Solar battery charger/tender? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2016, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cadillac Bill
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Solar battery charger/tender?

Just got a 1997 Featherlite 36' Gooseneck car hauler. I an trying to decide on a charger/tender to keep a 12v deep cycle charged. The trailer has small 12v interior lights and, 12v landing gear (jacks the trailer when hooking up to tow vehicle). I have a portable Honda 2000i generator, but am looking for a more passive system to maintain the battery.

Since I am not close to 120v power when the trailer is stored, I think a rooftop solar cell would be a good idea. I am thinking that something that would keep the battery charged and maybe have enough oomph to charge a dead battery when needed. My 12v power requirements are low. The only thing is the hydraulic pump that lifts the trailer front, and some small lights inside the trailer that I don't normally use.

It seems there are solar cell setups that trickle charge a battery enough to keep it topped up, and chargers that actually can recharge a dead battery.

What solar/charger you recommend that would be a good unit that would work in my situation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2016, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
testdrive
Diesel Boss

The Suburban Club Member

Solar would be ideal for you. Use a 50 watt panel and a smart 3 or more stage controller. Does not have to be a MPPT. Most of them have displays to indicate status. Make sure the 12 volt lighting is LED type. Solar panels cam be found for less than $.75 per watt. The quality of most of the panels are about the same so be aware of the hype.

DieselPlace.com February 2014 Truck Of The Month

Proud owner of a 2003 Chevrolet Duramax Suburban K2500
powered by a 2007 LBZ Duramax Diesel
6SP Allison with Transgo JR mod
Duramax Suburban Brotherhood member #7
EFI DSP5 tuned thanks to thefermanator

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
donutslayer
Diesel Student

Try this: Designing your RV Solar Battery Charging System for Real World Conditions
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cadillac Bill
Heat Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutslayer View Post

Very appreciate your help and sharing the link information. I had already gotten a panel setup. I often use AMAZON and study customer reviews. This is the setup I have installed and it works great, and it seems to fit the use as shown in your link. I am very pleased to look at your link!

Notice it has over 650 reviews and is well liked. Mono-crystalline and uses a draw of about 19v. The Wanderer controller that will not overcook my battery and will power four solar panels will give 400w if I need.

I have interior lights (present halogen bulbs "old style" and upgrading to LED) in my 1997 trailer, electrical-hydraulic landing gear and a 4500lb Superwinch to pull a car into the trailer. All of these are powered with a deepcycle Interstate 100ah battery from Costco with about $100.

I also installed a power inverter that 1000w with a startup 2000w. All this draw is working perfectly for all my power needs. I am on the road to power a air compressor will pressure tires as needed from the power inverter.

that I am using higher power needs if I am at a show, I can use a Honda eu2000i as needed when using heavier power outputs, but so far it is all I need from my roof top solar panel.

The Honda 2000i is really awesome. Also uses clean 4 cycle gasoline and does not need the oil nasty mixture.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hammerz71
Gear Grinder

I have winches on both my gooseneck and dual axle bumper pull trailers and mounted solar panels on both to keep the deep cycles powering them charged. Works well for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in