2015 3500HD Aftermarket Trailer brake Controller - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ranch55
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2015 3500HD Aftermarket Trailer brake Controller

On a 2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD with trailer towing package, I am assuming that I can install an aftermarket trailer brake controller, plug the harness directly into the brake controller receptacle under left side of instrument panel, and all is good to go. I have not found , or seen, any information that says any other connections, or fuses, are necessary. Curt Manufacturing says it is plugin and go with their controller. eTrailer says it is plugin and go with their controller. This is the information I am finding.

Currently Own Both of These .....
....2005 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax 4x4, Long Bed, Crew Cab .... Ranch Hand Legend Full Front Bumper Replacement, Schefenacker TTT Mirrors from Kennedy Diesel, SilverStar Headlamps, Waag Wheel to Wheel Step Bars, Mike L. 2006 Trans. Cooler , TD-EOC w/air dam, AFE Bladerunner Turbo Mouthpiece.......
....2015 GMC 3500HD SLT Duramax 4x4, Long Bed, Crew Cab.....Ranch Hand Legend Full Front Bumper Replacement....

Chevrolet 1974 Blazer 4x4, 350ci, AC still works with R134A ....This is my ranch work truck.....
....2010 GL1800 IVA Honda Gold Wing.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Champ

I should have read the previous post first.

'16 Chev 2500HD LTZ Z71, CC, Duramax, Allsion, 4wd, new Sept 2016, has factory fifth wheel prep so added a Curt hitch.

Traded off-'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05, sold at 179,400 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner reset to stock and retained, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, kept the"AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color

Last edited by turnpike; 07-26-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Yes. Plug n play. Here's a link to my 2015s with a Hopkins controller.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/7109370-post5.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association

Last edited by heymccall; 07-26-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ranch55
Glow Plug

I should also add that my 2015 3500 HD DOES have the factory intergrated brake controller. But I want to use an aftermarket brake controller.

....2005 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax 4x4, Long Bed, Crew Cab .... Ranch Hand Legend Full Front Bumper Replacement, Schefenacker TTT Mirrors from Kennedy Diesel, SilverStar Headlamps, Waag Wheel to Wheel Step Bars, Mike L. 2006 Trans. Cooler , TD-EOC w/air dam, AFE Bladerunner Turbo Mouthpiece.......
....2015 GMC 3500HD SLT Duramax 4x4, Long Bed, Crew Cab.....Ranch Hand Legend Full Front Bumper Replacement....

Chevrolet 1974 Blazer 4x4, 350ci, AC still works with R134A ....This is my ranch work truck.....
Old 07-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
rdminter
Diesel Nut

If you are worried about wiring, you can always go with the prodigy wireless brake
controller. I have had mine for 2 years and it has worked flawlessly.
Prodigy wireless brake controller. Iridium Sat phone, pcv reroute, boost guage.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ranch55
Glow Plug

On a 2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD with trailer towing package, I am assuming that I can install an aftermarket trailer brake controller, plug the harness directly into the brake controller receptacle under left side of instrument panel, and all is good to go. I have not found , or seen, any information that says any other connections, or fuses, are necessary. Curt Manufacturing says it is plugin and go with their controller. eTrailer says it is plugin and go with their controller. This is the information I am finding.
This truck DOES have the factory intergrated brake controller. But, I want to use a Prodigy 2, as that is what I have on hand already.
Is it just plug in and use without any other considerations ?????

Old 07-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch55 View Post
This truck DOES have the factory intergrated brake controller. But, I want to use a Prodigy 2, as that is what I have on hand already.
OK, I'll ask the obvious question, if it's got the integrated control, why add one? Mine worked flawlessly pulling our 15K 5th wheel with hydraulic disk brakes.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 07-29-2015, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ranch55
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch55 View Post
Any help from anyone on my questions above ???

Old 07-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Okay. I'll bite. If you have the JL1, why do you need an aftermarket controller?

Directions here
Installation Of An Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller In Lieu Of Factory Trailer Brake Controller – 2014-2015 Chevrolet Silverado GMC SierraOEMDTC - OEMDTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 07-29-2015, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Champ

I bite....
With the integrated controller, you have full proportional control based on the pressure of the brake fluid in the lines. Better than any electronic controller. The harder you step on the brake pedal, the harder the trailer brakes will come on, or release the brakes a bit and the trailer brakes will release in proportion. There is also a gain control so you can add or decrease the trailer braking to stay in balance with the truck brakes. All this is handed to you with a JL1 optioned truck.

I have only used a few integrated controls, and I have found that they are better than any electronic unit. They work like my "BrakeSmart" unit which also reads brake line fluid pressure.

It doesn't get any better.

So, why bother adding anything?

'16 Chev 2500HD LTZ Z71, CC, Duramax, Allsion, 4wd, new Sept 2016, has factory fifth wheel prep so added a Curt hitch.

Traded off-'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05, sold at 179,400 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner reset to stock and retained, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, kept the"AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in