Question: Want to buy 5th wheel - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVIDEO
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Icon6 Want to buy 5th wheel

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4x4 diesel with a 3:73 rear end. I want to by a fifth wheel with the following specs:

dry hitch weight 2060lbs
unloaded vehicle weight 12275lbs
GVWR 15500lbs
cargo carry capacity 3225lbs
Fresh water cap. 64 gal
gray water cap. 140 gal
black water cap. 108 gal

Can I haul this?
How close over or under to max am I?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

First off, welcome to the forum!

Crew cabs, extended cabs, regular cabs and the various size beds all have different weight ratings. Open your driver's door and look at the specs given for your truck. As for the pin weight, until you weigh your truck to see how much weight the rear axle already has, you won't know if you're going to be over or under. Plus the MFG stated pin weight will change depending on how you load the trailer. Also remember that GVW is with the truck loaded, so if that includes you, a wife, three kids and a dog, along with a tool box in the bed and some additional camping supplies, they all have to be added in when weighing the truck to see how close you already are to the GVW rating.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown

Last edited by Tom S.; 04-22-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVIDEO
Low Boost

The door panel says: GAWR GAWR FRT GAWR RR
10,000 LBS 5,200 LBS 6,200 LBS

Does this help you figure it out?

I found on truck trend mag. that for a Denali crew cab, std. box:

4wd w/6.6L (3.73 axle) is 15,600 lbs trailer towing maximum with 5th wheel but if
you go on GMC web site it says: 16,800 lbs. ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
dwrat
Diesel Pro

You will need air bags if you don't already have them.
Otherwise you should be fine.
you will be very close to your max limit but until you weigh the rig you will never really know.
3500 Dually Club Member #804
Old 04-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Superstar

You can legally carry 11,400 lbs total on your trucks axles. With air bags and the weight properly distributed you should be fine if you have appropriate tires. I had to rescue a friend in Panama city two weekends ago (his 11' dodge Cummins auto puked) he commercial hauls cars with a five car hauler. Put his dually on the back of the trailer and the Buick in the middle. Trailer was 21,000lbs had to cross two scales both passed me. I do not normally tow that much but you can if its loaded correctly.
265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Duramax.com tow tune w/turbo brake
PPE Dual Fueler (P0087 cure)
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges/Edge CTS
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Merchant remanufactured transfer case 748,000
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
Suncoast trans and 1700 stall converter @ 748,000
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????
Old 04-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
EVIDEO
Low Boost

What kind of air bags would you suggest? Where can I get them and what kind of money are we talking about? I also need to get a 5 wheel hitch. Any thoughts on a good one?

Thank-you in advance.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Sturgeon-Phish
Diesel Boss

I had Firestone bags on my '96 2500. My hitch is a B&W Companion. Had others but this one is really great, especially if you're already have a Turnover ball for a goose neck. That is a lot of camper to pull on a regular basis with your 2500. I've done it and now with the 3500 dually I would not go back to a 2500.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually LB7 NF2 Federal. Onyx Black, Dark Tint & De-badged, Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; Pace Edwards power tonneau. Isspro EGT & Boost. PPE Boost Valve. Mich. LTX A/T2 LT215/85R16. CTS Insight with backup camera, Air Box mod, Stock exhaust no muffler, Fumato drain valve. B&W turnover with Companion 5th wheel platform, Line-X. Hi/Low Beam light mod. 80 watt LED backup lights . Kennedy Single Pump & Fuel Pre-filter (Thanks John). Weather Tech mats. MA Pump Upgrade with new T case rear half. LDS injectors (Thanks Brent). High Idle mod (Thanks Eric) Hopkins Easylift. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel. Member #1078 3500 Dually Club
Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Franka548
Glow Plug

You will be over 11,000# Gross on the truck and probably around 6500 to 6800# on the rear axle depending on the pin weight. The truck will pull it just fine, but you will be over the door numbers, and maybe the load ratings on the rear tires. I would bet that your pin weight will be between 2800 and 3200# depending on the amount of water in the fresh water tank and what you put in the front compartments.
Frank
03 3500 CCLB dually 2wd, Grizzley locker, AAM finned aluminum diff. cover, PPE boost valve, Holley lift pump with NAPA 2micron filter, BD exhaust manifold, K&N intake, Bully Dog 4" exhaust, Eagle Aluminum Wheels, Cooper Discoverer HT's 215/85R16 LRE, AirLift Road Tamer full air ride on rear, Bilstein HD shocks, Stomburg-Carlson flowthru tailgate, Autometer EGT and Boost on pillar, RDS 60 gal auxilary fuel tank w/toolbox, Line-X spray in bed liner, Black Powdercoated diamond plate running boards and rear flaps, Reese 22k fifth wheel hitch
07 Alfa Gold 30' fifth wheel, 2 slides, power everything
3500 Dually Club Member #1079

Last edited by Franka548; 04-23-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

I've had both Firestone and Air Lift air bags, and like the Air Lift because they cost less but are the same quality as the Firestone's. I recently bought their 5000 Ultimate series and paid $375 through Amazon, plus they had a $50 rebate, which brought the cost down to $325.

5th wheel hitches are like car brands, everyone has a favorite. If you have a short bed, you are going to want to look at one with a slider that lets the hitch move backwards when parking to give you cab to 5th wheel clearance on sharp turns. Hitches also run the gambit in price, up over 3 thousand dollars for the real expensive air type. If money is an issue, consider buying used from Craigslist or a local RV dealer. Hitches come in two parts, the hitch that sets above the bed, and the rails it mounts to beneath the bed. You may find a used hitch but still need to buy the rail mount for your vehicle. Get a hitch that is rated for more than your trailer weighs, in your case, 18K or higher would be good.

What brand 5th wheel are you getting?

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 04-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVIDEO
Low Boost

Icon6

I am buying a 2016 River Forest Sierra 265SAQB I think. After reading that it might be to big for my truck, I am now wondering if I should order it or not.Can anyone else chime in and give me your 2 cent on it. I don't know what to do!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in