Receiver and Hitch Locks (Keyed Alike) - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hrlyguy2
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

Me and my buddies dropped the boat off at the dock.Some one for got the beer .So we went to the store which was closer .3 of us got out to get alot of beer .But My son stayed in the truck.
Due to tinted windows you couldn't see him.
Some kids were trying to steal my 6 inch drop reciever. Well they got shocked when my 6'5 325# kid came out and caught one.
Why I always lock mine or take it out now .
Too funny when we came out with the beer my kid was sitting on him waiting for us Lmao.
Instead of calling the cops we let him go with a size 16 boot kick in the ***....

Last edited by Hrlyguy2; 12-09-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Well, I am glad I still live in an area where you don't have to. I generally have the one with 2" ball in, and the others in the tool box.

2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Member #1063 3500 Dually Club
Old 12-10-2015, 02:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
blackart
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
...I leave the hitch in all the time as it acts as a first line of defense against rear end hits...
Did that hit make your neck hurt, Tom? When the S10 I was in got its bumper bent down exactly like yours I thought I was fine, no injury. An hour later I couldn’t turn my head and suddenly had a splitting headache. At the time of the hit the S10 had 13 miles on the odometer…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesail View Post
I agree with tired farmer, I never leave mine in. Wacked my shin to many times, worried that the lock won't unlock when I need to change it for a different one because it is full of salt and grime, hell I even took the one out for the spare tire. I also wonder, does it do MORE damage when rear ended?
I would think my picture above would have answered your question. The vehicle that hit me was full size Chevrolet van, and after he rear ended my truck, someone rear ended him, so I got hit twice. It bent the ends of the frame down where the hitch was mounted, but the dealer straightened them back with no problems. As I posted, without that buffer, I would have ended up with a new bed and possible a new fiberglass top.

In 1987, I bought a new full size Blazer. One week later, at 6 am, a woman putting on her makeup rear ended me at a traffic light. The hitch took out her front bumper and radiator. The Blazer escaped without a scratch.

And that doesn't take into consideration the numerous times someone has just tapped the rear end, either at a light, drive through window or parking lot, that would have scarred up the bumper. I bumped my shins into mine one time. It was enough to make me remember it is there, and that was decades ago.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 12-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
TiredFarmer

When I back up to loading dock at the co-op for feed it helps prevent hitting the bumper. And even knowing it is there hasn't stopped me from killing my shins on more than one occasion.
2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Last edited by TiredFarmer; 12-10-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackart View Post
Did that hit make your neck hurt, Tom? When the S10 I was in got its bumper bent down exactly like yours I thought I was fine, no injury. An hour later I couldn’t turn my head and suddenly had a splitting headache. At the time of the hit the S10 had 13 miles on the odometer…
Luckily, I saw him coming and was as prepared as one can be when getting hit like that. When I was a kid, I was in the back seat of my parents car when it was rear ended by a bus. I was knocked out cold and undoubtedly had a concussion, though back then it was the "walk it off kid, you're fine" attitude. Probably explains why I'm like I am.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 12-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredFarmer View Post
Well, I am glad I still live in an area where you don't have to. I generally have the one with 2" ball in, and the others in the tool box.
My solid steel Hitch-Rite 3 ball + pintle cost about $200, if I remember correctly. The heaviest capacity of any available at the time. You bet I lock it. It's too damn heavy to be pulling all the time and serves as a great PRE-bumper. I've been hit (bumped) many times.

And before you ask, the bumper is 20,000 pound towing capacity 1/2 inch stainless that boxes the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151210_111542.jpg (60.2 KB, 8 views)

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 12-10-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
TiredFarmer

I can see that being too heavy to pull, that's why I have three different ones.
2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Old 12-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

My boss (at the time) had asked me to go get us a couple of "badass ball mounts that can tow anything". When he saw what I got he said, "Now how in the Hell am I gonna move that heavy sob". lol He hit his shins a few times and then it sat in his back seat floor most the time. But I left mine in loving the extra protection from cars hitting me and funny, after a few shin hits, I am now trained to give a wide berth when walking behind anyone's truck.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 12-10-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
PalmValleyGMC
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredFarmer View Post
And you're worried about someone taking the receiver? If if is that bad an area I'd be more worried about them stealing the trailer or truck!

I'm NOT sure I follow you. What's the point of locking any of it then? (receiver or coupler) If you lock the trailer coupler and not the receiver then the hitch could just be pulled out of the receiver. Yes the coupler would still be locked but the boat trailer would still be removed from the truck. Am I missing something here to your way of thinking?? Or was my title to the thread off? Maybe I should have called it "Receiver and Coupler Locks (Keyed Alike)

I'm not leaving some decorative receiver cover on the truck and want to lock it. I don't leave the receiver lock in place when not in use.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in