Sizing an axle?? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
NWOhiochevyguy
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Sizing an axle??

OK so if you saw my other thread I am reworking an GooseNeck trailer and need to put new brake axles under it.

The existing trailer has three Mobile Home axles under it so not the typical, hub to hub measurement shown on all the MFG websites on how to measure a replacement axle. (hub face to hub face)

Current Spring perches are 80" on Center & I have an 86" wide trailer frame. Tires are outside the frame and under fenders.

See picture.

Will the list of items below fit? Trying to confirm before pulling the trigger on these axles.

Rims
Dexstar Steel Mini Mod Trailer Wheel - 16" x 6" Rim - 8 on 6-1/2 - Black Dexstar Tires and Wheels AM20761B

Axles
1 7000lb Brake Spring Axle 95HF 80SC 8 Lug Trailer Cargo | eBay

Tires
Tire Details - Discount Tire

DSP5 tuned by Houser; Fold-A-Cover G4; 265/75/16 Cooper AT3; Stock 16" AL Rims Powder Coated Black; Stock Bumpers- Raptor Lined; Black Tie; Pump Rub Upgrade (Merchant Auto); Built Allison w/ triple disc; UniGoose Goose Neck Hitch; LBZ MP & AFE Filter w/Custom Intake Tube; HSP Y & Pipes; PCV Re-route; 4-HI Headlight Mod; AirDog 4G 165 Lift Pump; Nictane fuel filter adapter, AirDog II-4G 165, New Style Tow Mirrors, Recon NNBS Smoked Cab Lights. Cat GONE Front Pipe, PPE Down Pipe - w/ stock exhaust, Muffler delete, Head Gaskets w/ ARP studs, RatedR 65mm turbo.

2002 Camaro SS Silver T-tops and lots of go fast parts💪🏻
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
phat rat
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I doubt they will as it would only give 4 1/2" per side from trailer frame to wheel mounting surface. But as close as you are it would certainly be worth the drive to find out for sure. Another dealer here in Mi is even closer to you. It's Tri State Surplus just north of Hudson on 127. I bought the axles for my 24 ft from him 10 years ago. He was on Ebay then and I imagine he still is.

1941 Ford cpe 454/700R4

1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd

34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front

Dually Club #912
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
NWOhiochevyguy
Diesel Head

Yeah Hudson is like 15 minutes from me, probably worth a drive over to see what he has.
DSP5 tuned by Houser; Fold-A-Cover G4; 265/75/16 Cooper AT3; Stock 16" AL Rims Powder Coated Black; Stock Bumpers- Raptor Lined; Black Tie; Pump Rub Upgrade (Merchant Auto); Built Allison w/ triple disc; UniGoose Goose Neck Hitch; LBZ MP & AFE Filter w/Custom Intake Tube; HSP Y & Pipes; PCV Re-route; 4-HI Headlight Mod; AirDog 4G 165 Lift Pump; Nictane fuel filter adapter, AirDog II-4G 165, New Style Tow Mirrors, Recon NNBS Smoked Cab Lights. Cat GONE Front Pipe, PPE Down Pipe - w/ stock exhaust, Muffler delete, Head Gaskets w/ ARP studs, RatedR 65mm turbo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Everything you need is in the front of the axle section of this catalog ( width calculating, sizing, mount locations) Redneck Trailer Supplies - Products & Replacements - Shipped Nationwide
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 02-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
NWOhiochevyguy
Diesel Head

OK, I guess my notes were wrong.

I just went out and measured the frame again and it is 83 3/4" wide.

Thus giving me 5.625" between frame and hub face.
This should be sufficient for my rim and tire set up.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
phat rat
Diesel Head

If I were you I would call and ask him the inside measurement. Look at this axle same specs for spring center and hub to hub width and the same brake measurements. But look at the inside width only 86" which would only give you 1 1/8" per side. Not enough clearance there for most wheel and tire combos, unless you find shallow backspaced rims. I'd like to ask a question. How much are you going to use this trailer and how far are you going to pull it at a time? Otherwise you might consider using it as is for a while then sell and buy another with the right wheels and axles. You might be money ahead. Because by the time you've bought 3 axles, 9 tires and wheels your most likely going to be over $2500 probably closer to $3000 just for those.

