ITBC question - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
15Chevy2500
Diesel Newbie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

ITBC question

Ok, after scanning thru a lot of the threads dealing with the ITBC I am convinced that my problem lies within the junction box of my 5th wheel camper. BUT, I do have this question........Does removing the tailgate, which requires unplugging the backup camera, do anything at all to the trucks ITBC circuit? I had a little snafu with the 5th wheel hitch lock and had to remove the tailgate. After removing the tailgate my '15 2500HD, D/A ITBC no longer tells me a trailer is connected. Since there was a little damage to the junction box on the trailer I'm convinced the problem is there but just thought I would ask about the back up camera.

Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

taking off the tailgate has nothing to do with the itbc,,these things don't like to be connected to the trailer if the eng is running and the ign is on

Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Please tell us the EXACT message displayed on the DIC that denotes you have a problem..

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
15Chevy2500
Diesel Newbie

Hey Ron, I saw "service brake system" on the DIC just once. After that no messages have shown up, even when my trailer is connected. And if I switch the DIC over to the ITBC meter when the trailer is hooked up it acts as if there is no trailer hooked up. If I manually slide the controller lever there is no reaction on the ITBC meter on the DIC. Again, I had an accident with the trailer and there ended up some damage to the junction box where the 7 pin trailer cord connects to the trailer. I'm almost sure that is why i'm having trouble but just wanted to be sure the backup camera being unplugged didn't do something to the controller circuit. Sounds strange but you never know.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

are you pluging in the trailer with the truck turned off?
Old 08-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

See PM's

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 08-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
15Chevy2500
Diesel Newbie

DMax3500, I have done both. I've plugged it in with the truck running and with the truck turned off.

Thanks for info Ron, that will be good reading material.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
WVDMAX
Diesel Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Chevy2500 View Post
Ok, after scanning thru a lot of the threads dealing with the ITBC I am convinced that my problem lies within the junction box of my 5th wheel camper. BUT, I do have this question........Does removing the tailgate, which requires unplugging the backup camera, do anything at all to the trucks ITBC circuit? I had a little snafu with the 5th wheel hitch lock and had to remove the tailgate. After removing the tailgate my '15 2500HD, D/A ITBC no longer tells me a trailer is connected. Since there was a little damage to the junction box on the trailer I'm convinced the problem is there but just thought I would ask about the back up camera.

Thanks!!!
It sounds like you have a blown fuse. It should be a 30amp fuse located at the front of the vehicle on the left panel. I had the exact same problem when I received my truck. Brand new. The factory/dealer forgot to put the fuse in. It is a special fuse, to my understanding only the dealer can get them for now.
Dual Bed Liner
Old 08-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Blown fuse results in "service trailer brake" message" all the time.
To the OP, using a ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the blue and white wires on the trailer plug (5 & 7 o'clock). Report back with the number. Ideal is around 1.5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
15Chevy2500
Diesel Newbie

HeyMcCall, Did just as you suggested over the weekend and if I remember correctly I was at 2.0. We did make some headway, I connected to a different trailer and everything on my truck worked as it should which verifies to me that it is the trailer. Also discovered that when I put the truck in reverse it is locking up the trailer brakes. This tells me the backup lights (center prong) is not wired correctly thru the cord. After I dropped the camper on the bed of the truck wrecking the connection box the center prong wire (yellow) on my cord was unhooked. Obviously I didn't get it connected to the right spot, removing that wire stopped the brakes from coming on when I put the truck in reverse. I didn't have time to trace that down but will get to it this week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in