Camplite 8.6 slide in truck camper on a 2500HD - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dooner
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Question: Does this slide in you speak of have A/C? It's stupid HOT here in Vegas during the summer.

'06 Silverado LBZ 2500HD LT CC/LB 4X4, EGR Blocked & Fingered, PCV Reroute, Pro Fab downpipe, Magnaflow High Performance Diesel Cat, 4" MBRP downpipe back system (no muffler) w/5" tip, Fuel Filter Bleeder Valve, Fumoto Valve, Leveled Tow Mirrors, Custom Fabricated Grill Guard with (2) 20" Cree LED Light bars, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Leveling Kit, Air Ride Air Bags, Reese Pro-Series 20K 5th Wheel Hitch, Bilstein 5100's, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/70R17's on chromed H2 rims

2006 Weekend Warrior FS2600 Billet Edition Toyhauler (Sold 1/10/17)
2007 Attitude MKS33 5th Wheel Toyhauler
'19 Can-Am Maverick X3 Max XRS Turbo R
'06 Suzuki LTR450 (Sold)
'07 Suzuki LTZ400 (Sold)
'04 Yamaha Raptor 660 (Sold)
GOT SAND?
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Hot? Huh? No, not here! lol Read 115 yesterday on the rearview mirror temp!

Yes on air. Definitely!

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Old 06-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dooner
Diesel Nut

Yeah, false reading. It was more like 1 million degrees!
'06 Silverado LBZ 2500HD LT CC/LB 4X4, EGR Blocked & Fingered, PCV Reroute, Pro Fab downpipe, Magnaflow High Performance Diesel Cat, 4" MBRP downpipe back system (no muffler) w/5" tip, Fuel Filter Bleeder Valve, Fumoto Valve, Leveled Tow Mirrors, Custom Fabricated Grill Guard with (2) 20" Cree LED Light bars, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Leveling Kit, Air Ride Air Bags, Reese Pro-Series 20K 5th Wheel Hitch, Bilstein 5100's, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/70R17's on chromed H2 rims

2006 Weekend Warrior FS2600 Billet Edition Toyhauler (Sold 1/10/17)
2007 Attitude MKS33 5th Wheel Toyhauler
'19 Can-Am Maverick X3 Max XRS Turbo R
'06 Suzuki LTR450 (Sold)
'07 Suzuki LTZ400 (Sold)
'04 Yamaha Raptor 660 (Sold)
GOT SAND?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 01:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sturgeon-Phish
Diesel Boss

For the limited use you're talking about it should not be a problem
It would take a determination thief to steal a mounted truck camper. They would most likely steal the whole thing
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually LB7 NF2 Federal. Onyx Black, Dark Tint & De-badged, Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; Pace Edwards power tonneau. Isspro EGT & Boost. PPE Boost Valve. Mich. LTX A/T2 LT215/85R16. CTS Insight with backup camera, Air Box mod, Stock exhaust no muffler, Fumato drain valve. B&W turnover with Companion 5th wheel platform, Line-X. Hi/Low Beam light mod. 80 watt LED backup lights . Kennedy Single Pump & Fuel Pre-filter (Thanks John). Weather Tech mats. MA Pump Upgrade with new T case rear half. LDS injectors (Thanks Brent). High Idle mod (Thanks Eric) Hopkins Easylift. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel. Member #1078 3500 Dually Club
Old 06-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

lol. Guys, I guess I wrote my question in post #8 about theft too vague. I was talking about theft of the tiedowns, not the camper. I wouldn't want someone to walk away with my tiedowns.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 06-22-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Just took notice of my factory overloads today. Driver's side is touching and passenger's is not. Truck is as seen in my avatar and has 3/4 tank of fuel (driver's side). So it appears even without a camper (or load) in it the overloads touch and will most definitely be touching the Stableloads if installed. Just an observation.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
jake111
Diesel Boss

The right way to do all of this is fill up with diesel and go weigh the truck, also getting front and rear axle weights. Then look up maximums allowed for the truck. Then figure out if the truck can handle the load. ... I haven't done that.

The loaded weight of the truck is about 7200 lbs. I believe the 2500HD had a GVW of 9200 lbs., so technically you would be overweight. I think there might be a maximum weight listed in the glove compartment?

The 3500 SRW ECLB is rated for 9900 lbs. The 3500 has a higher rating because it came with larger tires (265 E's) instead of (I think) 245 D's (or were they E's?). Other than an extra spring in the rear pack, slightly wider steel rims, and tire size, the 2500HD and 3500 SRW really are about the same (frame, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, etc.).

