LMM: how low is too low for a drop down? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Desert DMAX
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

how low is too low for a drop down?

Does anyone have experience with the Andersen EZ Hitch HD #3298? https://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3298--8-ez-hd-14k-hitch-with-2-x-2516-combo-ball.aspx
I bought one of these but I’m concerned that the clearance between the ground and the bottom of the drop might be too little. I ordered this drop hitch for the flexibility to adapt to different trailers but the main trailer that we pull is approximately 18” level tongue from the ground. Currently I have been using a fixed 7-1/4” 5000lb drop down, and when comparing it to the #3298 side by side, the ball insert on the #3298 needs to be placed one hole up from the very bottom hole for the ball to be the equivalent height as my old drop hitch. However, comparing the #3298 to my old drop hitch, the #3298 hangs down toward the ground and additional 3” inches lower than my old drop down.

I realize now that if I had ordered the 4” drop, the ball would have been too high for the normal trailer that we pull.

Obviously, I guess if the #3298 doesn’t scrape in and out of driveways, all is well.

Just wondering how low is too low? Is this clearance something really to be concerned about?

Bilstein 5100 Shocks;
-#F4-BE5-D146-HO Front
- #F4-BE5-D147-HO Rear
N-fab Black Nerf Bars
AlphaTherm AT37GM
Banks(Speed)Brake w/Switch
Mobil 1 5w-40 TD Oil Used
B5 Fuel was used, then HPR Fuel Used, now back to #2 w/lubricity formula added

Last edited by Desert DMAX; 11-09-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
slckeys
Clutch

I don't have that hitch, but I do have a B&W triple ball hitch. I mainly use the 2 5/16 which sits just about 19 inches at the highest point for the car trailer I use. And that leaves the 2 inch ball sitting about 11 inches off the ground. I've only ever scrapped coming out of one driveway and that was a steep incline that included a small ditch at the bottom of the driveway that both my tires dropped into. Other than that, no issues. I hope that helps.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Desert DMAX
Diesel Apprentice

I appreciate your response. In my original post I gave an incorrect figure. 18" is incorrect for the tongue height, however, with my old drop hitch the trailer does sit level. The tongue height is lower but I don't have the trailer near me right now. It's an ATV trailer.

Anyway, if using the old drop, there would be approximately 11.5" clearance between the ground and the bottom of the drop. With the #3298, there would be approximately 7.5" clearance between the ground and the bottom of the drop.
Bilstein 5100 Shocks;
-#F4-BE5-D146-HO Front
- #F4-BE5-D147-HO Rear
N-fab Black Nerf Bars
AlphaTherm AT37GM
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

Seems to me an ATV trailer is going to be about the LOWEST trailer you will ever tow and if your old hitch served it well then your new hitch is TOO much of a drop. A 4" drop #3291 would put you right back where you where.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Old 11-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Desert DMAX
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesail View Post
Seems to me an ATV trailer is going to be about the LOWEST trailer you will ever tow and if your old hitch served it well then your new hitch is TOO much of a drop. A 4" drop #3291 would put you right back where you where.
Thx. I guess I'm going to have to go hook up to my trailer and measure! Which is what I should have done in the first place. It appeared to me that the 4" drop would have set the tongue too high, given that the #3298 set up with the adjustable balls pined one up from the bottom essentially puts the #3298 right at the same level as the old drop.
Bilstein 5100 Shocks;
-#F4-BE5-D146-HO Front
- #F4-BE5-D147-HO Rear
N-fab Black Nerf Bars
AlphaTherm AT37GM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in