Safety items to ALWAYS do when towing - Page 6 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #51 (permalink)
Crazyxxxinsane
In Rememberance of Sam

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Crazyxxxinsane

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Badger State Diesel Club Member

i Always let ppl know that im doing the checklist and not to come around to talk to me or say anything till im done. Distraction is one of the main issues of missing something and something happening because of one little forgotten chain or strap or wire. Silence is the best friend of safety checks

1995 Chevrolet K1500 4x4 ECSB - 230,xxx Miles - New PMD and Relocation kit - Custom 3" bent down pipe and cross over -Pillar Gauge Pod -Rancho Steering Stabilizer HX40W Turbo -New Harmonic Balancer - 8k HID headlights -"Buddy Chip" - OPS/LP Relay kit installed - New Heavy rear coil over shocks - new glow plugs -"F" Style intake - EGR Delete
1994 Chevrolet K1500 Reg Cab Long Box - Gifted to my father for a surprise
1998 GMC ECLB Dually. 197K Miles-PMD relocate-new IP last year-glow plugs-New Brakes all around-Running board lights-customized FFM relocate-rebuilt injectors-Diamond Eye Exhaust
Proud member #1097 of the 3500 Dually Club
Proud member of the
Old SOB's Club
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #52 (permalink)
motorcyclekelly
Gear Grinder

Hi folks - just joined the group after buying my first diesel. Quite a learning curve. This string has quite a history and very good info but I thought of a a couple of things to add.

LT vs ST tires: there is a difference in the way they are made and tires on trailers tend to carry a higher percentage of the rated weight. As others have noted, pressure should be checked often and pressurized to trailer recommendation. I found an interesting article at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=219.

WD hitches: I measured the unloaded distance from the top of the tires to the top of the wheel wells on my tow vehicle, then loaded the trailer and pulled it a few feet and remeasured. The drop should be even front and rear. My previous tow vehicle was a Honda Ridgeline. I tried less less spring tension (unloaded the front) and then got into a spring monsoon with a horrendous headwind and standing water. It was a handful, wandering all over the road. I stopped and added the tension back in and the problem was solved (gas mileage still sucked tho). You'd think a light trailer wouldn't affect a HD truck but it's a long distance from the rear tires to the hitch point which will act as a lever to lift the front of the truck.

Last thing from experience - weigh your trailer. Cool things you buy from camping world (like those pink flamingos) all add weight.

Several people mentioned checklists, I found a customizable trailer checklist app for my i-phone. Even with the checklist, I got distracted and saw the trailer door flapping open as I pulled out of the RV park.

Kelly

Old 05-31-2015, 08:01 PM   #53 (permalink)
Towing Dude
Glow Plug

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

where did you get the app?
2015 Chevy 3500 Dually CC 4x4, deleted, gooseneck removable hitch, Pullrite Superlight 5th wheel hitch, Linex body protection, Katskin leather interior,tinted all the windows and added high speed Racing stripes!
Proud member # 1156 of the Dually Club!

11 GMC Denali 3500 Black SB/CC 4x4 ( SOLD 09/22/18 )
Firestone air bags Pullrite Superglide 5th wheel 18K hitch Banks exhaust ( hate the looks of the factory )Black tubular running boards Deezee 40 gallon in bed tank , Deleted, LOWERED 2" (REAR) EVERYONE THINKS ITS A 1/2 TON... looks odd pulling the big trailer!

Hauling 2012 BH3585RL Bighorn 5th wheel holiday trailer 15500 gvw, 12018 empty, 2350 hitch weight 38' 3" length 12' 11" high
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #54 (permalink)
motorcyclekelly
Gear Grinder

At the apple App Store. The "rv checklist" by Dan Senatro. I'm guessing android or MS phones would have something similar.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:16 PM   #55 (permalink)
madonetwo
Block Heater

If inappropriate I apologize; our turnover ball hitch installers didn't install the U-bolts beside the ball. They say NC doesn't require them. I live in SC. What about traveling in other states. What about the fact that I have no safety chains on this gooseneck 5th wheel. I just want to be safe. We do walk around, test brake/turn/caution lights....and if tailgate on truck is up LOL.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #56 (permalink)
VanBoy
Diesel Boss