Again, for just running around town, it's not going to matter (check weight limits on tires and rims; if not enough then consider bigger like the 265 E's which are fine on the stock 2500HD rims).

I'm not initimately familiar with the 2500HD, but assume it does have the lower overload. It doesn't seem like it should be engaged unless there's a load in the bed. I have to pry the opening on some of mine a little to engage the Stableloads, while I could jack up the truck a little (the other option).

Again, if I had quick-release turnbuckles then I would use a lock. I do use a locking hitch pin on the removable portion of the Torklift tie-down.
TxC V2 aux radiator w/Fan (leaked after 12 yrs), engineer837 aux rad , TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Thanks. Yea, I can't remember now the number in the glove box for a load in the bed, but it was definitely below 2100 pounds. And that's why I really needed to ask folks with experience. There's "legal" and there's "it'll be fine". My OCD tells me not to do it, but then I'm gonna feel crappy every time I see a camper on a 2500 thinking "why didn't I try it".

It does surprise me that a 2500HD is not enough truck for a camper... OR ... that campers are so darn heavy. I didn't expect everyone not in a dually was overloaded...and some with slideouts...wow.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Torklift Sheryl
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
I know better than to post this in the "Suspension" thread as that'd be like asking the barber if I need a haircut. And I know that one can follow the specs to the letter. BUT, I'm looking for your personal experience, the results of actual real life toting of a slide in similar to my set up I'll describe. Please answer with your knowledge and not your opinion - No need quoting the glovebox sticker or "what if". I'm looking for old school real world experience. Thanks!

Here goes:

I have a 2006 LBZ, 2500HD (my avatar), extended cab, long bed, 4x4, SRW, auto, SLT (all the options), tow package, not raised or otherwise jacked up, Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S LT235/85R-16/E1 120R on stock rims, Line-X bedliner and Reunel oversized heavy arse bumpers that box in the frame at both ends>> Reunel Extreme Heavy Duty Bumpers

I want a Camplite 8.6C aluminum and plastic slide in camper. https://www.livinlite.com/8_6-overview.php
It weighs 2100 pounds empty / dry. It ends at the rear bumper (no overhang) and no slideouts. It would be tied down to the frame.

Do I HAVE TO make any modifications to carry that load? I know people suggest airbags, springs, sway bars. And I'm not opposed. BUT, is it a MUST???

It would stay on the truck 95% of the time and is intended for overnite stays around town. We (just the wife & I) often goto late night events and this would be ideal to stumble back to after a night of indulging. And while we never plan to hit the interstate with it, we may.
We conducted a test recently to show how StableLoad stabilizes your truckís suspension in comparison to airbags and your stock suspension in the sort of driving conditions youíll most likely be experiencing around town with your truck camper:

https://youtu.be/DpeZxqSBAOQ

Most of our customers find that StableLoad is the only suspension upgrade they need to make to help their truck handle the weight of their truck camper. With especially heavy loads, StableLoads can be used in conjunction with air bags as needed. In such instances StableLoad allows you to run significantly lower air pressure in your air bags which helps keep as much load as possible distributed through your factory suspension as the truck engineers intended.

You can learn more about StableLoad here:
Truck Camper Suspension - truck sway - truck sag - reduce camper roll | StableLoad

Torklift tie downs:
True Frame Mounted Camper Tie Downs | Torklift International

Torklift turnbuckles:
Truck camper turnbuckles - Industrial turnbuckle | FastGun

Hope this helps with your search. It sounds like you are going to have a great time once your camper is ready to go : )
http://torklift.com/blog
Old 06-27-2015, 02:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
jake111
Diesel Boss

I just went out and looked at mine. The glove box says 2200 lbs. for a camper but my Lance is about 2400 lbs. (wet). The door sticker says 9900 lbs. GVW. Assuming about 7200 lbs. for the truck, then I have about 2700 lbs. for the camper and us. I'd say I'm definitely at that limit.

Again, your stickers will be a little lower because it's a 2500HD instead of a 3500. But they are different because of the OEM tire capacity and not because of suspension, drivetrain, or brakes.

As you noted, both my camper and the one you are looking at are relatively "light" compared to the 9-12 footers with slideouts that are available, and weight up to 4000 lbs. I don't know how they do it, either, but duallies for sure.

TxC V2 aux radiator w/Fan (leaked after 12 yrs), engineer837 aux rad , TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in