Towing calculations - Page 5 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2015, 12:36 AM   #41 (permalink)
rdminter
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I wonder if there is a determination regarding axle weight that is separate from
tire weight? Who knows? The California dmv site I looked at also had the same info that you are posting here, but this excerpt that I quoted was right below that info.

Prodigy wireless brake controller. Iridium Sat phone, pcv reroute, boost guage.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #42 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Superstar

I have never checked all states rules because it was explained to me that the FHWA rules supersedes all. I have towed and been weighed in all the lower 48 states and DC with no problems however.

All this stuff proves is you can legally tow most any RV, doesn't mean EVERYONE should. Very large trailers take a distinct skill set and awareness to safely transport because of the length, height, and vision challenges. Wind and weather conditions should be noted and planned for, you can't just stop "anywhere". It is very easy to end up on a surface street with trees too low, corners too tight to negotiate, and no room to turn around. My own personal fifth wheel is only a 27' Wildcat so that I could maneuver it onto my Kentucky hunting property. Not trying to insult anyone but in my opinion you should "work your way up" to a large trailer.

265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Duramax.com tow tune w/turbo brake
PPE Dual Fueler (P0087 cure)
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges/Edge CTS
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Merchant remanufactured transfer case 748,000
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
Suncoast trans and 1700 stall converter @ 748,000
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????
Old 10-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #43 (permalink)
CAN_Yeager
Block Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdminter View Post
I wonder if there is a determination regarding axle weight that is separate from
tire weight? Who knows? The California dmv site I looked at also had the same info that you are posting here, but this excerpt that I quoted was right below that info.
I do find it more than a coincidence that my GAWR RR is set exactly to the pound of the Tire Rating. Obviously the mechanic suspension can take more weight but I doubt better tires will change the Rating.

Most of the government sites specifically say better tires and air bags/extra leaf springs don't change the Rating. With the Diesel engine it's the GVWR that is the easiest to exceed.

I am currently towing a 26 foot 5 th wheel with no pull outs weigh in 5500 lbs dry and a 550 lbs pound hitch weight. My truck hardly notices it.

I am thinking about purchasing this trailer.

My current trailer has been across Canada and USA. I don't just go to the local lake, I travel. I have driven Rogers Pass in the winter, Grants pass in the rain at night and the Coquihalla highway in the heat of summer. I worry about loading and braking not so much from a legal stand point but more of safety one. Not all planned vacations work out the way we intended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #44 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Superstar

You will have no problems towing that trailer, legally or otherwise.

With our era trucks the differences between one ton and 3/4 ton are few basically steel wheels only for one ton and more leaf springs. Rearend is geared the same with the same bearings. I have been told and read on here the frame is also the same but honestly never followed up on that. Again I have 521,000 miles doing this with the original engine(never had a valve cover off), original transmission (I did install a stock LML converter $400), original rearend. My truck is set up just like in my sig. These trucks will handle large amounts of weight safely and reliably.
265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Duramax.com tow tune w/turbo brake
PPE Dual Fueler (P0087 cure)
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges/Edge CTS
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Merchant remanufactured transfer case 748,000
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
Suncoast trans and 1700 stall converter @ 748,000
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????
Old 10-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

Concur that you will be fine towing the new trailer.
2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Member #1063 3500 Dually Club
Old 11-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #46 (permalink)
fvstringpicker
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN_Yeager View Post
I do find it more than a coincidence that my GAWR RR is set exactly to the pound of the Tire Rating.
If you check a GMC parts catalog, the axles on a 3/4 ton are the same axles on a 1 ton and even a 1 ton dually. The rear tires and wheels are the weak link in that chain. According to a retired GM engineer (my cousins FIL) if you keep the pin weight below 2500-2600 lbs in a 3/4 ton with E rated tires, a couple of passengers and stuff, you'll never have a problem with payload. As said time and time again, a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton have the same frame/chassis/brakes with the exception of the rear leaf springs.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #47 (permalink)
TiredFarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
If you check a GMC parts catalog, the axles on a 3/4 ton are the same axles on a 1 ton and even a 1 ton dually. The rear tires and wheels are the weak link in that chain. According to a retired GM engineer (my cousins FIL) if you keep the pin weight below 2500-2600 lbs in a 3/4 ton with E rated tires, a couple of passengers and stuff, you'll never have a problem with payload. As said time and time again, a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton have the same frame/chassis/brakes with the exception of the rear leaf springs.
I'm going to have to disagree on the statement above re axles being the same. I own a 2500HD and a 3500HD dually. The axle ratio is same for the duramax's at 3.73 but the axles are by no means the same.
2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Old 11-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #48 (permalink)
fvstringpicker
Self Ignition

A fellow at NAPA parts looked it up and showed me where the parts number is the same for a 2500, 3500, and 3500 dually. I understand its real possible for something to be out of kilter but thats where I got my information.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
TiredFarmer

Maybe so, but they don't look the same, possibly due to parallax error cuz of the dual wheels.
2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Old 11-02-2015, 11:17 PM   #50 (permalink)
fvstringpicker
Self Ignition

This is the information I wrote down a couple of weeks ago on the 2500 and 3500. Couldn't find anything specifically on a dually so you're most likely correct about the dually. Whatever the case, no doubt a 3500 dually is going to carry a hell of a lot more weight than a 2500 SWD.

Genuine GM AXLE SHAFT - 2015 GMC Sierra 3500 HD (20920666)
Genuine GM AXLE SHAFT - 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD (20920666)

Last edited by fvstringpicker; 11-02-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in