Which hitch? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
RTDuramax
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Which hitch?

Hello all,
I am looking to buy the Rage'n FA3005 5th wheel and was wondering which hitch I should buy. Like my sig says I have the 2007.5 2500HD D/A SB 2x4. I am looking at the Pulrite Slider and the 5th Airborne sidwinder. What are the pros and cons of these 2 hitches? Also will my truck handle the Rage'n toy hauler?

Thanks,
Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cabriolet86
Diesel Fanatic

5th Airborne Sidewinder isn't a hitch, its a pin box for your trailer. And by Pulright Slider, I assume you mean the one that auto-slides? You wouldn't use the Pullright and the 5th Airborn together. They both achieve the same thing.

Do you have a link to the specs for the toy hauler?

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
RTDuramax
Heat Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabriolet86 View Post
5th Airborne Sidewinder isn't a hitch, its a pin box for your trailer. And by Pulright Slider, I assume you mean the one that auto-slides? You wouldn't use the Pullright and the 5th Airborn together. They both achieve the same thing.

Do you have a link to the specs for the toy hauler?

Hey Cabriolet86,
I must have worded it wrong. I do know that the 5th Airborne with the sidewinder is a king pin box and not the hitch. The question is which system is better? Pullrite slider or the 5th Airborne Sidewinder system. I heard that because the Sidewinder moves the pivit point 20" back the 5th wheel seems to feel more like a bumper TT when backing up.
The Rage'n GVWR is 13960# with a dry hitch weight of 1960#.
www.rageninc.com is the web site for Ragen.
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cabriolet86
Diesel Fanatic

I had a nice long response, but it didn't post for whatever reason. Here's the short version:
I prefer Sidewinder. Pullright is heavy and expensive. I don't think you need either. I have a short box and have never used my manual slider.

And that truck will be over your GVWR and GCWR, but not enough that I'd worry about it. Add airbags to the back end of your truck and have fun.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
HossLanier
Glow Plug

Louisiana Diesel Truck Association Member

Look at the companion turnover. I had one of these and pulled the largest RV's that our company transported. It swivels left to right and front to back. I loved it. Rated for over 16K. Look in my garage and see a few pictures or on myspace.

http://www.turnoverball.com/

2005 K3500 Crewcab Long Wheel base. Edge Juice with Attitude, Sirius Starmate 3, B&W gooseneck hitch, RDS 91 Gallon Aux fuel tank with air tailgate and 5th Wheel shorty toolbox. Running LT235/85R16E Bridgestone Dueler Revos. Fred's 1 1/2 inch spacers.

Jim Taylor Chevrolet.
http://www.jimtaylorchevy.com/
24YEARS Service & Parts.

Dually Member #571

MEMBER #17 OF THE LOUISIANA CHAPTER DIESEL PLACE CLUB

http://www.myspace.com/hosslanier

Last edited by HossLanier; 06-11-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
blackdirtymax
Diesel Fanatic

I just orderded the companion myself. I've heard many good things about it and I hope it's all it's cracked up to be. I'd thought about getting one of the slider hitches, but then all I'd heard about them they aren't worth the hassle. Hopefully it's all it's supposed to be.
SOLD: '03 2500HD Dirtymax, black, extended cab/short bed, ZF-6, debadged, K&N intake, AFE 4 inch straight pipe,15% tinted windows, B&W turnover gooseneck, TST Powermax, South Bend DD Sprung Hub, 285/75R16 Cooper STTs, Rhino-Liner

'02 GMC 2500HD, red CC, ally, Autometer boost and pyro, Ranch Hand bumpers front and rear, Rhino-Liner, Gooseneck Hide-A-Ball, Reese fifth wheel, Weld Typhoons
Old 06-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cabriolet86
Diesel Fanatic

Really, the only reason to get the turnover ball is if you want a flat bed when you remove the hitch. There isn't a slider option at all, even a manual slider option.

I have a Reese 16k with manual slide in my truck. Saved quite a few hundred over the turnover ball. But I do have rails in my bed after the hitch is out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in