New Denali, SRW or DRW - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2016, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
stoch
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

New Denali, SRW or DRW

Hi all,
Working a deal on a new 2016 Denali (currently own a Ram 3500 SRW) and wanted a little advice. I will be using this truck as my DD and also as our camping rig. I pull a 12K Toyhauler TT and also have a polaris rzr 800 in the bed. I figure between hitch and bed weight I'm probably close to 2500 lbs. I'm working a deal on an SRW truck right now, and I think I'm well within capacities, but just want a double check. Which would you buy with this load?

All things being equal I'd just get the Dually and not have to worry about it... But, it seems like the SRW truck rides a little better, and after owning the RAM (which rides like a buckboard), ride is important to me. Also My garage is 106" wide, which will clear a dually, but if I'm not 100% on my game could lead to an expensive repair...

So, I'm planning SRW at this point- agree/disagree? Why?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

dually will feel more stable towing on the open road, particularly with crosswinds.

single will likely ride better as an unloaded DD.

you'd have to check with the dealer/salesman and/or GM directly to make sure it's within capacity [it should be, but it's a lot cheaper to ask and make sure before buying]

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2016, 03:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
tmm2good
Diesel Apprentice

Probably right on the edge with the SRW as far as payload. Any plans to upgrade RV ? I also have a heavy TT TH and the dually will not let the wind push me around like my SRW 3500 did. I plan on upgrading to a 5th wheel, that is why I went dually, but it sure is nicer pulling the existing trailer with the extra stability. Parking is a PITA, but I just park out in the lot and walk a little further. I think my dually unloaded rides just as nice as my 3500 SRW I traded in on this. As far as parking, you are at home. Take your time going into and out of the garage.
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016, 03:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
duramex
Diesel Boss

love my DRW not much problem parking
Old 02-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Welcome to the forum! I've moved your post to the proper area of the forum.

I have pulled with both SRW and DRW. You said your trailer is 12K, but is that dry weight? What is the GVWR of the trailer? Use that figure, as it will be much closer to the true weight once the unit is loaded. Then make your decision. I love my dually, but my SRW pulled our old 5th wheel from Maine to Alaska without a problem. I ended up going to the dually when we bought a new and heavier trailer. The old SRW pulled it, but we were above it's rating and I could tell.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown

Last edited by Tom S.; 02-16-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ramblinrodney
Diesel Veteran

Michigan Oil Burners Member

I wish I new more about this when we bought our truck. I'm atleast #1500 lbs. over on our pay load. Our 5th wheel pin weight is #2500 lbs.
You will have to know what your 12K Toyhauler TT tongue weight to determine between SRW or Dually. I would listen to people that have Dually's for there recommendations for most likely they had both.
Transgo Jr. PCV Reroute kit, Trans Line Repair Kit By Dirty Hooker Diesel,
Custom Perf/Tow Tune by Kennedy
2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L 10,500 dry weight
UAW Local 699 Retired Test Technician

Last edited by Ramblinrodney; 02-16-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

Loaded towing, you will notice the dually handle the road better. Unloaded it will still be smoother than the Ram was. Key factor is in your rear tire air pressures. I run them lower when empty and air them up when I get ready to tow.
Tom S has tons of experience towing with SRW and DRW trucks. For what I pull (mostly farm equipment , hay, horses and/or cattle) the dually feels better (seat of the pants and steering wheel.) My neighbor has a Ram 3500 SRW that will pull great, but when he rode with me to take some deer to the processor he was amazed at how smooth the dually was "empty."
2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Member #1063 3500 Dually Club

Last edited by TiredFarmer; 02-16-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
CntrlCalDmax
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredFarmer View Post
Key factor is in your rear tire air pressures. I run them lower when empty and air them up when I get ready to tow.

Rear tire pressure on a dually is the key to a nice ride. I air down to 35 rear and 65 front when I'm not going to tow for a while.

2007 Mobile Suites 36' TK3 Demco Glide Ride Pin, weighs 17,500# loaded.

2007 GMC LBZ/ALY 4X4 SLT CC 3500 DRW - TransferFlow Tank Tool Box Combo, EFILive DSP5, MBRP, Fred's 1.5 spacers, BD Exhaust Brake.
2004 GMC LLY/ALY 4X4 SLT CC SB, EFIlive, Mike L SCIV, TRADED
2001 Chevy LB7/ALY 4X4 EC SB - SOLD to neighbor
Old 02-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
stoch
Heat Sink

12k is gross in the TT. Figuring 10% for the tongue so 1200 lbs. don't see myself going back to a fiver anytime soon, I need to get two rzr's to the camp site and only way to do that is pull doubles or one in the bed. I'm not a fan of pulling doubles. Rzr in the bed is another 1100 lbs. then family of 5 probably another 600 pounds. So probably 2900 total against the payload.

Thanks for all the replies
Old 02-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
stoch
Heat Sink

So I've been thinking all day about this and I think I'm going to switch to the dually. If it rides the same I can manage the garage. Interestingly the dually is about $1000 cheaper too... For those that said air the tires down I think I'll give that a try. No funny wear at 35 lbs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in