5th wheel size for shortbed - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
elkaholic
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

5th wheel size for shortbed

Hello all,
I have been looking to get into a 5th wheel toy hauler, I have a question for all you already doing so. I have a 2002 Duramax short bed, i have the predator diablo programer with the banks monster exhaust, 6" lift with 35's.

My question is what is the largest 5th wheel I can tow safely with my truck?? I found a really nice 43', but want to make sure i am not going to have any issues towing it with the short bed and my setup.

with that being said, i know nothing about 5th wheels and what i will need as far as a receiver for the bed, brand , size..etc... any and all help will be very grateful!!

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Moved to proper area.

The size of the trailer is unimportant. What is important is the weight of the trailer, the pin weight of the trailer and the capacity of your truck. Also, with a short bed, you will most likely need a slider hitch to prevent the front of the trailer from crunching the back of the cab when making sharp turns.

For more info on weight matters and what's what, go here: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-...abet-soup.html

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
elkhorn98
Diesel Fanatic

I think you might have a problem with a 6" inch & 35" tires and a 5th wheel. They aren't made to ride at that height. You want them to ride level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
lynn1130
Diesel Apprentice

Yes, pin weight, as well as your gross weight will be determining factors and I agree that the lift is probably going to be an issue with a 5th wheel. The other issue with a heavy trailer is stopping it and keeping it within speeds on the mountain grades. An exhaust brake is almost manditory.

The Heartland trailers are the only ones I know of that have an 88 degree turning ability. There are probably others but I have no issues with a short bed and sharp turns.
Kennedy Lift Pump
Edge Insight

Sold: 2004 Duramax LB7

2011 3010 Heartland Cyclone HD 35' Toyhauler

Last edited by lynn1130; 05-25-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
lynn1130
Diesel Apprentice

These may help.

RV Safety|RV Towing Calculator|Tow Ratings|GCWR

How Much Can A Half-ton Truck Tow Without Exceeding Ratings?

http://fifthwheelst.com/2015-three-q...ck-towing.html

RV Tow Check 2.0 | Towing Guide Eliminator
Kennedy Lift Pump
Edge Insight

Sold: 2004 Duramax LB7

2011 3010 Heartland Cyclone HD 35' Toyhauler
Old 05-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
RINGNEKS
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhorn98 View Post
I think you might have a problem with a 6" inch & 35" tires and a 5th wheel. They aren't made to ride at that height. You want them to ride level.
I agree this is by far going to be your biggest problem, getting the rv to ride level. I've towed with a short bed for 12 plus years and never used the slider hitch, last year when we purchased our toy hauler I went to the husky 26K with no slider and still have had no problems.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
24tucson
Low Boost

Whoever you buy the 5th from should be able to tell you the size of the hitch you'll need. I have a short bed (2005 Silverado 2500 HD) with a Reese slider. Never had to use the slider. That depends on how the front of the 5th wheel is constructed. I have a 2006 37' Keystone Sprinter. Even on very short turns, I still have a couple of inches of clearance between the cab and the end cap without using the slider. I have seen other rigs where even using the slider, they have problems. Once you decide on which 5th wheel you are going to get, try to find out from other owners about turning radius issues. Should be able to get that info on various web sites ie. this one, RV.net, etc.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24tucson View Post
Whoever you buy the 5th from should be able to tell you the size of the hitch you'll need. I have a short bed (2005 Silverado 2500 HD) with a Reese slider. Never had to use the slider. That depends on how the front of the 5th wheel is constructed. I have a 2006 37' Keystone Sprinter. Even on very short turns, I still have a couple of inches of clearance between the cab and the end cap without using the slider. I have seen other rigs where even using the slider, they have problems. Once you decide on which 5th wheel you are going to get, try to find out from other owners about turning radius issues. Should be able to get that info on various web sites ie. this one, RV.net, etc.
They should, but my experience with RV sales people is they will tell you anything to sell a unit. See this kind of thing on the trailer sites all the time.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 05-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
fvstringpicker
Self Ignition

I think those folks are promoting their "Automated Safety Hitch System" and may be embellishing things a little.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
elkaholic
Low Boost

Thanx for all the reply's!! The trailer I was looking at is a private owner, not a dealer. I will ask about the pin weight. and do some reading on the links ya'll provided.

Thanx!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in