5th wheel tandem with boat questions - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
zhensley
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

5th wheel tandem with boat questions

Hello,

I've been reading posts on tandem pulling and did this a little backwards. Posting here after I have purchased everything. I ended up getting a short, 29'6", fifth wheel and only weighs about 8,000 lbs dry. My boat is 2,900 lbs and with trailer I am assuming around 3,900. I have 07 LBZ, 2500HD, short box extended cab. My GVWR is 22,000 lbs and the max towing is 15400. both trailers are tandem axle, first with electric brakes, and the second with surge brakes. Have new B&W companion sliding 5th wheel hitch, also have pacbrake air bags. With everything I should be right at or under the 70' length limit in Colorado.

I thought everything was fine but when I talked with a hitch company they said otherwise so I thought that I would reach out to the group here. The company said they would not recommend towing more than 2,000 lbs on the second trailer, and that they may consider 3,000 lbs with a dually. All they knew was the weight of the second trailer and class of my truck. He mentioned that the full ton Chevy trucks have big sway bars and are better positioned to handle any lateral movement. I thought the only difference between a full ton and 3/4 ton truck was the leaf springs. I did some research and the only capacity difference I see between 3/4, 1 ton, and dually trucks is the payload, but not the towing capacity. The GVWR for my 3/4 is actually more than a dually in some cases??

I am only traveling approximately 300 miles from home to lake and have no reason to not drive slowly, under 60 mph. I am taking my family and just want to make sure I am being responsible and safe, which I thought I was before I talked with the towing company. Thanks for any thoughts and or guidance!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Typically trailer tires, including those on your boat trailer are only rated for 60 or 65 mph, so check that out before getting too carried away. Also, some states do not allow triple towing, so check your state law on that also. I don't know where they came up with the term 'triple towing' when it involves only two towed vehicles, but that's what it's called. Last, make sure the 5th wheel is rated to pull the boat trailer. Some 5th wheel manufactures have weight limits on towed vehicles, and some will even void your warranty if you tow anything heavier than a bicycle carrier.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
rdminter
Diesel Nut

could be an issue with braking capacity and stability of your truck. 2 trailers will create
a much more unstable braking situation under emergency braking.
Prodigy wireless brake controller. Iridium Sat phone, pcv reroute, boost guage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Superstar

Emergency braking and sway would be my concerns. Don't know any way to find out other than try it carefully.
265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Duramax.com tow tune w/turbo brake
PPE Dual Fueler (P0087 cure)
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges/Edge CTS
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Merchant remanufactured transfer case 748,000
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
Suncoast trans and 1700 stall converter @ 748,000
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????
Old 07-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
garrett41
Rather Be Fishin'

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhensley View Post
... I did some research and the only capacity difference I see between 3/4, 1 ton, and dually trucks is the payload, but not the towing capacity. The GVWR for my 3/4 is actually more than a dually in some cases?? ...
There is also a difference in towing capacity.

The GVWR of the 2500's is 9,200lbs, the 3500 SRW's 9,900lbs, and the 3500 DRW's 11,400lbs.

The GCWR (truck + trailer) is 22,000lbs for the 2500 and 3500 SRW's and 23,500lbs for the 3500 DRW's.

The allowed payload and trailering capacity is based off those numbers minus the weight of the truck in each configuration. For example, a 4x4 3500 DRW with a long bed weighs a bit more than a 2500 ext cab short bed 2wd. That's why you sometimes see a dually configuration with less capability than a non dually, etc. In general, given equal configurations (i.e. regular cab vs regular cab, crew vs crew) the dually will be able to haul and/or tow a bit more, but it all comes down to the math.

The simple fact is, the DRW will ALWAYS be more stable for towing a given load, but may not always have the greatest towing capacity by the numbers. It will, however, always have the highest total gross weight rating.

Check out pages 10/11 of this PDF for some info on your truck's capacity.

http://www.gmcanada.com/media/vehicl...hure_02_EN.pdf

2013 Palomino Puma Unleashed 356QLB Toy Hauler
36ft, 12ft Garage, 14,500lbs GVW
Old 07-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

It sounds to me like the hitch company was concerned with the capacity of your trailer more than the truck. It is common that 5th wheel trailers do NOT have the capacity in their frames to tow an another trailer, especially one that is about 4K lbs. Something light, say 1000 lbs sure, that's OK, but 4K is way more and much more of a load on the 5th wheel frame. It is a GOOD THING that you are using a 5th wheel and not a bumper pull as they are much more stable and their towing characteristics are more favorable and stable.

My trailer has a pretty good frame and the mfgr 'suggests' that no other trailers be towed behind their 5th wheels (or travel trailers). However, some others with the same trailer have had a fabrication company add supporting structure to the frame to handle another towed vehicle and have had no problems when towing that 2nd trailer. I also have a friend who tows his 26' TT behind his 2004 Dodge Dually and then flat tows his Jeep behind the travel trailer. Never had a problem, but then he was a professional truck driver for a number of years. His trailer frame was substantially strengthened when adding the trailer hitch for the Jeep.

Needless to say, good brake maintenance for all 3 vehicles will be an absolute necessity.

I would talk to the hitch company again and see EXACTLY what their concerns are. I doubt that it's the hitch itself that might be attached to your 5th wheel. And I don't think it's the truck.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 08-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Coojac
Freeze Plug

Hey Colorado,
Congrats on the set up, you will love it. I live in CO as well and have a Short bed crew cab Duramax. I pull a 40' Wildcat 5th wheel and 21' Tige boat. I have found that speeds up to 70mph are fine. Faster than that is not comfortable, especially going over bumps. The boat gets to squirlly. Aside from that, take your time. It's not as bad as people say. Those who are naysayers about this setup don't do much pulling, or pull large or heavy loads. They don't understand or are too afraid to try. I realize your post is a few weeks old. If you have not had a hitch installed, call Cowboy Metal. They are great and will hook you up. I have used another company for a previous 5th wheel and they did an okay job, but Cowboy was great. As far as the length limit goes, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about that. I was told by the CHP they "have better things to do and check for". Once you hit Wyoming or Nebraska, they allow 80'.
JC
Old 08-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
zhensley
Gear Grinder

40 feet, Damn, nice work. Probably not much different than my 29 footer honestly but not sure if I would push 70 mph. I think it would feel fine at 70 mph but just worry about something happening. At the end of the day when I tow that much crap I plan on staying a while so can take my time to get there. What have you done to your truck? is it a 3/4 ton?

I actually did talk to Kurt at Cowboy Metal, and I felt a lot more comfortable about towing after talking to him. He pretty much told me that weight doesn't really matter much, it is all about tongue weight.

Where do you take that tige? I tow a Malibu txi, just went up to ridgeway reservoir. It was actually a pretty sweet lake.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Coojac
Freeze Plug

Zhensely I am finally getting back to you. We go to a private lake in eastern Colorado. Occasionally we visit Wyoming but their rules are as bad as ours here. I ha e heard Ridgeway is beautiful but I have never been there. We live in Morrison. You?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Coojac
Freeze Plug

Sorry I hit send too soon. As far as my truck goes I have deleted it, put in a cold air intake and have EFI Live tuning. She runs great. Had a cummins before but this Allison/Duramax combo is the best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in