Diesel Place banner

My head is spinning-trailers tires....

8K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  dmax3500 
#1 ·
It's time for new tires for my trailer. I've had Maxxis Commercial truck tires in 235/85-16 for the past two years. The trailer had them on it when I bought it, so there is no telling how old they are so they have held up well considering. Trailer axles are rated at 6000lbs each so these regular trucks tires had enough capacity. I also like the fact that truck tires are speed rated for over 70 mph and I run for hours at 68-72 mph at a time. I would like the extra safety and capacity of trailer tires in 235-80-16, but they are not speed rated for over 65 and it is very hard to find one that is not Chinese made junk. Even Goodyear Marathons are made in China now and are getting bad reviews. I've looked at the Goodyear G614 in 16 inch and 114's in 17.5, but both would require new rims, not to mention they are pricey. Is there any other tire in 235-80 or 235-85 that is rated for at least 3400lbs each and is also speed rated at over 70 mph? It can be a trailer tire or truck tire.

#2 ·
There is a number on the side of the tire that indicates year and month they were made. Other than that, you've answered your own questions. There are some commercial truck tires in the "F" rating, but they are hard to find and I don't know if they come in your size or not.

#3 ·
There is a number on the side of the tire that indicates year and month they were made. Other than that, you've answered your own questions. There are some commercial truck tires in the "F" rating, but they are hard to find and I don't know if they come in your size or not.
The only thing I don't like about regular truck tires is that they flex a lot when turning deep, but that only happens once every trip or 2. It just seems like their should be more options in trailer tires than there are. :(

#4 · (Edited)
After much research, I went with the Maxxis UE-168 on my RV. I am pleased with the deeper tread and lack of the 65MPH rating. I really wanted to get away from the ST tires. Mine are 225/70 R15. I purchased them from Onlinetires without any problems. I ordered them via a telephone call.
One of the most vocal site for trailer tires research is the RV forums.

If money is not a consideration... This is a great tire, Michelin XPS rib. Some trailers use the same 8 bolt pattern the same as your truck. If you used them on your truck then the same spare might fit trailer and truck.

A little side note from a Goodyear sales man... Marathons are much improved, but we still see way too many bad ones.

#5 ·
After much research, I went with the Maxxis UE-168 on my RV. I am pleased with the deeper tread and lack of the 65MPH rating. I really wanted to get away from the ST tires. Mine are 225/70 R15. I purchased them from Onlinetires without any problems. I ordered them via a telephone call.
One of the most vocal site for trailer tires research is the RV forums.

If money is not a consideration... This is a great tire, Michelin XPS rib. Some trailers use the same 8 bolt pattern the same as your truck. If you used them on your truck then the same spare might fit trailer and truck.

A little side note from a Goodyear sales man... Marathons are much improved, but we still see way too many bad ones.
Those Maxxis look like the newer version of my current tires. Even the tread design is the same.

#7 ·
Another vote for the Michelin XPS ribs.

#8 ·
Carlisle makes a Radial Trail RH in a ST235/85R16 and they are a LRE tire with a 3,640 pound rating. All the Carlisle I have bought lately have been made in the USA too. The G6114's are an amazing tire, very durable, minimal flex, and I feel they help with fuel economy since they have such little rolling resistance, they are definitely my top pick and what I run. The advice to buy just any old 235 and put it on their is not very good advice. Most LT truck tires in that size are rated for 3,042 pounds. DOT states that any tire not manufactured specifically for trailer service should be derated by 10%. So now your tires have a total capacity of 10,951 pounds, which is obviously well under the axle capacity of 12,000 pounds. My advice to to stick with an ST tire.

#9 ·
Carlisle makes a Radial Trail RH in a ST235/85R16 and they are a LRE tire with a 3,640 pound rating. All the Carlisle I have bought lately have been made in the USA too. The G6114's are an amazing tire, very durable, minimal flex, and I feel they help with fuel economy since they have such little rolling resistance, they are definitely my top pick and what I run. The advice to buy just any old 235 and put it on their is not very good advice. Most LT truck tires in that size are rated for 3,042 pounds. DOT states that any tire not manufactured specifically for trailer service should be derated by 10%. So now your tires have a total capacity of 10,951 pounds, which is obviously well under the axle capacity of 12,000 pounds. My advice to to stick with an ST tire.
2 words on Carlisle: research them.

#11 ·
On the GY G614's, will they work with normal steel wheels, or do I have to get high pressure wheels since you have to air the up to 110 PSI? It's looking like I will have to go back to LT tires to get everything I want or spend $350 a tires plus another 75 for new wheels to run the G614's. UGH!!!!! I can spend 160 a piece of LT's and get everything but the weight rating. Most of the time, I will be well under that rating too, so it won't matter that much. Trailer weighs under 7000lbs empty and I can have up to 3500 lbs of pin weight and most of the time I am under 7000lbs in cargo.

#13 ·
On the GY G614's, will they work with normal steel wheels, or do I have to get high pressure wheels since you have to air the up to 110 PSI? It's looking like I will have to go back to LT tires to get everything I want or spend $350 a tires plus another 75 for new wheels to run the G614's. UGH!!!!! I can spend 160 a piece of LT's and get everything but the weight rating. Most of the time, I will be well under that rating too, so it won't matter that much. Trailer weighs under 7000lbs empty and I can have up to 3500 lbs of pin weight and most of the time I am under 7000lbs in cargo.
The wheel rating has to match the tires. Check the wheels, the rating should be stamped on them.

#16 ·
I run LT235/85/16s on my truck and if I owned a trailer the the tires worn on the truck would be moved to the trailer.
I pull new campers from the factories across country and if I ever bought one the STs would be the I first thing change. In 467,000 miles I have had many trailer tire blowouts, never a truck blowout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.