Tips for pulling a grade - Monarch Pass Colorado - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lo-Buk
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnpike View Post

Now for going down. Still in T/H, in drive. Snub the brakes as the speed increases. It will down shift and start retarding. If still too fast /gaining speed, snub the brakes hard twice again. If under 3500 RPM it should step down another gear, and retard harder. The retarding/grade brake is unbelievable when the RPM is over 4000 RPM.

THE IDEA IS TO HAVE COLD BRAKES WHEN YOU HIT THE BOTTOM. Drive it more like a semi driver drives his unit. It will be more fun in the long run. You don't have to win the race.... just arrive alive.

learned this lesson comming down the blue ridge mountain in VA. side road, damp and way steep. i needed all the brake i had at the bottom to make the right onto 22. 17k gross, upgraded pads on the truck. next time i will be checking up sooner instead of letting it run down the grade.

turnpike- do you have a turbine brake working on your truck? been thinking of changing my tune up just to get one. some of these grades headed down south or way up north in NY put the old truck to work.

UWUA AFL-CIO Local 1-2
**Totaled**
'liLLY' 05 duramax 2500 CCSB 4X4- 334,995
Limitless Diesel Built trans with Suncoast 1054 converter, Grade C's, ARP head studs, PPE Standard, Edge insight cts w/ EGT probe, Duramax Tuner race valve (plug), Magnaflow 3" downpipe, 5" flow pro, 265 transforce, Bilstein 4600, pcv rerouted, egr blocked, unplugged & bypassed, kitty delete, AFE turbo inlet, Reese wd/ anti sway hitch (cam style with trunion bars), Pacbrake airbags, 110 gallon aux fuel tank, Merchant 'all on' module, transfer case rebuilt (merchant delux bearing kit, pump rub kit and case half), home made winter front, duraflap front and rear, new rockers with bed liner
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Buk View Post
learned this lesson comming down the blue ridge mountain in VA. side road, damp and way steep. i needed all the brake i had at the bottom to make the right onto 22. 17k gross, upgraded pads on the truck. next time i will be checking up sooner instead of letting it run down the grade.

turnpike- do you have a turbine brake working on your truck? been thinking of changing my tune up just to get one. some of these grades headed down south or way up north in NY put the old truck to work.
I have a turbo brakeon mine, love it helps alot.

265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Duramax.com tow tune w/turbo brake
PPE Dual Fueler (P0087 cure)
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges/Edge CTS
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Merchant remanufactured transfer case 748,000
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
Suncoast trans and 1700 stall converter @ 748,000
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????
Old 07-12-2015, 11:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Lo-Buk
Diesel Champ

Efi live or something else?

UWUA AFL-CIO Local 1-2
**Totaled**
Limitless Diesel Built trans with Suncoast 1054 converter, Grade C's, ARP head studs, PPE Standard, Edge insight cts w/ EGT probe, Duramax Tuner race valve (plug), Magnaflow 3" downpipe, 5" flow pro, 265 transforce, Bilstein 4600, pcv rerouted, egr blocked, unplugged & bypassed, kitty delete, AFE turbo inlet, Reese wd/ anti sway hitch (cam style with trunion bars), Pacbrake airbags, 110 gallon aux fuel tank, Merchant 'all on' module, transfer case rebuilt (merchant delux bearing kit, pump rub kit and case half), home made winter front, duraflap front and rear, new rockers with bed liner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 02:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
jake111
Diesel Boss

All great suggestions. Taking it a little further, a couple of weeks ago, with a 2500 lb. camper in the bed (or so, because I haven't actually weighed so it's probably more when loaded) over Sonora Pass in the Sierra Nevadas . . . 26% grade warning. I used low gear (#1) which means I wasn't going very fast, but then there are lots of curves too, but still didn't use the brakes much at all. Adjust to the conditions!!
TxC V2 aux radiator w/Fan (leaked after 12 yrs), engineer837 aux rad , TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
sum12nv
Clutch

Thanks again for all the info and suggestions guys. Definitely eases my mind
28' Work & Play Toy Hauler
Old 07-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Buk View Post
Efi live or something else?
I have a dsp2 switch, tune 1 is 80hp tow with turbo brake, tune 2 is 100 perf/econ tune. Tunes written by Shotgun Bob at duramaxtuner.com.
265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Duramax.com tow tune w/turbo brake
PPE Dual Fueler (P0087 cure)
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges/Edge CTS
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Merchant remanufactured transfer case 748,000
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
Suncoast trans and 1700 stall converter @ 748,000
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????
Old 07-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Lo-Buk
Diesel Champ

I need to swap to efi live.fornthe turbine brake.

UWUA AFL-CIO Local 1-2
**Totaled**
Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 AM   #28 (permalink)
fvstringpicker
Self Ignition

I have an 07 LBZ with EGT gauge. (Edge Insight) and tow a 10k TT. For what its worth, I towed MontEagle pass 4-6% grade for 5 miles, a 10% grade for 1+ mile in west Georgia and various other grades at 5% or greater and well over a mile in length. I keep it in T/H and in gear where the RPM is about 2200. I've never seen my EGT over 1200 or engine/transmission temps out of normal range.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
wyoscout
Diesel Starter

Armed Forces Club Member

I got my truck last month and took off two later towing my 29' TT to OK from SW WY. I was in T/H mode, auto and it was HOT out. I pulled the hill outside Laramie hard due to my inexperience with diesels and being impressed with its capability. As I neared the top the coolant temp spiked and I got an overheat warning. The DIC told me to idle to let it cool. I popped the hood to facilitate that and ten minutes later all was good.

Lessons learned.
Stainless Nerf Bars
Spray in bedliner
Aux LED B/U lights

Retired Navy Senior Chief

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in