Question: Trailer shakes the truck badly - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By diesail

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
TFLundyB275
Eagle Eyes

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Trailer shakes the truck badly

Heres my question, why is my trailer shaking my truck violently?

Setup: truck in my signature, trailer is Eager Beaver AP10 5 ton dual axle single wheel. Pintle and eye hookup. Tires are proper inflation, all matching and good condition.

Situation: Pulls fine until 20mph when the shakes starts. Gets gradually worse until its very bad, around 45 it goes away. It reoccurs almost every time.

Looking in my side mirrors you can see the back part of the truck move up and down drastically. This goes in hand with what it feels like, up and down shaking.

It's a pain to tow like this.

It occurs with a load, or empty. Loaded was 3,000lbs with it happening.

Last trip was light load, had a loader and backhoe buckets on it. Still happened. This was a longer distance and figured if it was the tires from sitting would work its way out, no change.

Current trailer brake controller is crap, so thats coming out and getting a Kelsey-Hayes hydraulic controller in there.

Seems to be some end play at the rims, but I've double checked and there is only one hole for the cotter pin for adjustment. I cant go one rotation up without overtightening.

Also noticed the tires are not balanced. Are trailer tires usually balanced?

When I tow the other trailer, a 6 ton, there is no issues.

I'm trying to find another truck to tow the trailer for comparison.

Any ideas what is causing this horrendous shaking with this trailer?

Superwinch locking hubs, front & rear Eaton Positraction, BFG Commercial Traction 235/85/R16E tires,
dual 2.5" glasspack exhaust, Z75 quad front shocks, Class IV 12000 lbs GTWR trailer receiver, headlight relays, CB and Ham Radio.
----------
2019 Chevy 1.6L TurboDiesel Equinox LT AWD
----------
Allis-Chalmers CA, Case 530CK Loader/Backhoe with 188D 3.1L N/A Diesel engine, Eager Beaver 5 ton dual axle trailer, MEP002a Onan Diesel generator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
wyoscout
Diesel Starter

Armed Forces Club Member

I would get the tires balanced. I presume these are full size tires and not 10" ones.

Stainless Nerf Bars
Spray in bedliner
Aux LED B/U lights

Retired Navy Senior Chief

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

Sounds like you have a bad tire to me. Tire separation of the belts will cause what you describe.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
TFLundyB275
Eagle Eyes

thanks for the thoughts. I figured tires but they are newer and I dont see anything wrong with them.

Tires are Goodyear 8-14.5LT (F), which matches OEM specifications.

I'll have to jack it up and spin the tires again. But I havent seen anything visually wrong with the tires.

I've driven in a car before with broken belts in one tire. That shook the car but at all speeds noticeable.

the other trailer has tires of different sizes and makes and are in worse shape (its not my trailer...) anyways it doesnt have an issue.
Superwinch locking hubs, front & rear Eaton Positraction, BFG Commercial Traction 235/85/R16E tires,
dual 2.5" glasspack exhaust, Z75 quad front shocks, Class IV 12000 lbs GTWR trailer receiver, headlight relays, CB and Ham Radio.
----------
2019 Chevy 1.6L TurboDiesel Equinox LT AWD
----------
Allis-Chalmers CA, Case 530CK Loader/Backhoe with 188D 3.1L N/A Diesel engine, Eager Beaver 5 ton dual axle trailer, MEP002a Onan Diesel generator
Old 08-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLundyB275 View Post
the other trailer has tires of different sizes and makes and are in worse shape..... anyways it doesnt have an issue.
That pretty much tells me it's the tires or wheel bearings.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 04-19-2016, 12:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
TFLundyB275
Eagle Eyes

Slow to get back to updating on here, but thanks to all who helped. I pulled it apart to find 3 of the 4 brake levers seized. 2 seized on brake and the other seized open. When I bought it was told, and had receipts of new brakes installed. I could tell they were, however, whoever did it didn't grease the connecting points so they seized. As per Dexter instructions I anti-seized them, pulls good now. Need to adjust them a bit more to dial them in but no more shaking or jerking the truck. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in