1941 Ford cpe 454/700R4

Dually Club #912
Old 02-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
NWOhiochevyguy
Diesel Head

The trailer will be set up as a tandem.

And with what I have sourced; including the trailer I will have less than $1750 invested.
With brand new axles, brakes, rims, etc.

How would you use an un-plated trailer on the road??
As the way it is, I can not title the trailer in MI, so upgrades are required.
Bare minimum is Brake axles & Safety chains

Old 02-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
btexpress
Diesel Apprentice

I would not buy anything from Etrailer. I got some rims from them, that they said had the right offset to fit inside my finders. I asked the ups driver to wait while I opened one box. Well they didn't fit so I sent all of them back as refused, and they charged my credit card for the shipping. Took a month to get it settled.
I changed one of my flatbed trailers that was mobile home axles like yours. I had a hard time finding wheels that had the right offset.
After getting the right rims, I changed mine over to Dexter 8 lug hubs, their backing plates and brakes, (ele). I used Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST Radial Tire - 235/85R16 126R, they are 14 ply.
I was tired of the blow outs and short life of the mobile home tires. It's been 2 years and all is good so far.
2011 GMC 3500 Denali HD, Banks Exhaust From DPF Back, Stock Tune, Pullrite 22K Super Rail 5th Wheel Hitch. Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX Navigation Radio, Tailgate camera view moved from mirror to Navigation display, Pace Edwards Electric Bedlocker Tonneau Cover, with a 37 gallon Transfer Flow tank with Trax2 display, under it's canister, Chrome wheel opening moldings, Mirror mod, with forward led marker and turn signals and puddle lights. Member 993 of the Dually Club.

45' Dutchman Voltage Toy Hauler with side and rear view cameras to Nav. display, Kodiac Hydraulic disc brakes, Mor Ryde suspension and pin box.

SOLD: 2003 Silverado 2500 HD, Banks Exhaust from turbo back. Late model mirrors with forward led marker and turn signals and puddle lights, Pullrite 22K Super Fifth hitch with Super Rails, Brake Smart controller, Air horn mod, HID's and LED's
Old 02-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
phat rat
Diesel Head

Unless the law has changed you don't need a title for a trailer. Get it weighed go to the license bureau and tell them it's an assembled trailer/home built and they will issue a registration slip and plate. That's what I have for one of my car trailers. Taking it to get weighed if you get stopped just tell them your on your way to get it weighed. Good luck on doing the shopping and keeping to that budget. I know this probably sounds like a downer but just remember that projects usually end up costing much more than anticipated.

1941 Ford cpe 454/700R4

Dually Club #912

Last edited by phat rat; 02-03-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
btexpress
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat rat View Post
Unless the law has changed you don't need a title for a trailer. Get it weighed go to the license bureau and tell them it's an assembled trailer/home built and they will issue a registration slip and plate. That's what I have for one of my car trailers. Taking it to get weighed if you get stopped just tell them your on your way to get it weighed. Good luck on doing the shopping and keeping to that budget. I know this probably sounds like a downer but just remember that projects usually end up costing much more than anticipated.
You might want to kook at this.
SOS - Trailers

2011 GMC 3500 Denali HD, Banks Exhaust From DPF Back, Stock Tune, Pullrite 22K Super Rail 5th Wheel Hitch. Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX Navigation Radio, Tailgate camera view moved from mirror to Navigation display, Pace Edwards Electric Bedlocker Tonneau Cover, with a 37 gallon Transfer Flow tank with Trax2 display, under it's canister, Chrome wheel opening moldings, Mirror mod, with forward led marker and turn signals and puddle lights. Member 993 of the Dually Club.

45' Dutchman Voltage Toy Hauler with side and rear view cameras to Nav. display, Kodiac Hydraulic disc brakes, Mor Ryde suspension and pin box.

SOLD: 2003 Silverado 2500 HD, Banks Exhaust from turbo back. Late model mirrors with forward led marker and turn signals and puddle lights, Pullrite 22K Super Fifth hitch with Super Rails, Brake Smart controller, Air horn mod, HID's and LED's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in