left me walking!!!!
Old 02-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

the real problem is,look at how all these mounts bolt to the truck,on the bottom of the frame rails,,they need to be bolted top and bottom and thru the sides too

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in