Dinghy towing - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I maybe wrong on this, but don't the "15s+ have electric assisted power steering. And who knows what the engineers over at the GM shop have put in alone with it. And does the stabilitrac system work all the time with key on? Inquiring minds need to know!

'16 Chev 2500HD LTZ Z71, CC, Duramax, Allsion, 4wd, new Sept 2016, has factory fifth wheel prep so added a Curt hitch.

Traded off-'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05, sold at 179,400 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner reset to stock and retained, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, kept the"AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
mmsss
Diesel Starter

I tried the GM Upfitters but all they said was that their understanding as to why was to prevent the accidental engagement of the transfer case and to prevent "possible" damage to the electric steering. The accidental engagement of the transfer case idea doesn't work because the same problem would still exist when dolly towing yet you don't have to disconnect the cable when dolly towing. As to damaging the electric steering, except for the steering lock what could be damaged if the cable is connected as opposed to being disconnected. Surely the electric steering system doesn't pull power when the ignition circuit is off, does it? I talked to another GM dealer and they said they don't see any problem with leaving the cable connected since the steering lock is disabled. The system for the transfer case is the same as the 2011 Tahoe had and we didn't have to disconnect anything to tow it. There is a relay I can pull on the transfer case but they said they didn't see any real reason to do that. They said I could do the same thing to my 2014 Silverado ( which they sold to me)and it has the electric steering. I would like to know exactly what components of the electric steering could be damaged so I would know what will not be warranted but I guess I'm out of luck since no one seems to know for sure why the negative cable has to be disconnected.

2001 Western Star 9468EX

Last edited by mmsss; 01-27-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

If that is the case, does the electric steering assist go via a ckt breaker or relay? If so pulling it would do the same thing IMHO.
2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Member #1063 3500 Dually Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
mmsss
Diesel Starter

I haven't found a relay for it yet but I agree that it should work if I can find it. There's bound to be one somewhere. I just don't understand how having the battery hooked up could damage it any more than without the elec. The front wheels are going to turn either way.
2001 Western Star 9468EX
Old 01-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

I just read the Roadmaster installation instructions and I don't see any issues with it back feeding anything. The only point of back feeding is tail/turn signals and they are protected from doing so with diodes. But if you are still worried that it could back feed some how why not simply install a set of auxiliary lights for the towing system instead of using the vehicle tail lights. This would allow you to disconnect the battery from the vehicle with no chance of back feeding anything.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Old 01-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
mmsss
Diesel Starter

I have already installed auxillary lights. My installer contacted Roadmaster direct and he said they would not guarantee that the unit would not backfeed. Disconnecting the battery leaves the vehicle without a breakaway system, which is required in most states, unless you install a separate battery. If the dealer had known his product, I wouldn't have traded the '11 off. The dealer said that towing the new one would be just like the old one. WRONG!!!!
2001 Western Star 9468EX

Last edited by mmsss; 01-27-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Again, why can't you use the truck's battery, which will be disconnected from the truck, to power the breakaway system ?

First, connect breakaway to truck battery positive. Now, and here's the hard part, disconnect the truck negative, and, install the breakaway negative to the truck battery. It can't be much simpler. Take one negative off and put a different negative on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association

Last edited by Diaric; 01-27-2016 at 09:24 PM. Reason: OP request
Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

dorn
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread