Safety items to ALWAYS do when towing - Page 4 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #31 (permalink)
JD hauler
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

get a prodigy brake controller, this is the best controller I have ever used, got to love the boost feature.

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
soopretty
Diesel Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to soopretty

as for the comment your chain should be strong enough for the tongue weight of your trailer you are incorrect. the chain should be rated to the total weight of the trailer you are towing. why would the chain only be strong enough for the tongue weight if the hitch comes undone or gets destroyed what happens to the chains rated for the tongue weight? they
A) if it is quality transport grade chain they distort and bend once you exceed anywhere between 3-4 times the rated working load limit.
B)if it is off shore or non-transport rated grade chain it basically snaps and stretches and then sends your trailer on its way down the road to possibly hurt or kill someone.

not trying to be any sort of @$$%0!3 but this is one of my petpeeves i see thousands of people hauling anything from small utility trailers up to large TT's with using stupid carbiner clips(a little bigger then the ones off of a water bottle) or the improper type of chain and being in the towing business i know the proper way to and not to tow a trailer/vehicle it blows my mind i saw a guy towing an older TT around the 22' with a 97blazer zr2 bumper on the ground with a class III trailer hitch and he was using rope as a safty chain i waited till he stopped at a gas station and polietly told him he was a complete and total **** head and he had no business with being on the road driving a vehicle alone towing a trailer. its people like that they make my blood boil, i can get an insecure load ticket for a strap (the loose end about 2' of it) flapping around sorry it came loose just the least bit but seriously the guy was towing this tailer told me he didnt even have the right size ball it was 2" and he was using 1 7/8". at that point i asked him where it was going and told him he had 2 options he could have my company tow it the 50miles or i was going to flatten the tires on his trailer, i gave him an account rate on the tow and it was cheaper then the gas he would of had to pay since he was moving it to a permanent site.

thanks for letting me rant this is by no means meant to offend any body.

2007.5 LMM D/A CC/SB 2-toned viper blue n carbon metallic, PPE set on 4 DPF removed rolling 35x12.50x18 Afe Stage 2,VTR3 Led LightBar, 8pac Strobe box, 30 other strobe/leds

09' KW T-800 TandemSteer | Tri-Drive With Century 1075 5x Rotator 3-tonedviper blue Carbon metallic and Neon Green Over 210,000 Pounds of winching Power
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #33 (permalink)
armylifer
Glow Plug

Armed Forces Club Member

If you see something unsafe on another person's trailer, CALL A COP. Report the violation and save a life.
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
chevsforever
Diesel Apprentice

Great thread and good tips! I think a big one is distractions. I make a mental note of doing a perimeter check before takeoff just to be sure everything is secure and attached properly.

`02 2500HD MAX/ALLI 4X4 xcab shorty
w/ Superchip pullin toys

Our dirt bike club: cmtrail.org
Other forums: KTMtalk.com/ xrcrasher
ATV connection/ 400crasher (so I wreck alot,I ride fast)
Pontoonboating.com / lounge-lizard
RV.net/ Wanderin fool
Old 09-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #35 (permalink)
Rebelchevy87
Diesel Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Rebelchevy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesail View Post
Somebody else mention using a laser thermometer. I do this as well. Bought one for 29 bucks and almost every gas stop I zap both the tires and bearings. While perhaps a little overkill it does offer a great piece of mind and a fun toy to have for $29. Great entertainment on a long drive, ever wonder how cold it is inside your AC vents? How about the wifes beverage glass?
Just figured I would throw this out there. When using an IR Temp Gun if you are shooting for a reading off a polished or reflective surface you will not get anywhere near an accurate reading. Painted or dulled surfaces they work just fine. I learned this when trying to do some validation work on an induction heating and assembly process.
SOLD 06' Chevy Ex. Cab LT1 4x4 Dark Blue LBZ MODS: EGR blocked & Fingered, PPE Standard Level 3, ISSPro Boost & Pyrometer Gages, TransGo Jr., 4" Straight pipe with no Kitty. Leveled w/ stock keys, PC'd Black H2 Wheels w/ BFG AT 315/70/17's, Bilstien 5100's, Debadged, Removed Moldings/stickers, S.S. Black Step Bars, Resonator Delete.

SOLD - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 6MT, Opera Red
Old 11-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
Fiverfyrmn
Low Boost

In addition to doing the checks that have been listed I also make it a point to look under the trailer check the spring shackles and trailer undercarriage at every stop. I check to make sure the bolts that hold the springs are in place and tight, the welds holding the shackles have not failed, and nothing has come loose such as sewer piping.

No one has mentioned it, but I also use an aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system on the truck and trailer. Its' not really a safety check per se, but it allows you to check all of the tire pressures at any time. It also alerts you to a 10% decrease or increase in pressure on any tire. As anyone who has towed for a long time will attest, a tire can fail on the trailer without you ever knowing until someone flags you down. Been there, done that; had to repair the damage to the trailer. Now I use the TPM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #37 (permalink)
cambirdracing
Diesel Starter

Make sure your load is secured. A few years back, tied my car down, was on a long road trip. First stop checked it, still good. Next stop, checked it and car was against the back door of the trailer. Front straps worked loose going down I10 in Louisiana and let the car slide back. It was even in park with the e-brake on.

code name- Black Sheep

Sold to Kawi77 (Chris) 1-26-2013-Gonna miss it, but the HOA won't

04 C4500-Duramax, Allison, 4.44 rear gears-Bug Magnet
http://photos.bravenet.com/252/047/684/4/9BE3C8B988.jpg

Proud member #996 of the DRW club
Old 11-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #38 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

that is a good point. I do a lot of towing of boats and when doing so I strap both front and rear and position the straps so the buckle end is on the left side. That way you can easily see they come loose.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #39 (permalink)
frieslandgmc
Sparkplug Hunter

I have always gone a few miles down the road and then stop and check that the load is still tied well. Things may shift and things become lose.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #40 (permalink)
car66
High Compression

when i haul cars on my trailer, i only use chains and binders. and something i have always done is get teh binders as tight as possible with a load bar and then wrap a bungee cord around the handle of the binder so that it cannot come loose. anytime i use straps for anything, whether it be on my trailer or in the back of my truck, i have the ratchet mechanism on the drivers side so i can keep an eye on it.

Ext. Cab Long Bed
PMD Cooler in bumper
'99 suburban front clip
home built headache rack
5 inch stacks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in