ITBC Quit Working Suddenly. Troubleshooting HELP? - Page 4 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

No direct connection.

To the OP, with no test headlamp illumination when using the pedal, but seeing output blocks on the cluster, is indicative of the module either needing reflashed or replaced. At this, I believe that you've diagnosed as far as you can without a scanner attached, verifying module communication. Do you have a friendly dealer nearby? You've tested all of the hardware. It's either a software or module issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #32 (permalink)
padredw
Freeze Plug

Well, I've at least learned a lot in the process and am grateful to all who responded--especially to heymccall who kept trying.

I'll just ask one final question. Do the tests we have been able to do poin to the truck rather than the trailer as the most likely source of the problem?

The relevance of that question is this: my truck dealer is in one town and my RV dealer is in another town. Neither is too far away, but it looks like I should take the truck in to the dealer rather than taking the RV. Is my reasoning correct?

Last edited by padredw; 09-29-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

I don't have a truck here right now to verify your results. I'm certain the lamp will illuminate on manual apply, but not sure if it will illuminate with just the pedal. Will have to locate a truck to verify.
Yes. I believe there is a problem in your truck whereupon the TBCM is not receiving or processing a request to increase trailer brake output.
Quote:
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy

Last edited by heymccall; 09-29-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

And, if your dealer is skeptical about your headlamp tester, have them try it on any itbc truck, except '14 1/2 tons, and any '15s. Not sure what changed, but, it did. Odds are that your dealer may request the trailer, too, but...it's a truck side issue.
Quote:
Old 09-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #35 (permalink)
padredw
Freeze Plug

heymccall, I decided on at least one more test with the headlamp so I have an update and a correction:

The lamp does illuminate when the brake pedal is pressed VERY HARD. In the earlier tests we did not press the brake pedal hard enough.

Now the result is this: The light illuminates AND the output meter at the controller is properly displayed under these conditions: any application of the manual controller, and a hard, total pressure on the brake pedal.

I know I seem like a pest, but I'm trying to do all I possibly can before taking the truck or the trailer in for service.

Right now, with the above results, I'm thinking it might be the brake system on the trailer. I had the brakes serviced right before our 2500 mile trip. The report was a broken wire to one of the wheels. We left immediately on the trip and had the brake problem on the last 150 miles just before we got home.

Last edited by padredw; 09-30-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:16 AM   #36 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Thinking about the pedal vs output. With headlamp based tester attached, raise trailer gain all the way up to max, then watch lamp vs output blocks. I think you'll find it takes less pressure to illuminate. Which, in turn, verifies that it is not a truck or itbc problem, but, rather, a trailer wiring issue.
Quote:
Old 10-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #37 (permalink)
padredw
Freeze Plug

Yes, That's what I found. I have an appointment next Wednesday with the RV dealer to check out the trailer brakes.

I will report back after that to share with the community.

Thanks, mccall, for all the help.

And if anyone in East Texas need a good ITBC tester, I'll be glad to share.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
padredw
Freeze Plug

OK, I promised. Now I am here with embarrassment and almost unbelief.

The report: a bad fuse on the trailer end. The fuses were the first thing I checked both on the truck and on the trailer. In fact, I took this fuse out, checked it, and reseated it. Still, that is the report and the proof is in the fact that replacing it was the fix for my trailer brakes. When I talked with the mechanic, he told me that the fuse "looked ok, but was not good."

So, I have learned another lesson on top of all that I have learned here about the ITBC. That lesson: actually try the fuse to the brake wires even if it looks good.

The good news is that my trouble-shooting on the truck system proved to be correct. That was the first thing they ruled out at the RV shop.

Until I am in trouble again, I will be out of here unless I can be of help to someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in