LMM ITBC Problem - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
deminimis
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Well shave my butt and call me purdy. Swapped out the brake pressure sensor and bingo! Problem solved. Got the part from Discount GM Parts (Flow Chev). Best $80 or so I ever spent.

2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro (FOR SALE)

1978 Super Beetle Champagne Ed II (Resto In Progress)

Last edited by deminimis; 07-30-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

[quote=Sharks;3815243]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dur0maxx View Post
Dealer looked at mine today, said it was the pressure sensor or something that reads hydraulic pressure from the master cylinder. I'll know more tomorrow when I pick it up and have the parts list in front of me.

Took mime to the dealer today. I couldn't find the problem myself. It was the same thing..... The pressure switch on the hydroboost. It's fix for now.....

Are you still fixed? Any more problems show up after replacing the brake pressure sensor? And was it raining or wet outside when you would see this ITBC problem?

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 08-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
amgthis
Gear Grinder

same problem same fix

My '08 GMC 2500 Duramax has had the same problem for over a year. I haven't had the need to tow so I basically ignored it. Seeing how the truck is
almost off warranty I went by the dealer and they said that switch was bad on the master cylinder and replaced it, then power bled the front brakes.
The sensor converts the pressure to a voltage output to the trailer brake control to tell it how much to brake. Mine was zero all the time on output since it was dead. All fine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
honda_400ex
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

Mine is doing the same thing. Does anyone have any pictures on how to replace the sensor, or how to test and make sure that is what is bad?
MBRP 409 4" Duals - Edge CTS Race - AFE Intake, Cognito Arms, Bilsteins, Super Diesel Tie Rod Sleeves, Dually Rear Clearance Light, AMP Steps, 6000K HIDs, 20" XD Hoss, 285/55/20 Nitto Terra's, 2011 Bumper/Grille

1987 K20 8" lift 38" Boggers
www.cardomain.com/id/silverado24s
www.alligatorperformance.com
Old 09-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

It's pretty simple. Unplug the sensor, unscrew it, replace it and make sure you put in a new o-ring. Do not lubricate o-ring or sensor. Plug in sensor. Bleed brakes front wheels only.

Lots of people who have problems with their ITBC find that this is the fix for their problems. And the sensor price is pretty reasonable if you shop around.

If you hook your trailer to your truck and the DIC says TRAILER CONNECTED, step on the brakes and the DIC display should show more 'blocks' as you increase the pressure; less blocks as you lighten the brake pedal. If you don't see the 'blocks' increase as you increase pressure, it's likely the sensor.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Ron/Desktop/brake%20sensor.gif[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake sensor.jpg (54.9 KB, 183 views)

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
honda_400ex
Diesel Apprentice

is there any way to test the sensor before removing it or buying a new one?
MBRP 409 4" Duals - Edge CTS Race - AFE Intake, Cognito Arms, Bilsteins, Super Diesel Tie Rod Sleeves, Dually Rear Clearance Light, AMP Steps, 6000K HIDs, 20" XD Hoss, 285/55/20 Nitto Terra's, 2011 Bumper/Grille

Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

The easiest test to rule out trailer problems is to make a tester with a 7 pin plug two sections of wire and an automotive headlamp. BTW, we're over here doing the same thing (sort of) https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=390677
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
honda_400ex
Diesel Apprentice

I've read your other posts, I know its not a trailer issue. I was wondering how to figure out how to troubleshoot the sensor that some seem to have had luck with replacing.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_400ex View Post
I've read your other posts, I know its not a trailer issue. I was wondering how to figure out how to troubleshoot the sensor that some seem to have had luck with replacing.
I'm gonna assume that you made a tester for the ITBC output (if you didn't, quit making excuses), SO...........

The Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor operates from a 5V reference generated within the EBCM. It also has a ground and an output.

Pin A (Ye/Bk tracer)....... Ground (referenced, not chassis)
Pin B (Gray)..................5 Volt reference
Pin C (Orange)..............Sensor output

With the pedal not depressed, key on, measure across B to A with a digital voltmeter. Voltage should be around 1 volt. Have a helper depress, slowly, the brake pedal all the way to full apply, and the voltage should rise to nearly 5 volts. Failure to change voltage will indicate a faulty sensor.

BTW, resistance between the blue and white wires on the trailer must be 2.0 Ohms or less. One magnet will not allow the system to operate under pedal braking BUT it will respond to the manual apply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
honda_400ex
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
I'm gonna assume that you made a tester for the ITBC output (if you didn't, quit making excuses), SO............
Ha ha. yes, I have followed alot of your previous posts. I always check on here before I ask. I have measured ohms on the trailer and it is showing fine.

I tested my plug with your tester, made it free with parts lying around.

I have been reading other posts of issues people have been having and many trips to dealers changing controllers and relays, and anti-lock brake sensors.

This sensor sounds like it might be easy and cheap enough to try first. But i wanted to know if there was a way to test it.

Thanks for all your help. I have learned so much more on trailer brakes and controllers from your posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in