07 Classic Dually 5th Wheel - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
4230JohnDeere
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

07 Classic Dually 5th Wheel

I bought my truck and I can see where it has had a fifth wheel in it before. Im not sure much about 5th wheels Ive been around goosenecks a bunch but we've never had a 5th wheel camper. Im wanting to put a gooseneck in my truck and a fifth wheel and I've seen a few trucks that have fifth wheel rails with a slide in gooseneck instead of having a seperate ball in the bed. Im wondering if all the 5th wheel mounts are the same and what is the best system to have this way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
diesel geezer
Diesel Champ

I think you need to look at the B & W Companion Hitch. It can be used as a fifth-wheel or goose neck with a turnover ball. I've had one in my 07 Classic for about five yrs. now. Only one hole needs to be drilled in the bed, two more if you use the safety chains for the goose neck. The entire fiver part removes by simply loosening two U-bolts, leaving the bed flat with nothing sticking up. It runs a bit higher than coventional hitches but it's worth it. Pretty easy to install too. I did it myself with a little help from my stepson. I was close to 70 at the time. It uses existing holes in the frame. I currently tow a 40' Montana but I have had a 30' Durango in the past. I believe it's good for as much weight as our trucks are rated for.

Proud member #565 of the Dually Club!

Amsoil bypass filter,
Racor sec. fuel filter w/primer pump(REMOVED) Aux. coolant filter, Battery minder, B&W Companion hitch
Allison deep pan ,Firestone air bags(removed)
Hellwig rear anti-sway bar ,Fumoto valve
Monroe Reflex front/ rear shocks ,Transynd
New IS shaft, Upgraded rear cab mounts
Timbrens rear bump stops
New 2012 Montana 3402 5th-wheel
Merchants billet water sensor remover & bleeder screw
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
4230JohnDeere
Low Boost

I need something on 5th wheel rails because my truck has already been drilled for those and Id really rather not drill yet another hole in by truck bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

There are lots of gooseneck adapters that fit 5th wheel rails..here's but one example:

I use a simpler one like this for my horse trailer:

They work well if you've already got 5th wheel rails, or in your case, plan to reinstall them. And of course that gives you the flexibility to have a 5th wheel as well if you require or want such.
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Helping a friend: Duckies Longarm Quilting Oshawa / Durham Region!
Old 09-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
dayle1
Glow Plug

I agree with PrivatePilot, you need one of the gooseneck adapters that fit standard fifth wheel rails. The spacing between the fifth wheel rails is pretty standard these days. So rails from one brand will work with a fifth wheel hitch of another brand and a gooseneck adapter from another brand. I don't need a gooseneck adapter, but I'm using Hidden Hitch rails, Reese fixed legs and a Drawtite hitch. My point, you should be able to buy individual items on ebay or craigslist and they will still work together.

Also, the gooseneck adapter uses different slots than the fifth wheel hitch, so in most cases, both pieces will fit on the rails at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in