oem hitch sucks - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
SouthCo
Diesel Rookie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Yeah the stock hitch is not great. I installed the Curt Class V with specs you mentioned about a month ago. Haven't had a chance to use it but it's very solid. Got it off Amazon for $224 to the door.

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
LB-7
Clutch

@davester at 3:41 A.M. you wrote "What's not common sense? The hitch is rated for 7500 and the trailer is over 9500. That's not a little bit, that's a ton over.

It probably was stupid/cheap for GM [or whoever installed the hitch] to put on that one, but that's what it is. If you want to tow bigger, get a better hitch."

at 3:24 just 17 minutes earlier you wrote "If the ball fits, it's safe to tow!"

Um you just totally contradicted yourself.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Sturgeon-Phish
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbowtie1 View Post
Here is a picture of the one I have and says v-5 assume that is class 5
Both my neighbor and I have the same type of hitch on our 3500 duallies. I've not exceeded the limit but I don't use it much either. I do not care for the factory hitch. If I did use it much or got a tow behind I would upgrade in a heartbeat. The curt is a great hitch. I've put a few on and I've always been impressed with the quality of the fit, build and finish. Ever brush off the rust and look at the welds on the factory hitch? Poor quality.

Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually LB7 NF2 Federal. Onyx Black, Dark Tint & De-badged, Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; Pace Edwards power tonneau. Isspro EGT & Boost. PPE Boost Valve. Mich. LTX A/T2 LT215/85R16. CTS Insight with backup camera, Air Box mod, Stock exhaust no muffler, Fumato drain valve. B&W turnover with Companion 5th wheel platform, Line-X. Hi/Low Beam light mod. 80 watt LED backup lights . Kennedy Single Pump & Fuel Pre-filter (Thanks John). Weather Tech mats. MA Pump Upgrade with new T case rear half. LDS injectors (Thanks Brent). High Idle mod (Thanks Eric) Hopkins Easylift. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel. Member #1078 3500 Dually Club

Last edited by Sturgeon-Phish; 03-03-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
badbowtie1
Diesel Fanatic

Yea I am just going to order the curt 15312 hitch and be done. I have had curt hitches on a couple trucks and have never had a complaint at all.

SOLD 2003 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Dually, Edge cts, Lincoln diesel Specialties Injectors at 177K
5" magnaflow exhaust, ppe stage 4 trans kit
1955 Belair 4.8L with gt45 turbo with built 4l80e transmission
2010 Harley Super Glide Custom
Old 03-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Yea I am just going to order the curt 15312 hitch and be done. I have had curt hitches on a couple trucks and have never had a complaint at all.
I recommend the Rigid Hitch Class V hitch. I have installed many of their hitches and they are top quality with a 18,000 pound towing capacity and a 2,700 pound tongue weight capacity. Obviously that is overkill, but it's nice to know you don't have to worry about it. Plus Rigid Hitch is made in USA, a lot of the Curt stuff has been coming from overseas lately.
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Old 03-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB-7 View Post
@davester at 3:41 A.M. you wrote "What's not common sense? The hitch is rated for 7500 and the trailer is over 9500. That's not a little bit, that's a ton over.

It probably was stupid/cheap for GM [or whoever installed the hitch] to put on that one, but that's what it is. If you want to tow bigger, get a better hitch."

at 3:24 just 17 minutes earlier you wrote "If the ball fits, it's safe to tow!"

Um you just totally contradicted yourself.
One of those statements, when read by anyone who has towed anything, should recognize it as being so ridiculous as to not need a sarcasm tag.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Old 03-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
LB-7
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
One of those statements, when read by anyone who has towed anything, should recognize it as being so ridiculous as to not need a sarcasm tag.
When you read things on the internet it's hard to tell someone's tone. When you say things to contradict yourself it's nice to set the record straight. Thanks for setting us all straight. I can't speak for anyone else but I know I'll sleep better tonight!
Old 03-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
jhplak325
Self Ignition

Quote:
Here is a picture of the one I have and says v-5 assume that is class 5

Yea everything I have read on reviews today on the curt has been positive so figured that is the way to go.

Nope, that is manufacture model number, Class III/IV hitch.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Soggybottomboy
Self Ignition

I had to replace my stock hitch. I tow my 9,500lbs camper at least once a month. I began to notice the hole where the pin goes was becoming oblong. It got VERY oblong and i was worried it was gonna split. I replaced it with a class 5 Curt. I can rub my finger against the trailer side of the hole and feel it starting to warp the metal again. I've only towed about 5 times with the new Curt.

SBB
4" exhaust

Duramax: "Where do you want to go today?"
Old 03-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggybottomboy View Post
I had to replace my stock hitch. I tow my 9,500lbs camper at least once a month. I began to notice the hole where the pin goes was becoming oblong. It got VERY oblong and i was worried it was gonna split. I replaced it with a class 5 Curt. I can rub my finger against the trailer side of the hole and feel it starting to warp the metal again. I've only towed about 5 times with the new Curt.

SBB
Is that new Curt hitch made in USA or overseas?

MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in