service trailer brake system codes? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
jim z
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

service trailer brake system codes?

service trailer brake system comes up on the dic. took it to the dealer and says it has the following codes:C0561 and C0131. they say to replace the brake pressure modulator valve but that may not be the problem. if that doesn't fix it then they will replace the EBCM. truck is 12 denali hd that went out of warranty in jan 2015. does this only effect the trailer brakes or the entire truck brake system? can an aftermarket brake controller be installed? each item installed is about $500 parts and labor. I don't want to just have them start replacing stuff til they figure it out. thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Here is some information about your problem. CO561 says fix C0131 first. It would be good to know more precisely which variant of DTC C0131 they found.

DTC C0131 (Greater than or equal to 8600lb GVW)

Diagnostic Instructions

• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
  • Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
  • Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptors

DTC C0131 01: ABS Pressure Circuit Short to Battery
DTC C0131 03: ABS Pressure Circuit Voltage Below Threshold
DTC C0131 06: ABS Pressure Circuit Short to Ground or Open
DTC C0131 0F: ABS Pressure Circuit Erratic
DTC C0131 4B: ABS Pressure Circuit Calibration not Learned
DTC C0131 5A: ABS Pressure Circuit Plausibility Failure
DTC C0131 55: ABS Pressure Circuit Expected Number of Transitions or Events not Reached

Circuit/System Description

The electronic brake control module (EBCM) monitors the brake pressure sensor. The information the EBCM receives from the brake pressure sensor is sent through serial data circuits to the trailer brake control module(TBCM). The TBCM uses this information to perform trailer brake functions. The brake pressure sensor is mounted to the master cylinder.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• The ignition switch is in the ON position.
  • Ignition voltage is greater than 9.5 volts.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

• Pressure signal does not correlate to estimated Pressure over time.
  • Signal is erratic and changes faster than physically allowed.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The EBCM disables the vehicle stability enhancement system (VSES) for the duration of the ignition cycle.
  • A DIC message and/or a warning indicator may be illuminated.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC

• The condition for the DTC is no longer present.
  • The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 100 consecutive drive cycles.
Circuit/System Testing

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the brake pressure sensor.
  2. Ignition OFF, test for less than 5 ohm between the low reference circuit terminal A and ground.
    • If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance.
  1. Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the 5-volt reference circuit terminal B and ground.
    • If less than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance.
    • If greater than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to voltage.
  1. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the brake pressure sensor. If DTC resets, replace the EBCM.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
jim z
Clutch

They gave me a copy of document id#2138519. it has a mark next to DTC C0131 01 so I am assuming it is that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rwj105
Sparkplug Hunter

I have an 08 and my service trailer brake comes on with our without trailer attached. But it only does it when I put it in reverse. I've changed or the trailer brake relay but I don't want to spend the money on the module is that isn't the issue either. Does anyone know how I can test the system to so if it is a module or a wire itself
Old 08-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
WvGearhead
Clutch

I was pulling an excavator the other day and had to hammer on the brakes and my service trailer brake system came on. My truck is a 2008 lmm. I changed the pressure sensor in the master cylinder, nothing changed. FYI, comes on even with out the trailer. I got to looking and notice the J fuse was blown for #56. Changed it, trailer brakes started working. Lasted about 30 seconds went off again but didn't blow the fuse. So next I changed the relay under the bed, nothing changed. I took it to the dealership and a buddy scanned it with a tech 2 and it had the C0131 symptom 04. He couldn't see anything on his GM service site that referenced that. Would this be the same as 4b listed above?
He did use the tech 2 to read the pressure voltage change when pushing the brake, it was fine. Any ideas?
I hate to keep changing parts hoping for the best.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

I don't have any ideas, except if you had a friend with whom you could exchange ECM's to see if a different ECM fixes the problem. Also, I note, that there are several posts from others who have had problems after slamming on their brakes. Perhaps you could search for other threads and see if anyone has solved their problems.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 08-14-2016, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
WvGearhead
Clutch

I appreciate your help Ron. I will try searching for those threads. It's pretty aggravating when you can't track down the problem.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
WvGearhead
Clutch

Changed out the module and had it flashed. Made it about 3 miles, service trailer brake system came back on. I have now changed the pressure sensor, relay and module. I can not find and bad places in the wiring or any blown fuses. Rear trailer brake plug on the back of the bumper looks clean, but put diaectric grease in it anyway.
Any thoughts? I am about to pull my hair out.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

We're the front brakes bled after changing the pressure switch? They need to be bled when the switch is changed.
Trailer plug and all the trailer harness under truck are unrelated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 08-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
WvGearhead
Clutch

Yes, front brakes were bled.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in