Diesel Place banner

Fifth Wheel to Gooseneck Adapter

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  HBDMax 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok… Just bought a 2006 35 ft fifth wheel with the gooseneck adapter and already have the B&M gooseneck hitch in the truck. I’ve read all of the responses about it “could” void your warranty (which I don’t have ) or cause damage. I’ve called several dealerships and get a mix of responses. (Usually feel most likely it’s based on if they are trying to sell me a new hitch!) Out of all the research I’ve only found one person that spoke about damage but stated it may have been self induced. So… how many of you have actually had a problem or seen a problem yourself, in which was caused by using the fifth wheel to gooseneck adapter? Thanks for the feedback. I’m not trying to do the wrong thing or to be taking chances on the highways with others at stake, but just can’t find any real documented issues that would convince me to go and spend all the extra money when I really like the GN

#2 ·
A dealership that I worked at briefly used to sell the adapters for use on RVs, they had no issue with someone wanting one or the other. I happen to like the fifth wheel better than a gooseneck, but we camp often with a few people who have goosenecks instead of 5er hitches on their campers.

#4 ·
It depends on the trailer, but i wouldn't do it on fifth wheel with a Lippert frame. Keystone uses these on the Laredo and Couger models.

A friend of mine broke a 30 foot Laredo after about 3 years of running an adapter. He was running across I80 an looked in the mirror to see the camper had dropped to about 1" above the bed rails. We had to have a portable welder come to a rest area and brace it. Trust me, tearing the underside body work off in a rest area sucks a$$.

#6 ·
They make a hitch that just uses a hole in the bed that you can put a gooseneck ball in or a fifth wheel hitch. Can't remember the name and as I recall they were a little pricey.
Just another option to look at.

Bill

#7 ·
I am also aware of someone in our group who lost the adapter integrity and was sidelined. Not sure if Lippert or no, but if you have a 5 system you are assured of integrity for life with a 5 match on the other end........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.