Buying a new trailer - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2015, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Turbo_Drive
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Buying a new trailer

Right now I've narrowed it down to either a Kaufman or a Diamond C trailer. Have any of you had any experience with either one? I can get either one in a 30ft Tri axle with 30k# GWR for around $14k, just looking for a quality trailer that won't break the bank, so anyone has and other recommendations that would be greatly appreciated, thanks

5" flo pro exhaust
Kory Willis custom tuning
www.syntheticmotorsports.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
garrett41
Rather Be Fishin'

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

What kind of work do you plan on doing with the trailer? A 15 ton trailer is a bit overkill for a 1 ton, let alone a 3/4 ton. My dually isn't even rated for 30k lbs with the truck and trailer combined. I think my manufacturer specified trailering limit is somewhere around 21,700lbs with my crew cab 4x4 configuration.

Are the trailers you've been looking at triple singles or triple tandems?

If you really want that heavy of a trailer, I would still recommend looking for something in a dual tandem rather than the triple axle. Triple axles are much harder on the tires when you get yourself into a situation where you need some tight turning. The front and rear axle tires will actually get dragged sideways a bit when turning, especially on tight turns when moving in reverse. Makes them look like they are going to get ripped off the rims.

I have no experience with either of the trailer manufacturers you mentioned, but if I was in the market for a 10-15 ton trailer, I'd be looking at Red Rhino, followed closely by Big Tex. On a budget, the Gatormade trailers have come a long ways in terms of quality from how they started out. Better materials and axles now than they used to have.

Good luck and post up some pics if you get one!

2013 Palomino Puma Unleashed 356QLB Toy Hauler
36ft, 12ft Garage, 14,500lbs GVW
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
rdminter
Diesel Nut

My 5th wheel has the same problem while tight turning, looks like I am going to rip the
tires right off. It has tandem axles.
Prodigy wireless brake controller. Iridium Sat phone, pcv reroute, boost guage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
ottomatic
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

TN Diesel Place Club Member

https://www.outbacktrailers.com/heav...ent-trailers-3

great trailers. pulled em' and used them.

BTW: Made in Ala. Between Birmingham & Gadsen right on I 59
4 tires & rims, headlights & tail lights, diesel motor, automatic transmission (Allison) w/ leaky lines , heat & ac (forced air), electrically operated adjustable seats, sun roof (leaks), steering wheel (clunks) .
Check Engine light on for 2 1/2 years . Code P003A
Got tired of clearing. Truck runs fine 17mpg around town, 22.3 highway.
Lighted steering wheel controls: Bulbs blew after 1.5 years of ownership.
GM should swap bulbs with check engine light.
BTW Fuel additive EVERY tank since new.

2015 GSW SE TDI manual Reflex silver 55 mpg (best 260 mi trip)

Last edited by ottomatic; 06-03-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Turbo_Drive
Clutch

Garett41, The trailer will be used mainly for moving a dozer, the ones I have been looking at are triple tandem axles. I was going to go with 15,000# dual tandems but the price is nearly $5,000 more than triple 10k axles. If they are that hard on tires and rims it maybe better to fork out the extra for dual 15k axles. I haven't looked at red rhino or big tex yet, had a Gatormade priced, looked like very nice trailers but at $21,000 for a 30ft I ruled them out. I talked to a friend of mine this morning and he is using a 37ft sure pull with triple 10k axles to move his Dozer with, bought it in '97 and said 90% of the time his Dozer has been on it with very few problems. So I'm gonna give them a shout and she where their prices are at. When I get one I'll definitely post up some pics, thanks for the input.

Thanks ottomatic, imma give them a call here shortly and see what they have to offer.
5" flo pro exhaust
Old 06-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
garrett41
Rather Be Fishin'

Wow, a dozer. How much does it weigh? My backhoe is about 15,000lbs, and it puts me overweight.

If you get up around 25k# total behind you, you're going to be looking at about a 4,000lbs+ of tongue weight, even at only 15% on the truck, which is on the low end.

Is this for behind the 2500? Or do you have a bigger rig to pull it with? I think 2500's are only rated for about 3,000lbs on the pin. Seems like that would pretty much kill the suspension on it.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Turbo_Drive
Clutch

One of the dozers weights around 19k and the other is between 20k and 21k#'s . I wanna say your spot on with the 4000 tongue weight, pretty sure that's what my friend figured his was with his cat D5k LGP on the trailer. Don't worry I'm not gonna be pulling this kinda weight with the 2500, looking at a f350 or f450 with a 7.3L. I really want an extended cab GMC or chevy 3500HD but they are hard to find around here that are not gonna cost you an arm and a leg.
5" flo pro exhaust
Old 06-03-2015, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
garrett41
Rather Be Fishin'

Ah, ok, yeah, that sounds better.

Yeah, sometimes you just have to go with what truck works best for the job and fits the budget. I have a brand loyalty sickness that I'm sure a lot of folks on here share, but Ford does make a nice truck too. An F450 would be a nice rig for that, and a 1-ton from either brand would probably be able to handle it on a part time basis.

Do you use the dozer for farm work? Or are you in construction? Just an FYI, you might need to look into local CDL requirements if you are doing any for-hire work with the dozer.

I enjoy trailer shopping from the couch sometimes, so if I come across any new leads that sound like what you are looking for I'll let you know...

Old 06-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Turbo_Drive
Clutch

Well, don't get me wrong, I had that same sickness to, always been GM trucks and Deere equipment. Here in the last year though something changed, I'm really liking the new cat equipment and starting to come around to the idea of owning a ford . maybe that just because I really hate to beat the hell out of a perfectly good GMC or Chevy going in and outa the woods, haha. By the way, forestry work is what the Dozer is mainly used for, besides our projects around the farm. I've checked on the requirements to move it with the rig I want and I'll have to have my CDL which I'm working on getting now.

yeah if you run across something let me know, I appreciate it. I'm the same way with couch shopping, I'll get bored on a rainy day and sit on the computer and look at everything under the sun, lol
5" flo pro exhaust
Old 06-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mark13
Diesel Head

Send a message via AIM to Mark13 Send a message via MSN to Mark13

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Drive View Post
One of the dozers weights around 19k and the other is between 20k and 21k#'s . I wanna say your spot on with the 4000 tongue weight, pretty sure that's what my friend figured his was with his cat D5k LGP on the trailer. Don't worry I'm not gonna be pulling this kinda weight with the 2500, looking at a f350 or f450 with a 7.3L. I really want an extended cab GMC or chevy 3500HD but they are hard to find around here that are not gonna cost you an arm and a leg.

For what you intend to do, I'd look for an F550 with the 7.3 and a ZF6. An F450 would be ok but the F550's have a bigger rear end in those years and I'm sure you won't mind the higher GVWR either if you plan to use it as a work truck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in