Traction Problems - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 06:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
GMCPapa
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Traction Problems

First time member here. I need help with my traction problems. I own a 2005 GMC 2500HD D/A. The only problem I've expereinced with my truck is "traction" on gravel or wet grass.
I understand that a load in the bed of the truck will help but was wondering if anyone had other suggestions that cured this problem for them.
Anyone used a tire that really helped with this problem?
Or how about traction mats/pads, any recommendations concerning them?
Thanks for your help. I am scared to drive across wet grass with this truck.
Thanks
GMCPapa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
chadsalt
Glow Plug

Good luck, I seem to be stuck all the time. I have 4x4, G80, and fairly aggressive (though not mudders) off road tires.........I still wont leave the hardtop without another truck to throw me a tow strap.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
badbowtie169
Diesel Head

Ocean State Diesel Club Member

ive never really had a problem with grass or gravel. a good a/t tire will help and airing it down will give you better contact with the ground. if thats not enough a front locker will really help out and make sure your rear end is locking up when spinning.
06' 2500hd LBZ CCSB,SAS 4 link(Whiskey proof fab) 12'' LIFT, NP273 T-Case swap, 35x12.50x20 mickey thompson atz's on 20x12 pacer rims, fox 2.0 rezzies, PPE std. tuner & airbox mod w/ K&N filter, AFE blade runner, PPE shim kit, PPE high flow feed line, Airdog 2 165, PPE Boost controller, Trans Go Jr, custom made PCV re-route, Fumoto valve, A-pillar/overhead console Autometer gauges, 8 strobe whelen hideaways, red tir3 LED's in grill, mbrp 4'' dp back, hideaway siren, firestone riderite bags w/compressor, B&W turnover GN, EGR blocker , plugged resonator,smoke switch, RDS 60 gal. fueltank/toolbox , recon led smoked cab lights, 6000k HID's fog n lows, leveled mirrors, , colormatched rear bumper,shaved body moldings, NBS badges
96' ECLB dodge 4x4 12v, all stock for now but going to be a full custom build, 4 linked, airirde,twin turbo motor.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
woodchuck2
Diesel Prodigy

Hmmm, i would start with a good set of tires. I have had few if any problems in grass or gravel, in snow the truck is a tank, sand is ok but alot of axle wrap but i am not too impressed with it when it comes to mud. I have owned 2X4's that were for the most part better in mud than this truck.
06 LBZ ECSB, 285 BFG All Terrains, 4" Flowmaster cat-removed, modified air-box with stock filter, Predator on 120hp tune, Kennedy tie rod sleeves, bedliner, window visors, 8' Fischer plow, 8' home made back plow with down pressure, tinted windows and Prodigy brake controller.

Sold, 06 LBZ RCLB, 285 Cooper Discoverer ST's, 8' Fisher plow, Line-X liner. Truck will be missed!

2002 GMC Sierra RCLB 1500 4X4 SLE, 7 1/2' Fisher plow. Replaced the 06 LBZ RCLB.

1965 Buick Skylark 2door post, 401ci, TH400, 10bolt posi
Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
glamisorbust
Diesel Apprentice

Bfg All Terrains Will Solve Your Problems.
2007 Classic Silverado CCSB 4x4 Graystone Metallic. 5% tint all the way around. Flat black powder coated H2's with stock center caps. BFG rugged trail t/a 265/75/17's. Airlift airbags with pump and in-cab controls. Cobra 25 40 channel cb with wilson 5000 magnet mount 6' steel whip. Pioneer AVHP3100DVD head unit with 600 watt amp, two 10" subs downfire underneath back seat. Stock door speakers. EGR blocked. OEM towing mirrors.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
ccurran
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPapa View Post
Anyone used a tire that really helped with this problem?
I had the same problem with my factory tires. I recently bought a new set of Revo's (see sig). HUGE difference. No more traction problems, and they're much less noisy that factory to boot!

cheers & beers,
Chris
Magnaflow 4" turbo back exhaust
Old 01-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mr BaadBoy
Diesel Boss

Camp Ground Terain

I also had this annoying slippage.. have always had the MS Michelin Slippers
Great mileage 80k. After about 50% they would slip in the damp grass or fine gravel. So this past fall i purchased the AT2s And i love them. No mileage comparison's though. I'd love to take them out and kick-up some earth. I have read some post's that they are awesome up in Snow Country. Maybe some one could chime in and give us real time mileage quote's
Michelin Ms2
High Idol Mod/ Duel Headlight Mod
Airlift SuperDuty
Auto Meter/Boost & Pyro/ Cobolt Blue
Complete Blue Led Interior Lighting(except Damn Radio) PPE 160 Lift Pump/Pick-up
Insulated & Sound Proofed+ Rear Heated Seats
Cognito Steering Braces/Yellow Bilstiens
Amsoil Duel Remote By-Pass/ Nictane Fuel Filter NEW Turbo-Horn Mod/ Me
Old 01-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
6.5silverado
Diesel Nut

The stock pizza cutter tires arent worth a ****. get a good set of A/t's and you will be fine.
95 silverado 4x4 3/4 w/ 1 ton rear axle, 4:10 gears, straignt pipes (4 in), custom wastegate, "F" motor rebuilt by "Jasper", guages, cranked T bars, 265/75-16 Mud Countries, 16" Summit aluminum rims, Pro Comp es9000 shocks, '03 cab lights, "4x4 DIESEL" bed decals, rear locker, TSC diamond plate tool box, brake controller, 800 watts of pure loudness, manual TC lockup, high idle(coming soon), Giant "Yamaha" decal across back window
REG CAB MEMBER #60
TOO LOUD MEMBER #16

Competition riders of America XC racer
'04 YZ250F

Old 01-17-2009, 01:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
JonDaytona
Glow Plug

Michigan Oil Burners Member

I would hate to sound like a salesman, but I can't believe the difference in traction with these new Dakota M/T's I just bought. I had Toyo A/T's and I've been stuck in snow and usually spun in the rain trying to take off while having to put it in 4x just to pull into traffic on a rainy day. With these new tires, I haven't even used 4x yet and it's been snowing like crazy around here! That is, if you can handle having a mud tire, as most complaints are from the road noise. It don't matter to me since I drive a noisy diesel and I don't have a muffler, I barely notice.

"Other Vehicles"
'14 Chevy Cruze ECO Diesel 2.0 (TinkerToy)
'06 Silverado LT2 2500HD 4x4 CC/SB LBZ/6spd 110k miles (Dad's first diesel)
'79 TransAm (never-ending project)
'08 Sportsman 4x4 Stealth 800HO
'19 Coachman Catalina Trailblazer 26TH Toy Hauler 29' TravelTrailer (somewhere 2 live while having fun) 7,700lbs
'90 Rinker Fiesta Vee 250 (fun on the water) 8000lbs on trailer
Old 01-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
WVHunter
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Do you mean when you have your trailer attached? When I had my travel trailer attached with the weight distribution hooked up I had the same problem so then I would take the weight distribution bars off when pulling in and out of campsites, makes it easier and gives you the tounge weight for traction.

2009 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, SRW, LT,Z71,4x4,ec,lb,LMM, EFI Live, New Version Dick Cepek Fun Country LT265/70/17 tires, Magnaflow 5" exhaust-no muffler, Flo-Pro downpipe,FASS 150 lift pump, Banks Intercooler hot side tube, AFE Full Metal Power intake. Member #36 of the 3500 SRW Club....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in