Curious to how the 2001 to 2006 trucks compare to 2007 and newer trucks? - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
vince99frc
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vince99frc Send a message via Yahoo to vince99frc

Are you saying the towing tunes on most programmers and/or tuning is possibly less than the LBZ/LMM stock for the older trucks? OR just because of the 6 speed they are better in situations like the grapevine or another hard towing grade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_S View Post
I don't think there is much difference between my LBZ (360 HP) and the LMM (365 HP). The LMM has 5 more HP and added emissions which probably negate the 5 HP, and a new body design. If it were an LB7 I might put a programmer on it, but IIRC they are 300 HP, have no cat, and pull well. My brother in law has an LB7 with the Banks 6 gun and 4" exhaust and can keep up with me on flat ground, and only slows a bit more than I do going over the Grapevine. I agree with LtEng5, how much power do you really need, and IMHO if you are climbing lots of hills you might be 5, maybe 10 minutes behind everyone else at the end of the day, and I would be happy with that.

EGR Delete
Suncoast GMAX5 Transmission
EFI Live with DSP5 done by Allan Futral.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Primed2win
Diesel Apprentice

My 0.02.
For most people there is not going to be enough difference to justify upgrading to a newer truck.
The differences will show up when you push the truck toward its capacity.
This can be done either by towing heavy weights or climibing big hills.

Anyone that lives in mountain country will tell you that more gear ratios is a huge advantage when towing in the mountains. Until you done it you won't understand.

There are some mountain passes whereyour speed will dicatated by the terrain Ie. switchbacks that force your speed to be < 30mph. During those times your engine and tranny temps climb and your truck is working hard if you have alot of weight behind it.

Other hilly terrain will have slopes that have your truck looking for the correct gear. Ie 8% grade with 10K lbs behind the truck maybe fine in 4th on a NBS truck but 3rd is too low on a classic and 4th too high, because of less torque from the engine.

Like I said most people will never notice. If you tow frequently in the mountains you are dreaming of the days when the rumored 8 speed Allison will finally come out.

Rhino liner spray in-liner
Truxedo tonneau cover
Precision-Fit seat covers

Otherwise bone stock til the lift goes on
Old 05-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
vince99frc
Diesel Starter

I just hope the 8 speed Allison will fit in the older trucks and only require a computer change..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primed2win View Post

Like I said most people will never notice. If you tow frequently in the mountains you are dreaming of the days when the rumored 8 speed Allison will finally come out.
EGR Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
nekkidhillbilly
Diesel Superstar

KY Diesel place Club Member

buy the 6 speed conversion from suncoast if you want 6 gears honestly they arent any different pulling and the 50 hp from oem isnt much.

66 buick skylark 2d ht in pieces at the moment
Old 05-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
vince99frc
Diesel Starter

I just dont plan on purchasing another truck for a long time if at all. If I can keep my current up to date via not having any issues towing anything the newer trucks can tow I would be content. I do plan on upgrading to a built Allison one day. Just doing the usual research now. Hell adding another tranny cooler and doing the V2 might be all I need for the future, but I wont know until I start putting a load heavier than my cars behind my truck. I should know better when I drive to Cali later in the year to pick up my cousins 15klb boat and tow it back to Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
buy the 6 speed conversion from suncoast if you want 6 gears honestly they arent any different pulling and the 50 hp from oem isnt much.
EGR Delete
Old 05-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
nekkidhillbilly
Diesel Superstar

KY Diesel place Club Member

mine will tow all day long at 12k i dont think you got any worry

hell ppl pull 15k with old psds gassers etc...there all capable might not tow as fast as brand new lmm but 50k price tag would empty your pocket alot quicker.

66 buick skylark 2d ht in pieces at the moment

Last edited by nekkidhillbilly; 05-02-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
RayK
Diesel Nut

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

My LLY doesn't miss 6th gear now that I put 265's on. My rpm at 65 mph is 2k which is the sweet spot. Would it be nice to have the LBZ for the 6th gear and no possible overheating issues. Sure, but mine pull great as is. Now the 2011 model is getting my interest... A lot of improvements.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brad92
Diesel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad92

Lone Star Diesels Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_S View Post
I don't think there is much difference between my LBZ (360 HP) and the LMM (365 HP). The LMM has 5 more HP and added emissions which probably negate the 5 HP, and a new body design. If it were an LB7 I might put a programmer on it, but IIRC they are 300 HP, have no cat, and pull well. My brother in law has an LB7 with the Banks 6 gun and 4" exhaust and can keep up with me on flat ground, and only slows a bit more than I do going over the Grapevine. I agree with LtEng5, how much power do you really need, and IMHO if you are climbing lots of hills you might be 5, maybe 10 minutes behind everyone else at the end of the day, and I would be happy with that.
LB7s do have cats and egr systems depending on the emissions. AND let me tell you, the egr systems suck bad!
Reg Cab Member #105
Young and Poor Club Member #18
Old 05-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Bobaloo
Diesel Head

X2 for Primed2Win.
I often tow my 9K 5th wheel over Monarch Pass, CO which goes 12000 feet. I use manual and keep the rpms at 21-2200. Those mountains are a long pull up and a long push down using the engine to brake. 30-35 mph is a standard speed around tight corners keeping control of your rig. Those 6 gears are appreciated and if you haven't pulled a trailer through a Rocky mountain pass you'll never really know what a great machine these DuraMax /Allison's are!
2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD Ext Cab 4X4 DuraMax/Allison LBZ, Ranch Hand grill gaurd, Billstien Shocks, 265 tires, 118K miles, New Timken Wheel Hubs, Merchant Automotive transfer case pump rub kit, always Mobile 15/40 1300 Delvac
Old 05-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Chris_S
Professional Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince99frc View Post
Are you saying the towing tunes on most programmers and/or tuning is possibly less than the LBZ/LMM stock for the older trucks? OR just because of the 6 speed they are better in situations like the grapevine or another hard towing grade?
I think the 6 speed has an advantage, but if I had the 5 speed it still does the job, and not worth trading up to a newer year. He always catches back up on the downhill side. IMHO I would rather own any D/A that is LBZ or prior. The LMM's are nice, but to much smog crap on them for me, and is just more to break. We both tow up a 13% grade for 11 miles every year, and his truck will pull it without any issues, as will mine. We both start at the bottom, and I will always make it to the top first, but the win isn't by much, maybe 60 to 90 seconds. I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, does the cost of a new truck really worth getting there a few minutes earlier than you do now?

LT265/75-16 BFG Rigged Terrain T/A's
American Eagle 16x8 Series 102 Wheels
MBRP 4" Cat Back Exhaust
Reese 16K Signature Hitch

2001 Ford Excursion - Powerstroke - Sold
2002 Toyota Tundra - Sold
2006 Toyota 4Runner - Sold
2008 Jayco Eagle 299RLS 5th Wheel - Sold
2011 Tundra Crewmax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in