Pacific Iron Mountain Truck Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonetwo View Post
If inappropriate I apologize; our turnover ball hitch installers didn't install the U-bolts beside the ball. They say NC doesn't require them. I live in SC. What about traveling in other states. What about the fact that I have no safety chains on this gooseneck 5th wheel. I just want to be safe. We do walk around, test brake/turn/caution lights....and if tailgate on truck is up LOL.
Interesting. I would "insist" to have it done. If the "kit" by the manufacturers had it, then they were just lazy.... in my opinion.

edit-
There is a local farm shop here in my state, they build "hitches" for "everything". Other then when putting semi truck 5th wheel hitches, EVERYTHING has loops for safety chains....
1981 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.6L N/A x2
1978 VW Rabbit 1.5L N/A

================================================== ==
140amp 1996 alt. May 2016 / HO Water pump, Fan Clutch (used OEM), Crank Pulley-Aug 2015 /Stanadyne PMD installed 6/13 replaced- reinstalled D-Tech ,Soot Trap Delete Jan 18, 2014 / Heath TurboMaster Dec 22, 2013 / New OPS (BWD), OPS Relay mod,
black Stanadyne PMD w/ #5-June 2013 / Dorman relocation kit, D-Tech PMD to bumper, #9 resistor- Jan 2013 / Carter Lift Pump, P74143 10-15psi, 32gph- Dec 2012 / Brought home Dec 17, 2012

Other then that, the Chevy is STOCK.

Last edited by VanBoy; 03-16-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:23 AM   #57 (permalink)
BigMike8504
Diesel Technician
Formerly Mwy123

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Great thread. Shame it has not been bumped in a while. Ill add. When towing, if ANYTHING does not sound or feel right, STOP and check it out. The side of the road is where you want to find and solve a problem, not after the problem has caused a failure at highway speeds. SLOW DOWN when pulling. Safe travel speed is 10 to 15 mph minimum slower than the flow of 4 wheel traffic when pulling a trailer. Your rig will not stop or steer the same with a trailer. Be aware of the speed ratings and load ratings on your tires and remember that 65 in your tow vehicle with large tires can feel like 90 on 15 inch trailer tires.

A word on tie downs. If you use ratchet straps in an over the cargo configuration, make sure to put the binder on the passenger side of the vehicle. If you have to stop and tighten a strap in transit, the grass on the shoulder is much safer than the emergency lane to stand in while doing so.
2004 1500 Silverado 4.8 NV-3500 5-speed
1984 K10 350 4-bbl Th350 up 4 on 35x12.50
1991 C30 454 SM465
1983 K20 Suburban 6.2 700R4
Old 02-14-2019, 03:31 AM   #58 (permalink)
RubyGMC
Clutch

The hitch on my boat has a place for a lockpin, I use a lock. This prevents the trailer from unhitching off the ball. Roads here in the Kootenays (BC) are beat to hell and I have been glad things are locked down when I hit a bad spot in the road like a pothole, uneven pavement, etc.

Definitely want to cross the chains, if the hitch does come off it should be suspended from hitting the road and making one hell of a sparky mess on the highway.

Also like to spray the electrical connectors (male/female) with silicone spray at the beginning of the season. Have some simple tools and spare bulbs in case you have one go on you. Talking to Johnny Law is no fun after boating, especially over a simple signal light that is not functioning.

Give yourself lots of time and patience when hauling a load. Braking and coming to a complete stop can be as much has 50-100 meters! (150'-300'). I have cursed many vehicles that abruptly cut in front of me hauling the boat. Dummies on their bicycles were almost "Sharing The Road" when they drive erratically side by side. Nothing against bicycles on the road, but they are better off on a trail in my humble opinion. Every year a few bicycles get launched into rocky ditches or down steep banks, even a few deaths. They also have to huff Ruby's Spicy Low Sulphur Exhaust. It's a one way trip for those diesel particles into the lungs.

Be defensive as possible and expect the unexpected! Scan ahead of you and look from side to side and concentrate on the road. Safe travels amigos!

Last edited by RubyGMC; 02-14-2019 at 03:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in