"Check wire connection" 2015 HD - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The only thing the truck is "looking" for is the brake wire, that's how it knows a trailer is connected. I would focus on those wires. Check the brake wiring and if they don't have it, I would suggest running a wired ground to each brake.

MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2015, 09:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Read this https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-...er-brakes.html
Then reevaluate your trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 07-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Copied from another forum. May be the answer to other peoples problems also.

------------------------------------------------------

We have been having intermittent brake failures ever since we purchased the unit.

The first time was in Dawson City, Yukon in 2011. We were pulling out of the campground, in pouring rain, going to head over to Chicken, AK when the trailer brakes quit working. We pulled over and started to trouble shoot the issue. We found no obvious problem with the system and a call to OnStar to discuss the truck’s diagnostic which yielded no further information. We pulled the emergency trailer cord out to see if that would activate the brakes and it did. It also seemed to re-set the system and we had brakes again. Very strange.

Over the next 2 weeks during the trip the same thing would happen and the same action seemed to make things better. We would get two different messages on the GMC’s DIC – “Service Trailer Brake System” or “Check Trailer Wiring”.

When we returned home we worked on the truck thinking that it was the problem. We replaced 3 of the 4 possible modules in the GMC Integrated Trailer Brake Control System. This, again, seemed to work however the brakes failed again on a weekend camping trip and this time the 30 Amp fuse in the truck blew. Replaced that and it worked.

Everything worked fine for the next camping season and we thought we had it beat. Last year we headed to the Oregon coast and everything started to happen again. Lost brakes along Columbia River and took truck to GMC dealer in Astoria. Fantastic service from them, can’t say enough good things about how they treated us. Replaced the 30A fuse again and got some advice. Took truck back to Ft Stevens campground and plugged everything back in to see if it all worked. Pulled the Emergency Brake wire out and the wiring in the pin box caught fire and we nearly lost the entire trailer. We spent the next two days re-wiring the pin box. Brakes working on and off again throughout the trip.
We checked the umbilical cord and found that it was manufactured with a defect. We replaced the plug and now the blown fuses stopped happening. When we got home we cut the plug end apart and found that the internal wiring was faulty; the trailer brake and the ground wires were not entirely in place when it was molded and they were able to touch. This seemed to cause the truck fuse to blow.

This year we headed out and on the second day the brakes failed again. We came home and we pulled the tires off and inspected the brakes and wiring. We found what we think was the problem:

On the left side of the trailer the butt connectors which connect the wiring harness to the individual wheel brakes were improperly installed. It looks like the wire was “jammed” into the connector and several strands of wire were left exposed. These exposed wires could touch each other and/or other metal parts of the trailer. This may explain why the brakes seemed to fail either when they got wet or when we traveled over rough ground. All four connectors on the left side were like this. The right hand side connections seem OK. We replaced the connectors with new waterproof ones and took it for a test drive. So far so good. All that remains is to adjust the brakes as they seem to be not grabbing enough for my liking.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
phil50
Gear Grinder

Our problem solved

For us, the problem was solved when it was determined there wasn't enough "give" in the cord. It was connected, but taut. When there was a turn or a bump, the assumption was it would pull loose, causing the message to display.

We replaced the cord and it's been fine since. Crossing fingers, of course. But I think we solved the problem for us.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Amber
Sparkplug Hunter

Having the same issue

I am having the exact same issue with my 2014 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax. The "Check Trailer Wiring" came up immediately when I started hauling my horse trailer, which has been fine with 07-2011 Duramax's. I just came online to see if other people are having this same issue and have found that a majority are, with no set "fix" that works. My husband re-wired my 7-way adapter and now it is much worse! It dings every other second! I am a barrel racer and haul with this truck daily and I am about to lose my mind! I have only owned this truck for a week. Maybe that is why someone traded it in to begin with :/. Any help would be much appreciated! Amber
Old 08-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Amber, welcome to the diesel place! Check the resistance between the two trailer brake wires and report back. It could be as simple as one trailer brake magnet not working. The number you are looking for is about 1.4 ohms of resistance.
2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
gunnerpup
Gear Grinder

2015 trailer plug

I have a 2015 GMC 2500 Diesel and am having the same problem. "check Wiring" I have 3 trailers and it comes on with every one. It didn't come on with my 05 or 13. I put a plug in my bed for my goose neck and the warning does not come on, so that tells me it has to be something wrong with the factory plug. I have been back to the dealer and they tell me nothing is wrong. Has anybody contacted GM for maybe a "recall issue"? Just wondering if anybody has found a way to actually correct this issue with out a cost to us since most of us should still be under warranty.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerpup View Post
I have a 2015 GMC 2500 Diesel and am having the same problem. "check Wiring" I have 3 trailers and it comes on with every one. It didn't come on with my 05 or 13. I put a plug in my bed for my goose neck and the warning does not come on, so that tells me it has to be something wrong with the factory plug. I have been back to the dealer and they tell me nothing is wrong. Has anybody contacted GM for maybe a "recall issue"? Just wondering if anybody has found a way to actually correct this issue with out a cost to us since most of us should still be under warranty.
If I understand correctly, if you plug your trailer in the OEM bumper plug, your DIC shows a message saying "CHECK TRAILER WIRING", but if you plug the same trailer into your bed receptacle, everything works just fine. Is that correct? Is the plug in the bed custom wired into the truck's harness, or is it one of the plug-n-play type harnesses that just plug into the truck's wiring system?

When plugged into the in-bed receptacle, everything works correctly?

If so, I'm thinking that your dealer doesn't work any better than your truck's bumper receptacle. There must be a problem with the bumper receptacle.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 08-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
gunnerpup
Gear Grinder

Yes Ron That is correct. The bed haa a plug and play type and I don't have any issues. If I use the goose neck plug and plug it into the bumper OEM one ite warning comes on. I agree there is a problem with the bumper receptacle but the dealer says no and I took the truck to a buddy of mine who owns a trailer place and he can't fine anything wrong either. He thinks its a ****ty set up and I agree. We think anytime the truck and trailer hits a bump it comes unplugged and then resets itself. I am afraid to mess with it to void any warranty with it. Should of kept the Dodge! LOL
Old 08-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

The bumper mounted receptacle and the GN receptacle (plug-n-play) both plug into the wiring harness at the same place. If the GN works, and the bumper doesn't, I'd have a hard look at the connector and wiring for the bumper receptacle. It's pretty easy to use a 7-way tester to see if the the bumper mounted receptacle works correctly. See here:

It's also a good thing to have if you have a trailer or two.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in