"Check wire connection" 2015 HD - Page 9 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #81 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutwad View Post
I just checked ohms from brake to ground in trailer plug and got 280. Is that 2.8 or something wrong?
You need to carefully look at your voltage tester display to see what it tells you. May also need to look at your 'scale' setting if it has one. Post a clear picture if you can't figure it out.

Clearly, there is a problem. Fix it, do not ignore it.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers

Last edited by Ron Nielson; 04-19-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #82 (permalink)
HOU_DENALI
Diesel Rookie

After reading this entire thread I finally got some time to take a look at my brand new Heartland Mallard travel trailer. I would get the check wiring messages sporadically over our last few trips and it was getting on my nerves. With a 5000+ trip coming up in a couple of days I decided to check it out. I removed all the wheels, visually inspected the wiring and saw nothing. Pretty disappointing actually as I was hoping to find an exposed wire in one of the 4 wheels. My dad came by to lend a hand and he started checking voltages at the magnets. Rear axle read 12v+, front axle, almost nothing. Since the wires back there all looked good we proceeded to check the front junction box where the 7way plugs comes in. Found a loose ground cable in there. Fixed that, but still no juice in the front axle. My trailer has the underbelly cover, so we proceeded to undo that along the drivers side and follow the wiring back to the axle. When we got to the area above the axle low and behold. Some funky *** connector was there where wires from the front connected to wires going into the brakes and it was not crimped down enough. Replaced it and reconnected everything and finally had the correct voltage back there. I hope this was it for my case. Guess the truck really is smarter than the RV guys, lol.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #83 (permalink)
Molinari47
Gear Grinder

Check Trailer Wiring 2016 3500HD

Trailer and truck are 18 months old. Travel extensively last year without an issue. On a trip west this year, the dreaded "Check trailer wiring" warning came on followed immediately by "Trailer connected" (at least once I also got "Service Trailer Brake System" warning and the brake gain panel went blank). Took it to a GM dealer in Kearney Nebraska who could not locate an issue but changed the bumper receptacle per the GM bulletin. For the first 100 miles everything worked fine, but then the message would come back. Only happens when the truck is moving (which means warning should stay on until the engine is turned off). Diverted to Denver, where I had a GM dealer who checked the DIC, brake controller and wiring and could fine no issues. They did recommend switching to a Pollak 7 way (Part 12-706). Spoke with the folks at Pollak and they indicated that the "tulip" type blades can somertimers "confuse" ther truck sensors, while their 7way have only one blade. The trailer is currently with a dealer who checked all wiring, ground and the junction box and couldn't find a problem.
They also were supposed to check resistance and amp to the brakes but not certain of results.

Two Questions:

1. Has anyone had problem resolved by switching both the recepticle and the plug (to the Pollak one).

2. I have a two axle 10 inch wheel setup (electric brakes). What should be total amps and ohms?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #84 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

4.0 ohm per brake
2.0 ohm per axle
1.0 ohm for two axles together.
All are +/- 10%
Measure between ground (white) and trailer activate (blue).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 09-19-2017, 12:17 AM   #85 (permalink)
Molinari47
Gear Grinder

Thanks. One dumb question: if I attach one lead to the ground and one to the brake on the 7way connector should the reading be 1.0 for a two axle trailer. Also what should amps be for 10 inch wheels. Thanks
Old 09-19-2017, 12:25 AM   #86 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Between the ground and activate on 7pin plug. Frame ground is irrelevant.
No idea what "amps on 10 wheels" means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 10-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #87 (permalink)
PA24Pilot
Diesel Starter

This is from another discussion that I posted in. You have the exact symptoms I had.

It has been a year since I posted on this thread. My brake problem was fixed by replacing the wiring that ran internal through the axles. The wire between the L & R sides had excess wire so they left it stuffed inside the axle tube. Think of the loose wire having a shape of a Z. The corners wore on the sides of the tube causing a short to ground. It was intermittent. I replaced the wire but ran it on the outside of the axle tube. Now it will not vibrate and short out. Easy to inspect also.

No problems this camping season, only about 5000 miles towing.
Joe

Traded in 2003 Chevy 2500HD LT D/A EC/SB 4X4
DualComp Bedliner, Truxedo cover, Westin Platinum SS Steps, Predator (Level 2), Astrostart 2106, Bilstein shocks, ISSPRO gauges in Trippin overhead mount.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #88 (permalink)
MRC
Glow Plug

Could a dead breakaway battery be the cause? I started having the on and off issue on the DIC tonight, I noticed the small battery was dead and was wondering if that could be a cause? Beeps are extremely irritating to say the least.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #89 (permalink)
bheasley
Low Boost

After reading through most of the posts in this thread, I redid my trailer ground, put dielectric grease on all of the connections in my fifth wheel junction box and still had the "check trailer wiring" message. I then checked the ohm reading on the trailer brakes and had a very low reading but the low reading was not unexpected since I have a 3 axle fifth wheel. I then pulled the pin on the emergency breakaway switch to see if i could hear the trailer brakes humming. No humming was heard but when i came back to reinstall the pin in the breakaway switch, the breakaway switch was smoking. I disconnected the breakaway switch and reconnected the truck to the trailer and got no "check trailer wiring" message. I have a Venom fifth wheel and it came with an Esco breakaway switch that was bad after 18 months of use. I replaced the Esco switch with a Tekonsha breakaway switch that I purchased from Amazon and the problem is fixed. trailer brakes now work better than they ever have.

2016 Silverado LT 3500HD Dually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in