ITBC Quit Working Suddenly. Troubleshooting HELP? - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
padredw
Freeze Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Yes, Rod, I did see that bulletin. I have copied it and will call it to the attention of my local Chrevolet dealer if and when I take it in. (Looking more like WHEN all the time!)

heymccall, would there be any significance at all that there is NO indication of electrical current when the brakes are applied--using a multimeter, of course. The other feamale posts for the lights all show appropriate current when activated, but there is zero display when the brakes are applied.

And, yes, you are correct in that the dashes do not change--have not changed since that first sign of trouble.

To give just a bit more detail: we were on a trip--almost home, everything working normally for almost 3000 miles. I stopped for fuel in Arkadelphia, AR and as we pulled onto the freeway ramp, the "CHECK TRAILER WIRING" came on and I tested the trailer brakes by applyng truck brakes and by manually engaging the controller. I had no trailer brakes. There was no effect upon the operation of the truck or of the brakes on the truck. I had no trouble, just driving carefully and allowing for the truck brakes to be used.

And that is where I am right now.

I just want to be clear about this: the fact that the multimeter shows NO electrical impulse when connected between the brake position on the plug (both inbed and bumper level) and the ground, when brakes are applied or controller manually engaged is relevant or not??? Does it, or does it not indicate that the problem is with the truck and not with the trailer?

I appreciate everyone who is trying to help. -- and I'm willing to listen and to learn.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

The itbc sends NO voltage until the circuit is complete. Use a car headlight and piggyback your voltmeter. Or, just watch the headlight go bright and dim. A testlight probe doesn't present enough resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 09-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
padredw
Freeze Plug

OK, mccall, I'll try to scrounge up some parts and give that headlight process a try. If I succeed, I'll report back here and see where to go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
padredw
Freeze Plug

OK, here is the best I have been able to do so far. Let me know if this has any significance.

I used a trailer lamp from a utility trailer.Alligator clip to ground and to brake position on the seven way plug. No response of any kind. Tested with alligator clip to ground and to running lights--full illumination, also to turn signal post--proper intermittent flashing.

Does this indicate anything? Do I need different testing components? Still trying.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

A low beam (or high beam) headlamp must be used, or two brake magnets. The system must see a circuit with a resistance of 2.5-1.2 ohms in order to recognize the brake circuit as complete.

You say you have a multimeter. Measure between the blue and white on your trailer. Is it between 2.5 & 1.2 ohm?

Does the truck 3td brake light work?

Again, based on all you've posted, the pressure switch in the master cylinder is suspect, as most other issues won't even give you dashed lines for trailer output.
Quote:
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Old 09-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
padredw
Freeze Plug

Yes, I was afraid of that. I got a reading of 1.4 ohms between the ground and brake posts on the trailer umbilical, but then the multimeter failed. Looks like a fuse, and of course I don't have one.

As you noted, the dashes are "static" and there is no longer any error message. The gain setting can still be set and that readout appears, but no "output" bars, just the dashes.

Looks more like I will have to take in to the dealer. I really believe the problem is in the truck control system, but am not absolutely sure of that.

If I could find a sealed beam headlamp, what would that test tell me?

And thanks for all the help.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

The headlamp was to rule out the integrity of the trailer wiring.
Again, I believe the pressure switch is bad. Unthread the old one and thread in a new one. Then, bleed the front calipers.
Quote:
Old 09-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
padredw
Freeze Plug

Thank, I'll give that a try. Will report back in a few days.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

If there isn't proper resistance in the circuit, will the DIC display the dashed lines? Just checked my truck, no trailer connected, no dashed lines on DIC when brakes applied. I think this argues for making the headlight tester.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 09-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
padredw
Freeze Plug

Just now have a chance to respond to last post.

The display on my DIC is what I would call "static." The gain setting and the dashed lines are displayed either by pressing the manual controller or by browing through the information button on the steering wheel. It will remain displayed until another button choice is made. The display seems to have nothing to do with the brake pedal being depressed.

I am not very good at the terminology, so please allow for that.

I am not sure I have the experience required to change out the pressure switch and to bleed the lines as required. So maybe I should turn to the local dealer. Even if I do so, this has been very valuable for me to know more about the ITBC and the problems I and others seem to be having.

Thanks for all the help, and I am still listening and willing to learn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in