Dinghy towing - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
mmsss
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Dinghy towing

Ok, I know this isn't diesel related but I hope someone here may be able to answer my question

Traded off our 2011 Tahoe for a 2016. I think I may have made a mistake. The owners manual says to disconnect the negative battery cable after getting it ready to tow. Is the only reason to disconnect the negative battery cable to make sure the steering stays unlocked or is there some other reason? The '11 didn't have the locking steering so all we had to do is put the transfer case in neutral and go. Didn't have to pull fuses or anything. Most states require auxiliary brakes and breakaway brakes on tows more than 3000 lbs. You can't have either if the battery is disconnected. If the only reason is to keep the steering unlocked, I can disable the lock on the column. Any one know for sure why the battery must be disconnected.

2001 Western Star 9468EX
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
mmsss
Diesel Starter

Hmmm, this is the same response I get from GM.

2001 Western Star 9468EX
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...eZg4klWlU4AQuw

You will damage the steering column with the battery connected (and not following the sequence). As for brakes, there are actuators for that. I see no reason that a disconnected battery will prevent braking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
mmsss
Diesel Starter

If the only reason to disconnect the battery is because of the steering lock, I had the dealer disable that. As for braking, in the case of a breakaway, the aux. braking system uses the towed vehicles 12v source to activate since it is no longer connected to the tow vehicle.
Someone said it would damage sensors and modules. But if you dolly tow the vehicle, the books doesn't say you have to disconnect the cable. Wouldn't the same sensors and modules be affected?
2001 Western Star 9468EX
Old 01-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Couldn't you simply disconnect the truck negative, connect the auxiliary braking to the same battery, and, keep the chassis battery "up" with the 7 pin charge wire?
Quote:
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Old 01-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
mmsss
Diesel Starter

I thought so but the both M&G and Invisibrake will not guarantee that their systems won't backfeed and make a negative connection. If I knew that the ONLY reason to disconnect the battery is to unlock the steering wheel, I have the problem solved. But if there are sensors on the front that can be damaged by towing with the cable connected, I still have problems. I don't know what sensors on the front would be powered with the ignition off, but who knows what the engineers have thought of. Obviously the back doesn't have any sensors or you would have to disconnect the cable when dolly towing.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

Ok, in the event of a breakaway, unless you have someone riding in the "toad", you're gonna have to worry about more than sensors, regardless of braking system.
2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Member #1063 3500 Dually Club
Old 01-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
mmsss
Diesel Starter

True. Mainly lawsuits if I don't have a working breakaway brake system. Hence the problem of disconnecting the power. Some have added a 12v motorcycle battery charged by the coaches 7 way plug. What I need to know is if there is anything that is going to be damaged (other than the steering lock) by keeping the cable connected. The steering lock has been disabled by having the locking ring turned down to where the locking pin doesn't have anything to engage with so the steering wheel cannot lock any longer.
2001 Western Star 9468EX
Old 01-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

First, I cannot answer why to disconnect the battery. But, disconnect the truck negative, and use the Tahoe battery to power the brake actuator. The way I listed above solves the dilemna.

For a "why" answer, go to gmupfitter.com and email in your question.
Quote:
Old 01-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
mmsss
Diesel Starter

Thanks for the link. I'll try that.

2001 Western Star 9468EX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread