Aux Battery hookup - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
davidkerry
Freeze Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Aux Battery hookup

I've got an 09 3500HD Dmax 4x4 SRW and the dealer I bought it from didn't hook up the aux battery feed wire that charges the trailer batteries. The "book" says have the dealer do it, but it's just a wire off the main harness with a terminal attached . Anyone out there done this themselves?

Thanks

Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tanc Crusher
Diesel Ninja

INDP Member

There are two red wires by the fuse box under the hood. Each are labeled to what they are and rolled up up. Next you are to attached to the studs on the front side of the fuse block when the cover is removed. But what I am not sure is if the fuses that are there are real or dummy fuses. May have to get some 40amp fuses for those locations. If you have a meter test to see if 12volts is on the stud to ground.

Brian

Future: SDP S475 Twin Setup is here-install 6-18-11. On board Air with Side Step Tube Air Tanks, Custom Bed Fuel Tank and Water/Meth Tank.
New Toy: 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Red and all stock for now.

Check out: My Garage for pics of the Truck, Mods, and Toys.
UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
rlh2
Gear Grinder

I just picked up my new 09 2500 Duramax yesterday. Today I checked to see if I had 12 volts at the trailer plug on the truck to charge the battery on my travel trailer--did not have 12 volts for charging, however the lights and turn signals worked. Under the hood the wire near the master cylinder was already connected to the stud on the left as you face the engine compartment from the front of the truck. The other wire next to the fender was not connected to the other stud, so I connected it. The fuses were already in place and I have 12 volts at each stud--however I still do not have 12 volts at the female plug for charging the trailer battery--oh well I'll check more tomorrow or it's back to the dealer. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
christopherglenn
Diesel Champ

what you think are fuses, are blanks. pull them and look at the underside. I would bet there are no metal contacts.
2011 Keystone Fuzion 405
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2015 Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser SVHO
2016 Chevy Dually CC 4X4 D/A LML
Member # 465 3500 Dually Club
Sold 05 Chevy 2500HD SB 4X4 D/A LLY

Neighbors must think I run a used car lot.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
rlh2
Gear Grinder

I didn't pull the fuses, but I am getting 12 volts at each stud where the wires are connected so I figured the fuses are good. It seems to be somewhere between the studs and the female plug at the end of the truck. This truck has the intergrated brake control, but I would think that the 12 volt power supply to the trailer plug would be separate and just go straight to the plug. I may need to check the plug itself and the wiring in between--or I could just let the dealer do it.
Thanks for your input.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

If you connected the wire correctly and have power at the stud sounds like a warranty issue to me. I would double check your connections under the hood and meter the plug again. If you still have nothing I would let the dealer look at it.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Old 09-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
rlh2
Gear Grinder

Well the problem with not having 12 volt aux power at the rear plug of the truck is solved.
There are three wires on the 2009 Duramax 2500 for integrated brakes, after market brakes, and 12volt aux power.
The truck came with integrated braking, so one of the wires from the bundle near the master cylinder was already attached to the Larger stud at the underhood fuse box. There is another wire in the bundle near the master cylinder for the auxillary 12 volt source. That wire goes to the smaller stud, 6mm. Both 30 & 40 amp fuses were already installed in the truck. The third wire next to the left front fender is for an after market brake controller. If you install an after market brake controller, you disconnect the integrated brake control wire from the larger stud and put the third wire there.
I am now good to go.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
fedup
Diesel Fanatic

Thank you for your post, I just figured mine out, there are actually 3 wires, I just assumed the big one coming hooked up was hooked up by the dealer and on the wrong post(which actually makes no difference). I looked a little harder for the third wire and it is the one everybody is talking about. I now have juice back at my plug. Should save me a few dead batteries on my trailers. Thanks again
Old 11-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
go-dwr
Self Ignition

I'm going out to try to find my 3rd wire now and hook it up.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
go-dwr
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-dwr View Post
I'm going out to try to find my 3rd wire now and hook it up.
Found it, easy fix but I wish this would have been hooked up already from the factory.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in